Quantcast

Cables? How much difference...

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok. My question is about cables (duh!) I am looking at replacing mine but don't know if upgrading them actually helps. I am talking Aztec or Gore cables. What are the differences between these and normal? Are they worth it?

I am an XC rider, Colorado conditions (mostly dry).

Anyones 2 cents (be it US, Canadian, whatever!) is apreciated!

Thanks.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
I have Aztecs, which I installed after some shifting problems due to aging equipment (and looser tolerances.) They work nicely and are a lot cheaper than Gore, and I hear, easier to set up. But if you have no problems, don't waste your time or money on anything other than regular SIS.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I live in CO and use the slick cables (not coated) They are actually just a normal braided cable that is pulled through a die to make it smooth. These work great as do the XTR's if you want a cable with a little more thickness.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
The thing about cable is proper care and istallation ( but if you have extra cash you can buy goretex I think they are way over rated for dry areas of riding ) ,first thing is to use a good housing ( the projects don`t work LOL LOL LOL :rolleyes: ) I happen to like the SIS Shimano when I install a cable for shifting or brakes, I feed the cable through the housing with grease one my fingers and I try to grease it all the way ,I then put the cable into it`s mount on the DER. now I adjust it , then I stretch the cable with my hand I pull that bad boy as hard as I can the re-adjust it , My cables last along time ,Also when I do my maintenence I regrease the cables ( I check my bikes out about every month or so ) . IMO the regular cables work great and they only cost about 12x less than a gore-tex cable BTW the braded cables do not strech like a regular cable

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
If you take brand new standard cables and brand new gore cables, you won't detect much difference. Ride for a month or two in muddy conditions and the standard cable will deteriorate more than the gore stuff because gore is better sealed. It has a long uniterupted liner the entire run. That is why it stays cleaner. So if you use standard cable but use continuous housing you will get similar performance and at way less cost. The last time I ran gore it used a little booty at the rear derailleur that sort of sealed. Still the liner filled with water after one particularly wet and muddy race. Went through a new set of brakepads too that's how wet it was. I won't waste my money on that expensive, $80.00 Canadian for two shift OR brake cables, again. Plus if you use a rolamagig at the rear derailleur you'll eliminate the highest friction point in the whole system. Use one of them and even dirty cables run OK. Plus you can buy Clarks or XTR teflon coated cables for almost the same as regular cables and use standard nylon lined cables (or whatever it is that they line them with) for a mere fraction of the cost. Use solid housing for the rear run and your nearly as weather resistant.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
:monkey:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will save the cash and buy xtr cables. More left over for other things!