Quantcast

Calif. to Ban Teens From Tanning Booths

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Calif. to Ban Teens From Tanning Booths

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A state famous for tanned bodies and year-round sunshine would be the nation's first to ban teenagers from artificial tanning booths if a bill passed Thursday by the state Assembly becomes law.

Lawmakers, citing a rise in skin cancer cases in California and across the nation, voted 42-26 to add artificial tanning to teenage no no's that already include smoking, drinking and buying lottery tickets.

Teens often visit tanning salons before proms, vacations and weddings, say owners of an industry that claims 160,000 employees nationally and $5 billion in annual revenue. California is estimated to have 1,500 tanning salons.

Backers of the bill, including the California Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, blame tanning salons for part of 1 million new cases of skin cancer diagnosed every year in the United States. The group cited 7,400 deaths annually from melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

"There is a big difference between going to the beach and a tanning salon," said the bill's author, Assemblyman Joe Nation, a Democrat. "When kids go to the beach they put on sun screen."

The bill passed despite opposition from tanning salons and Republican lawmakers opposed to "meddling" in personal choices.

"If this bill passes it proves there's no part of somebody's life this Legislature won't stick its nose into," said GOP Assemblyman Ray Haynes.

Heidi Blank, manager of San Diego's Hollywood Tans, said she thought the bill could "hurt my business somewhat. But what are you going to do? There's people bigger than me making those decisions."

She said teenagers account for about 5 percent of her store's clients.

The bill, which now goes to the Senate for consideration, requires teenagers to have a doctor or surgeon's prescription before being allowed to tan indoors.

Along with 26 other states, California already requires permission from parents or a legal guardian for teens 15-18 to use artificial tanning salons. Children 14 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

---

On the Net:
Read AB2193 at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I agree with the teens not tanning, but do not agree with the government being the ones to tell them.

Their parents, or the KIDS THEMSELVES should be able to figure out its bad. Yet again, another place the American government is trying to take control when they have no place.

:rolleyes:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by BigMike
ITheir parents, or the KIDS THEMSELVES should be able to figure out its bad. Yet again, another place the American government is trying to take control when they have no place.
In a perfect society (or at least not in the OC), parents would take an active part in their childrens' lives and do what's right and healthy for them. Yeah, that'll happen soon. These are the same parents who rather "force-feed" their children large super size meals than spend ~30 minutes cooking a healthy (or at least not non-healthy) dinner. I for one am glad the government is at least taking notice to the health issues (albeit the words "tanning salons" don't strike fear into our hearts) facing us. Whatever.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by N8
"There is a big difference between going to the beach and a tanning salon," said the bill's author, Assemblyman Joe Nation, a Democrat. "When kids go to the beach they put on sun screen."
Politicians should not be so uninformed when making such decisions. There's little evidence that sunscreens prevent cancer. They prevent sunburn, which allows people to stay out in the sun longer than they should, exposing themselves to more harmful EM radiation. At least in a tanning booth the exposure is controlled and limited to a certain length of time.

http://vvv.com/healthnews/sunscreens.html

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i like when girls have tan lines.

what the hell are 14yr olds doing going to tanning booths? spoiled brats.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Not completely that bad, but there still are a sh1tload of f*ed up people here--too much money and not enough brains/common sense. I used to drive a Geo Metro in high school (I loved it, the thing cost like $7 to fill up 7 years ago and ran for 2 weeks) and A LOT of people made fun of it because it wasn't new, cool, a bmw, or fast. "Screw you chicken f*ers."

Random question for you Texans: I've been told you have a saying for when somebody keeps interrupting you. I think it goes something like, "If you're gonna keep on interrupting me, can you hold the legs of a cat..." Does this sound familiar? I can't seem to remember it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ha. i drove a 2-tone brown '88 Dodge Dakota single-cab, long bed that had white walls and no a/c.

i can honestly say i have never heard that saying, or anything similar. usually i hear/say "will you keep your god damn mouth shut for a second?" if i'm somewhere where cussing is bad, i talk like Hank Hill.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

The bill passed despite opposition from tanning salons and Republican lawmakers opposed to "meddling" in personal choices.

"If this bill passes it proves there's no part of somebody's life this Legislature won't stick its nose into," said GOP Assemblyman Ray Haynes.

Hummm......

:monkey:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
"If this bill passes it proves there's no part of somebody's life this Legislature won't stick its nose into," said Libertarian Assemblyman Ray Haynes.
Ah, now I feel better about agreeing with him.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
god i hate california..... politians should not make health desicions for others, skin cancer, please. some one tell them to go back and worry about power outages..

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ya'll are thinking about this the wrong way...... What this really means is that there will be more teenage girls out tanning at the beaches, parks and public spaces not locked up in some tanning booth.

Did I just post that?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by DRB
Ya'll are thinking about this the wrong way...... What this really means is that there will be more teenage girls out tanning at the beaches, parks and public spaces not locked up in some tanning booth.

Did I just post that?
That doesnt help me, I dont live in Cali!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by DRB

Did I just post that?

did ya know in all NY state parks females can tan topless?

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by BigMike
I agree with the teens not tanning, but do not agree with the government being the ones to tell them.

Their parents, or the KIDS THEMSELVES should be able to figure out its bad. Yet again, another place the American government is trying to take control when they have no place.

:rolleyes:
Hello? This is the Californian government.