Quantcast

C-ville freeriders?

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I just moved here to Charlottesville and I have been looking for local freeriders to ride with and all I have found so far are two, one of which I met through RM and the other is his girlfriend. There does not seem to be much of a scene here which is unfortunate because everywhere I look in this town I see potential for jumping/dropping. If there is anyone in this town or nearby who would like to scout out various possibilities in and around C-ville, let me know who you are and lets open up this town to a different style of riding.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Try searching this topic as it's been brought up a few times. Basically, there's not much; a few urban drops to flat here and there, but that gets old really quick. There are a few ladders and jumps up at O'hill, and the skate park downtown (which has been off and on whether mtn bikes are allowed). I'd try to get used to some agro-XC style riding if I were you. If you're a student, go to the activities fair on the 23rd (?) to try to meet some riders. And get used to O'hill; I've been riding there since '98 and it's still fun.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
There are freeriders/downhillers, or whatever you want to call it, in C'ville. There just isn't any organization that brings them together. The mountain bike club, which I don't think is very active these days, is geared toward XC/trailrding and there isn't a Freeride Club like at VT.

My advice to you would be to just go out and ride and introduce yourself to people you see on the trails or around campus, and keep an eye out for DH bikes. While struggling up a steep climb at O'hill the other day, a guy with a 888 almost ran me over coming down the trail, so I know there are folks out there. Try sending an email to the club in a couple of weeks too (by that time the newbies should have been added to the club lists).

Good luck!

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Well at least this information is helpful if not uplifting. I am determined to get a group of riders going in this area because like mattd stated, they are here, I just need to find them which is why I placed this post.
In the meantime, if anyone would like to get together and scout out some locations or already have some in mind, let me know! And I am NOT opposed to traveling to other locations, within reason, to have a good time on my bike with others.

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
o good deal..however i think i will just end up buying an 05' stinky dee-lux at the year's closing. I have freeride at my house and I know people in c-ville who freeride so PM me if u want to ride..

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
Wood dog do you have the big mountain cycle or vp free?

There are a few secretive things urban wise

that arent that bad one 9 foot drop to sorta tranny its worth a couple hits