Quantcast

Cable cutting

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fuck Comcast. They just raised my rate 15% so I'm cutting cable. Wifey is on board, finally. Plan is to go HD antenna, Comcast Business to get a guaranteed 50/5, using Netflix/Prime/Hulu, and MagicJack for phone. While I can't get rid of them entirely, I will only being paying them less than half and get guaranteed minimum speeds.

What I'm stuck on is HD Antennas. I have no idea best options and given there have to be at least some cord cutters here, there have to be recommendations. So please, what do you all recommend?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fuck Comcast. They just raised my rate 15% so I'm cutting cable. Wifey is on board, finally. Plan is to go HD antenna, Comcast Business to get a guaranteed 50/5, using Netflix/Prime/Hulu, and MagicJack for phone. While I can't get rid of them entirely, I will only being paying them less than half and get guaranteed minimum speeds.

What I'm stuck on is HD Antennas. I have no idea best options and given there have to be at least some cord cutters here, there have to be recommendations. So please, what do you all recommend?

Is this befitting of the level of luxury you have become accustomed to?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
We're paying Comcast $188 a month for internet, telephone and TV, it's too much but I still pay. In my area there is only one channel that is broadcast over the air. When I lived in Denver there were half a dozen network and 2 pbs channels to flip through and all were free.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is this befitting of the level of luxury you have become accustomed to?
:D

I used to run an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4 when reception was an issue. Now I think I have a Leaf Mohu Plus, but I don't use it. If you, you being stoney rather than westward-bound Westy, can be arsed to come up to Stapleton you can have it.

We watch Blu-Rays or stream, and for the rare live sporting even we want to watch we have CenturyLink Prism TV at least for this year. (Next year I think I'll cut down to just the gigabit fiber optic internet service.)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
:D

I used to run an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4 when reception was an issue. Now I think I have a Leaf Mohu Plus, but I don't use it. If you, you being stoney rather than westward-bound Westy, can be arsed to come up to Stapleton you can have it.

We watch Blu-Rays or stream, and for the rare live sporting even we want to watch we have CenturyLink Prism TV at least for this year. (Next year I think I'll cut down to just the gigabit fiber optic internet service.)
You live at Stapleton? I remember flying in and out of the old airport before you were born... my dad worked for United, Denver was a hub and they had a flight training center there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You live at Stapleton? I remember flying in and out of the old airport before you were born... my dad worked for United, Denver was a hub and they had a flight training center there.
Yup. It's turned from an old airport with crappy surrounding neighborhoods (because who wants to hear planes all the time?) to a shiny new neighborhood with yuppies, good schools... and still crappy surrounding neighborhoods. It's close to where I work, which is basically I-225 and Colfax, yet has good public schools.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Get the cheap HD antenna from Amazon. Being in Highlands Ranch, you're probably high enough to just point it northwest IN the house and get most OTA.

In my case, I had to mount it on the fucking roof. And we still get dodgy reception sometimes.

But you know what? It matters not. Last time the TV was on here for OTA broadcasting was the Superbowl.

This reminds me, I really need to go down to the local Comcast office and have them give me the $30/mo internet deal again for awhile...