Quantcast

CA speeding ticket

Mar 6, 2007
Anyone know how much a speeding ticket would be for doing 105 in a 65? And will I be able to go to traffic school?

what a crappy week...

Mar 6, 2007
Well it could have been much worse. I wasn't weaving or driving recklessly, which I would assume is why it was only considered an infraction rather than a misdemeanor. I'm just trying to keep my insurance premiums down, I don't care about the fine too much.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
your actually lucky you didnt go to jail, at that speed the officer has the choice of arresting you. As far as your cost, it will depend on what county, and what zone you were in, just hope to God you were not in a construction zone.

Oh and By the way a 105, you automatically get reckless driving added

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I dont know about Cali but in Virginia anything over 100 usually means some jail time....trust me...did three days in Covington Va for 103 in a 55...I would def. get a lawyer to keep you out of jail. I know that with the fines in Va that ticket would cost you over 2 grand.

Mar 6, 2007
I know for a fact the price cannot exceed $500. I just read that on the Kern county website, which is where the ticket is from. I have heard that reckless driving is automatically added, but I have also heard that it is only added if the officer writes it on the ticket. I have also heard that I might be eligible for traffic school, but I can't find a sure answer.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I hate to disagree, but in California, your fine can most defenetly be over 500 dollars, In fact I would expect it when breaking 100mph. I have been looking but cant find anything myself as to how to calculate the total, You used to get a paper with your ticket that would show you how to figure the total. But its been a very long time since I have had a ticket

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I believe You get 2 points on your Lic for that one
and

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22348-22366

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a
conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of
Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.
(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in
convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor
Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just thinkin, cuz I work in Kern County and supervise folks who write tickets like the one you got, but you may be looking at $800+. And 40 over should have gotten you a reckless, wait to see the judge in Bakersfield...
I will check a bail schedule tommorow at work.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I've gotten my fair share of tickets and I learned early to FIGHT THEM!! Even if you're guilty, everyone is guilty, but tickets are business and business is negotiations. Here's how it works in PA.

You fight the ticket at the local level and they hang you, but you can spend another 60 bucks to take it to the county level. This is where it gets interesting because you are small beans there and the cop doesn't want to go all the time. I had the DA walk right up to me and say he'd cut my speed and points in half if I made his day easier and FASTER!!. Just like business, the court wants to reduce it's cycle time on traffic ticket prosecution.

Even if the DA does not approach you, you can probably approach him and just ask if you can plead it down just a little- you got nothing to loose but another 100bucks, but it will carry out the points and such for months- it's like 9 months out here. The points are almost gone before they even become official. Look into it and don't be lazy.

The reason they didn't arrest you because it would cost them more time and money.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Get a Lawyer. In WA lawyers who specialize in traffic violations charge $300-500 and can could get you off scott free for some pretty absurd violations.

CritEastwood

Chimp
Jan 11, 2008
Apartment
I got a warning ticket last year for 31 in a 25. The only reason it was a warning was that the cop was surprised that a) his radar gun picked up a cyclist and b) that said cyclist was on a fixed gear singlespeed in a flat section of roadway. The cop was an admitted weekend warrior roadie.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I got a warning ticket last year for 31 in a 25. The only reason it was a warning was that the cop was surprised that a) his radar gun picked up a cyclist and b) that said cyclist was on a fixed gear singlespeed in a flat section of roadway. The cop was an admitted weekend warrior roadie.
That is most excellent. :clapping:

Anyone else try to see how high they can get those stupid radar "your current speed is" trailers to register while you're riding?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Get a Lawyer. In WA lawyers who specialize in traffic violations charge $300-500 and can could get you off scott free for some pretty absurd violations.
Or alternatively, you could sack up, take your lumps and GO A BIT F*CKING SLOWER NEXT TIME.
Where I'm from that speed would get your car put in the impound yard for 48 hours.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
That is most excellent. :clapping:

Anyone else try to see how high they can get those stupid radar "your current speed is" trailers to register while you're riding?
There's a speeding camera on a downhill near me that I want to see if I can trip. Maybe even put my plate on my back just to see how fast i was going or if they'll give a cyclist a ticket, but the $75 is a big negative not sure if it's worth it.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Anyone know how much a speeding ticket would be for doing 105 in a 65? And will I be able to go to traffic school?

what a crappy week...
When I lived in California (early 90s), 15mph over the speed limit was the cutoff for traffic school. Even had an officer reduce my speed to get in under the cutoff.:clapping:

Mar 6, 2007
I don't usually drive that fast, but when you are going through the desert without any traffic your speed isn't the first thing you think about. Anything over 85 is usually out of my comfort zone. As for the attorney, it costs a flat rate of 950, which I am still considering even though it's a pretty ridiculous sum of money.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I really really hope that take your license away AND give you a hefty fine AND raise your insurance rates.

105 in a 65... moron :disgust1:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Little late on that one, look 4 posts before yours.

Hey, if you're a BMXman, how come I never see you over in the BMX/DJ forum?

LOL...good point....I got the forum added to RM and I use to post there quite a bit but to much of a immature kid fest for me now...plus I can't ride right now so I have only really been posting in the non riding forums....D

splat

Nam I am
Either your Legs were going like a Bat out of hell , or you are pushing a Monster gear ! Either Way , Good Job ! :thumb: