Quantcast

Calabazas pictures

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
So, I had to run an errand in Poopertino today for work, so I stopped by and snapped a few photos with my phone.

What you can't exactly see is how way-too-close-together all of the jumps are. And a camera phone doesn't do the jumps justice. Most of them are pretty big jumps.
Enjoy!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
You and me both... 7" front and rear makes for hard pedaling and difficulty in keeping momentum...

Hence why I like to go down the hill... and ONLY down the hill.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Man that place is going to be so much fun! Cant wait. I just need to get a short travel bike and I would be stoked!
Unfortunately this place won't be much fun! The jumps in fact beautifully made have no flow and are in many place out right dangerous! The jumps that were there before were twice as much fun and safer. Sadly they really missed the boat on this one and a lot of people mostly small kids are going to be getting hurt. I rode it for about 30min and then was kicked out but I was ready to go any way, it just doesn't flow at all. It is so sad that they spent $544,000 on this project, politics! 10 guys would have done this for free and made it twenty times better.

wspanish

Chimp
Jul 9, 2006
As a veteran of Cali, those jumps are a disgrace to the original Calabazas. That line next to the fence, with the black fence in the picture is a joke. Camel used to be in that spot, and it was one of the flowiest lines I've ridden. Its great that they are tring to reopen the park,but the city made a huge mistake having Wormhoudt do it. They should have contracted someone who knows biking, not a skatepark designer who designs parks specifically built to ban BMXers. It is an insult.

Brian B.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2007
The city is going to change some of the jumps and they are using rider input, both mountain bikers and bmxers, so it should get a lot better when they do open it up. It should be open in a couple weeks.

CMAC

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Yay Area, CA
Cali is no bueno. I too went there yesterday, stoked to see what they had done. Well, they have nice drop in dirt platforms that would have been a great addition to the previous Cali. But this place is horrible. They put lyme in the jumps to 'cement' them, so i dont think our shovels will do much good (i cant wait till it rains). THE FLOW IS NON EXISTENT. Imagine dropping in to camel, with the same amount of speed, then hitting a 2 foot high near vertical step up, into a bunch more little double chocolate ********s that are literally less than a MTB bike length apart. Imagine, in the back, with bigger jumps, pedalling full speed into a jump, which the lip is 4 feet tall but is only 3 feet long. **** aint happnin, i guess we gotta rent a bulldozer and do it ourselves.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I used to ride the old calabazas nearly every day a long time ago. I am going to wait until it opens and I get to actually ride it before I start trashing it like most of you guys. Thats just me I guess.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
All they had to do was NOT hire a skatepark builder, and pay a few bikers $10 a day with the use of a bulldozer and some shovers and garden hoses, and this place would have been open 3 months ago.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
It'll come together! If they're aksing for rider input and actually taking advice seriously then it could get better. Early August I'll be moving in up there, hopefully everything is al good by then.