Quantcast

Ca you tell me if this is ethical?

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Ok, so last Christmas my Brother-asshole-law gave me a Trance 3. Today I was talking to his wife, my sister and told her I was selling it and buying a new bike. She told him and he went crazy. He said if he would have known that I was going to sell it he would have sold it himself. Now she wants me to give it back because I've been an asshole? What the hell, is that even right? If it is a gift do I not have the right to do with it what I please? I love my sister like most brothers do and I've been grateful that he has let my borrow his camera equipment and that he gave me $1500 bike, but really, can I do what I please with it?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If you were to be found 'not guilty', it would be on a technicality. I'm sure you're probably a nice guy, but if someone gives you a bike(or anything) as a gift- presumably to use- you should use it for AT LEAST a year or so before considering alternatives. To do otherwise appears somewhat less than classy.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
He and she are both being highly unreasonable. If anything he could have just told you that he does not want you to sell it and leave it at that. No reason to get all fired up about it.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Ok, so last Christmas my Brother-asshole-law gave me a Trance 3. Today I was talking to his wife, my sister and told her I was selling it and buying a new bike. She told him and he went crazy. He said if he would have known that I was going to sell it he would have sold it himself. Now she wants me to give it back because I've been an asshole? What the hell, is that even right? If it is a gift do I not have the right to do with it what I please? I love my sister like most brothers do and I've been grateful that he has let my borrow his camera equipment and that he gave me $1500 bike, but really, can I do what I please with it?
Dunno kid, sounds like your're kinda spoiled. Let's see... You're only 15, your brother-in-law let you borrow his camera equipment then GAVE you a $1500 bike, now you want to sell the biike less than a year later and can't see how ungrateful that makes you look? Wow. Wait until you have to work for a living, pay bills, etc. Then, maybe, just maybe, you'll understand how far your brother-in-law went to try to be cool towards you. Cameras and the equipment aren't cheap nor is the bike he gave you. So, yes, you have been an @sshole. You should just say "thank you for the bike", "sorry for being such a little d!ck" , and get a part time job to earn the money for whatever you wanted to buy with the cash you would have gotten after selling your Christmas present. JMHO.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dunno kid, sounds like your're kinda spoiled. Let's see... You're only 15, your brother-in-law let you borrow his camera equipment then GAVE you a $1500 bike, now you want to sell the biike less than a year later and can't see how ungrateful that makes you look? Wow. Wait until you have to work for a living, pay bills, etc. Then, maybe, just maybe, you'll understand how far your brother-in-law went to try to be cool towards you. Cameras and the equipment aren't cheap nor is the bike he gave you. So, yes, you have been an @sshole. You should just say "thank you for the bike", "sorry for being such a little d!ck" , and get a part time job to earn the money for whatever you wanted to buy with the cash you would have gotten after selling your Christmas present. JMHO.
The issue with a gift like this is that an appropriate gift for Xmas typically costs $100, unless your bro-in-law is Bill Gates. That kind of gift you could probably do what you want with, without any flak.

However, when someone gives you a nice bike, the idea was that you obviously would ride it.

There are a lot of examples like this: my bud had to sell his ti Colnago and keep some POS alu frame because his family bought it for him; I gave my cousin a $500 hardtail for free because I wanted her to ride more.

Basically, if you are not going to ride a very nice bike, then you give it back.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Alright, I'm looking for a job now..thank you, I'm grateful for everything I own. If you ask any of my friends and if you actually knew me you would know I'm not spoiled, nor am I wealthy. For god sakes my mom just started selling Avon to keep a roof over our heads. Lets just say I'm in the right place at the right time? I've rode the hell out of my bike, it needs alot of work, thats why I even thought of buying a whole new bike. I need new brakes, new fork, new wheelset, and new shifters. All I wanted to do was sell it for a decent price, buy a .243 and put new all new parts on it. I live in a freakin 2 bedroom duplex, Mud n sweat you know how big these duplexes are, your friend lived in them. I work hard for what I have, and I don't have much. I come along what I have by accident, it was his idea to give me the bike. I geuss your right on one part, I should have kept it longer before saying anything, but when you a give a gift to someone, you don't ask for it back, that's what I've learned with my 15 years and 350 days on earth.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I have to agree.

I just gave my brother in law a $1500 Ti hard tail to ride since when he got here he had nothing. If he were to flip around and try to sell it, I think his sister would kick his ass long and hard well before I got to him.

So yes, you're being an ass. Save up, buy your own rig, ride what you have until it dies. That shows respect and appreciation.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Now that's even more of an asshat thing to say.

Honestly, I would have taken the bike back the minute I heard you were going to sell it...

Like everyone else has said, your brother in law is not Bill Gates. That's a hell of a nice gift, even if it was intended to get him some BJ points with your sister under the Christmas Tree in her naughty schoolgirl lingerie while barking like a Dolphin...

Do the right thing here, if you don't I can promise you that in years to come this will cause heat between the two of you. If he's grumpy enough to take the bike back, he's grumpy enough to carry a grudge. You won't like it in years coming if he always has a problem with you.

Oh yea, I wouldn't count on getting another gift like that again from him...

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Yeah, Tattooo can you ever for once in your life make a post without some pervented statement, def. when it's about someone sister? I really would appreciate if you didn't say things like that, not only does it make you seem like a total perv, but also like you will never once in your life have a serious relationship. How would you like me talking sh** about your sister and her lingerie? :banghead:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
damn, you need to learn to take a joke.

By the way there speed racer, I've been married for five years and with the same woman for over 10. I've learned to take jokes, part of what keeps me married.

you're the one the who brought your sister in with that little sh!t comment about:
The only reason he gave me the bike was to make himself look good to my sister. :brow: I didn't throw that in, did I?
So obey the first rule of the Monkey, if you don't want something made disgusting, then don't discuss it.

maybe you should take some of that indignation and consider how your brother in law feels.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Yeah, Tattooo can you ever for once in your life make a post without some pervented statement, def. when it's about someone sister? I really would appreciate if you didn't say things like that, not only does it make you seem like a total perv, but also like you will never once in your life have a serious relationship. How would you like me talking sh** about your sister and her lingerie? :banghead:
Dude, you don't have to worry about your sister doing those things anymore - she's married.... she only did that stuff in college!! :busted:

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
if the bike REALLY needs all those parts you mentioned, and you can't ride the bike without them, then tell him that, and tell him it makes more sense to sell it, if he has any logic he'd understand.

if the bike is in fair shape, and you can ride it for another year - do so, and apologize, say you did not mean no harm, and you really appreciate the bike. In that same year, get a job, save up some money, then sell the bike once it turns 2 years, and get a new one.

You are young, you have PLENTY of riding time ahead of you, plenty of other bikes ahead of you. Another year riding on the same bike is not gona hurt. * I rode the same bike for 4 seasons during college

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Alright alright, everyone calm down!

First off, Bryan is not a spoiled kid. Probably even a lot less spiled than most on this board were at his age. He's actually a great kid with a good head on his shoulders in general. He obviously asked this board for their opinion thinking he could get some honest answers. While honest answers were given, they could have been a little less berating. I'm sure Bryan would take it to heart a bit more.

Secondly, Tattoo was definitely just kidding. Sure he has a more perverted sense of homur, but it in no way should be taken seriously. It's funny how the older you get, the funnier the more taboo stuff becomes. Over time it just takes a lot more edgy humor to get a good laugh. You should here the **** talking my co-workers and I dish out to each other, it is WAAAAAAY brutal but we all take it lightly and laugh along even when the joke is on us.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Seriously, its not like she really makes dolphin squeels, right...

Or does she? If so, I have to remap my whole advice...

Assuming she does, go like this:

- Make a big stink with your brother in law, get him to punch you first. Your sister will leave him.
- After she revisits the good fun of college, she'll get back into wanting a husband.
- I'll take her as my second wife (its not bigamy, its big of me) and I'll be your new brother-in-law. Yes, she'll be making like a dolphin from time to time, but you can ride my Nomad as a fair trade.

See, things could be worse.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Sounds good to me. :bonk:

In 9 months I'll turn around and sell it for a .243

EDIT: He said I could RIDE his Nomad, not give it to me. =( I'll just be a COMPLETE ass and not even tell him I want to sell it.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails

dude trust me bryan is not a spoiled kid. hes about the opposite. (but jeremey is definatly really generous, possibly too generous)

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
Alright, I'm looking for a job now..thank you, I'm grateful for everything I own. If you ask any of my friends and if you actually knew me you would know I'm not spoiled, nor am I wealthy. For god sakes my mom just started selling Avon to keep a roof over our heads. Lets just say I'm in the right place at the right time? I've rode the hell out of my bike, it needs alot of work, thats why I even thought of buying a whole new bike. I need new brakes, new fork, new wheelset, and new shifters. All I wanted to do was sell it for a decent price, buy a .243 and put new all new parts on it. I live in a freakin 2 bedroom duplex, Mud n sweat you know how big these duplexes are, your friend lived in them. I work hard for what I have, and I don't have much. I come along what I have by accident, it was his idea to give me the bike. I geuss your right on one part, I should have kept it longer before saying anything, but when you a give a gift to someone, you don't ask for it back, that's what I've learned with my 15 years and 350 days on earth.
i agree that is exactly 100 percent correct. i know bryan

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
hes pretty much ridden that thing to a bloody pulp. he hit a tree head on going like 20mph. he doesnt remember a thing
DAMNIT, everytime you bring that damn tree up, I think really really hard what happened...AND I CAN"T REMEMBER, no matter how hard I try. Damn concussions. All I remember is the doctor telling me not to move my neck, and then he twisted it in some weird way and I let out a big girlyish yelp. Dude, lets go up there soon, and see if anything new is built up.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Fifteen shots of vitamin J would earn you my utmost respect.

