Quantcast

california dreamin'

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
since i was getting a free trip to SF via work, i decided to extend my stay once the conference was over and hit up some riding spots. i crashed w/ my buddy Mike (aka Tundar), and we again made the drive out east to tahoe like we did 4 years ago when we rode w/ Acadian, BrianHCM and Kidwoo. Luc's back would take him out of service for this instance, but OGripper and his buddy John were excellent riding partners (and excellent riders).

though i stashed my P&S in my camelbak, the trails @ northstar are really too much fun to do much stopping and shooting, so there's scant evidence of the fun we had that day...you'll have to see our wrinkled faces to notice the skin-stretching grins we had that day. post-ride beers (or G&Ts in matt and john's case) were even more fun...great day of riding, hanging out, and just plain fun.

my buddy mike on lower gypsy:

matt (aka OGRipper) on the slabs:

kidwoo coming out of a whip on the doubles leading into boondocks (sorry i was late on the trigger here):

me hitting the rock drop on boondocks:

matt, getting bigger air and more style points:

kidwoo, in the only mode he knows (fast)

me down the alternate line on lower boondocks:

a tired Tundar and me, after a great day of riding (big thanks to kidwoo for securing the last two DH rentals while we fumbled w/ the electronic release forms):

the drive back to the bay area went faster in the Z4 convertible:

goodbye, tahoe:

three hours later, we were back in the city

the next day, mike arranged for me to use a friend's wife's bike for an xc ride up in Santa Cruz. we needed some carbs to start the day

we were on our way

trailmap @ the start:

let's go, beeyotch

off we went:

hippies live in SC, and they have access to krylon

the root (aka mastodon tusk) which stopped me cold, and gave a rather large upper arm bruise:

me in the distance (this was a pretty steep and loose descent)

wish i had a wider lens:

riding through a large redwood forest is pretty damn awesome

the borrowed steed (flat pedals didn't help much on the climbs)

we headed home after a celebratory dogfish imperial IPA, cleaned up, and drove into the city where we hit Zeitgeist for a couple of beers. this sticker (which i should really slap on my neighbor's car) was on a nearby parked car:

crappy pic of old german dude conversing w/ SF hipster doofus; this place rocked...smoker going full tilt, open air outside where people can shoot the sh!t, smoke weed, and drink good beer:

obligatory SF rainbow

from there we hit a Thai place for some good food, then walked the 1.5 blocks to my favorite bar in the world, where we again met up w/ Matt and John, and John's lady friend. beers were drunk, music played, laughs were had, and shots were poured.

big thanks to my bud Mike for carting my ass around, and to Matt for buying my beers and booze. also to kidwoo for riding around w/ a couple of slowpokes and patiently waiting at trail intersections, and generally being a funny bastard. i had a fabulous time. i hope to repay it out east at some point.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good stuff! I found the loose Northstar terrain to be very challenging the one time I rode there...not used to that stuff on the east coast.

What was the conference? (nerd question, I know, but I'm curious)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the conference was co-hosted by amgen and genentech, and was held @ genentech's south san fran location. it was mainly just industry people and focused on equipment cleaning. it was actually quite good, if you can believe it. i also got to catch up w/ a couple i used to work with; they took jobs @ genentech last summer, and i went out to dinner (awesome soul food place in san mateo) on thurs night.

the newer trails @ northstar are nice, esp gypsy. the older stuff was still pretty damn challenging, esp the trail from slabs (pic of OGRipper, as usual much harder than it looks) down to i think lower karpiel? i was psyched i cleaned it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, sorry i was stuffing my face w/ caesar chicken salad and blue gatorade for that duration.

definitely gotta get back at some point. i'd like another go @ the xc trails too; they were fun.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tim, super fun to meet and hang out with you and mike. Major props for getting after some of that stuff at Northstar the way you did, very impressive, especially on a rented ride and with limited familiarity. Hopefully we can get together again sometime.

Gotta love the Underberg!!