Quantcast

Cadaver Parts?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
So as I replied in a thread recently, I have a root canal that's failing and I'm having oral surgery to fix it tomorrow. The surgeon may have to use some "cadaver dust" cement during the procedure. So . . .

Just curious, who has had cadaver parts used during surgery?

toby

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I never had cadaver dust, but I was part of a clinical study where I was injected with human cologen.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
WTF? Why can't they use something synthetic? I had some dental work done recently and it was all fake stuff.

I wouldn't worry about 'dust', the concern is when you get a 'living' part (is a tendon living?) that the body may reject.

I used my own hammy for my ACL, fyi fwiw

apefeet

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
upstate new york
cadaver parts are pretty common. i am a big guy and they tore out my split acl and gave me a equine(horse) ligament. from what i am told is your body used the cadaver as a frame and then builds off it until it dissolves. unless you are in the military or canada where they have approved a kevlar replacement coated in a goretex like laminant

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I use cadavar parts... for other reasons...

mmmm baby back ribs.... made from real babies...

(+rep to whoever can finish the statement properly)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My bro in law has dead man's heel bones. He fell off of a building at a job site and crushed his.

The "dead man walking" jokes are never, ever going to get old.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I wouldn't worry about 'dust', the concern is when you get a 'living' part (is a tendon living?) that the body may reject.
you're not the first to have this concern. some parts are hard for the recipient to accept, like a lung, liver, heart, kidney. some parts aren't, because of low blood supply (bone, tendon, cartilage) or low antigenic content (which means the body doesn't recognize it and doesn't think twice of it).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
almost got some.

when I had surgery to repair my shattered right heel my orthopedic surgeon told me that they typically use cadaver bones to fill in the void. The heel bone is like a bee hive and once crushed, it's hard to repair. But in my case they used some stuff which I can't remember the name. it's a cement like mixture that hardens in seconds. At the time it wasn't even approved by the FDA yet - so I had to sign some release forms. Over time this stuff was supposedly going to be absorbed by the body and replace by bone...I don't think that happened. Still solid as a rock tho.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I had the procedure this afternoon. No "cadaver dust" for me, guys. I got the "bovine dust" instead. Moooo! Perfect for VT!

toby

Just had a cadaver ligament put in my shoulder. (Level 5 separation that blew apart the ligament that goes over your clavicle.) Rejection was one of my big questions for my surgeon - will my body reject it? While he said no one can guaranty you 100% you won't have issues, he was 99% certain I'd have no problems. So far, after three months now, no issues at all.

Apr 30, 2008
my friend had to get a HUGE mole removed from his back because doctors thought it could end up being cancerous. he had to get a skin graft from a cadaver. i thought it would have been funny if he got the skin from a black person so he could have a square inch or so of blackness. (my friend is the pastiest of pasty gingers)