And the use of my favorite barf bucket.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Shots, I'll take 15, thank you sir.

VaNIlLin81 goes into this local bar and asks the bartender for a shot of Jager. Bartender pours him one, and VaNIlLin81 tosses it back.

VaNIlLin81 ask for another one, and another and another until he does 15 shots of Jager.

The bartender asks "why did you just do 15 shots?" VaNIlLin81 says he just got his first blowjob.

The bartender says, "Well congratulations! Let me pour you a shot on the house."

VaNIlLin81 responds, "Don't bother. If 15 shots won't kill the taste, nothing will..."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sounds good to me. :bonk:

In 9 months I'll turn around and sell it for a .243

EDIT: He said I could RIDE his Nomad, not give it to me. =( I'll just be a COMPLETE ass and not even tell him I want to sell it.
I was joking with my friend's 3 year old son, who was playing ball near the TV. I said if I broke my friend's tv, I would replace it. I did say I wouldn't want to replace it, and if I could get out of it, I would. But I would be obligated to replace it.

I am serious though, I would replace his tv, but I would not be happy about it. But that's why he and I are good friends, because I am willing to do the hard thing.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
VaNIlLin81 goes into this local bar and asks the bartender for a shot of Jager. Bartender pours him one, and VaNIlLin81 tosses it back.

VaNIlLin81 ask for another one, and another and another until he does 15 shots of Jager.

The bartender asks "why did you just do 15 shots?" VaNIlLin81 says he just got his first blowjob.

The bartender says, "Well congratulations! Let me pour you a shot on the house."

VaNIlLin81 responds, "Don't bother. If 15 shots won't kill the taste, nothing will..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV

Wow, I just pissed a little in my pants.
maybe (s)he should shift gears to tequila, or bleach.

29Colossus

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
The guy gave you a present for Christmas. It was a bike. You rode the bike, and you now feel the need for a new bike due to the condition your now worn Christmas present is in.

OMG! You are so spoiled!

The guy should be phuking happy. You are selling a well used bike to get another one. It is YOUR bike. You can do whatever you want with it. It is not ungrateful to sell the bike that you were given, and buy another one. It sounds like you got great use out of the bike. It is not like you are selling the gift to buy an ounce of weed or anything.

Thank your brother in law again for the bike. It was a great present. If he can't see your reasoning then simply explain to him that you have worn the bike down, and you would like to sell the Trance for something newer. He doesn't have to understand.

The issues that people are bringing up here are ridiculous. Do what you want with the bike. You will have NOTHING to feel bad about.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
not if they don't get caught:brows:
Its hard to miss some bloke riding around on a Nomad with an orange headset, pink hubs with white wheels and green nipples (the wheels, not me.)

then all you have to do is sight in at the range you're most confortable probing out the illusive pink spray from.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
The guy gave you a present for Christmas. It was a bike. You rode the bike, and you now feel the need for a new bike due to the condition your now worn Christmas present is in.

OMG! You are so spoiled!

The guy should be phuking happy. You are selling a well used bike to get another one. It is YOUR bike. You can do whatever you want with it. It is not ungrateful to sell the bike that you were given, and buy another one. It sounds like you got great use out of the bike. It is not like you are selling the gift to buy an ounce of weed or anything.

Thank your brother in law again for the bike. It was a great present. If he can't see your reasoning then simply explain to him that you have worn the bike down, and you would like to sell the Trance for something newer. He doesn't have to understand.

The issues that people are bringing up here are ridiculous. Do what you want with the bike. You will have NOTHING to feel bad about.
Just mind the long term ramifications.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
hmm bryan would buy an once with the money, i wouldent put it past him. Bryan isent spoiled. although his house if full of honey buns. Ive paid for two out of my three bikes, but not my downhill bike so.

bryan I think that you should sell the bike and buy a more relaible on that thing has been a pos for ever.

and there is nothing new up there. So. dont go up there. but we should fix up O hill.

29Colossus

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
hmm bryan would buy an once with the money, i wouldent put it past him. Bryan isent spoiled. although his house if full of honey buns. Ive paid for two out of my three bikes, but not my downhill bike so.

bryan I think that you should sell the bike and buy a more relaible on that thing has been a pos for ever.

and there is nothing new up there. So. dont go up there. but we should fix up O hill.
Do you get paid to type like that? It hurts.

:banghead: