Quantcast

Cable TV Question about wiring

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Superbowl related question: lets say you have two tvs but one cable box (comcast). Can you split the wire between the tv and box and have it go to both TV's?

Or is the box tied to only one TV?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
You can split the signal going to the tv with the appropriate adapter(s). You might even try using the unused outputs on the cable box. For example, if you are using HDMI for your main screen, use the component outputs for the secondary.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
depending on box you have you might be able to use two different output on the cable box and split them b/w two tv's. im guessing its a Motorola box?

you should be able to use a splitter before the cable box and run a separate coax feed to the other tv..it will be basic cable, but should work

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, you can split the output from the box to more than one TV. My old test lab had 6 TV's off one box and 6 boxes to 1 TV using a switch.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
depending on box you have you might be able to use two different output on the cable box and split them b/w two tv's. im guessing its a Motorola box?

you should be able to use a splitter before the cable box and run a separate coax feed to the other tv..it will be basic cable, but should work
I think that's the old paradigm.

Now with that stupid digital conversion, now you need a new tv or a cable box.

I think if we split after the box, all the tvs might be on one channel but's that ok.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I think that's the old paradigm.

Now with that stupid digital conversion, now you need a new tv or a cable box.

I think if we split after the box, all the tvs might be on one channel but's that ok.
Well, like it was already said, they will be on the same channel, you cant split before the box or it wont work.........

You must only be half asian

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Before I switched to fiber optic, I had cable and split the signal before the box. I had basic cable on the 2 SD TV's I have and everything I was paying for on the HDTV.
This. It depends on whether you have digital (only) cable, or if you have a mix of digital/analog. Assuming you're talking about standard definition, you could probably do it from the cable box itself and not need a splitter (you'd still only have one channel): your cable box should have several different outputs on it, coaxial, S-video, Component, etc. These cable boxes are usually "dumb" and just output to all components at the same time. I do this with mine, as I have the normal component audio output hooked up to the TV, and the optical output hooked up to the stereo. Since it outputs sound to both devices, when I want normal TV, I use that, or when I'm watching a movie I can just turn on the stereo and get the sound that way. I'd assume that video would work the same way...