Quantcast

California to ban the most bad ass gun ever.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Silver said:
We could hold up a liquor store. I'll hide the gun in my coat.
No need; we'll just do it from 1200m.

(Speaking of thinking too much, long-range shooting is a great Zen experience...)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, it's a robbery; we don't want to have to run *too* far to grab the money after we shoot the clerk...plus, nothing wrong with being as close as practical when it counts! Give yourself some leeway for capricious winds and intermittently moving targets...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
If you think the .50cal is over kill.....try 20mm.....look up the new and improved Barrett XM-109. Personally i've like the exercise my 2nd rights and get the 30mm GAU-8/A off an a-10 but it kinda hard to carry around.

FYI to the you can't use .50 as an antipersonal...we can and do all the time use the 30mm on a-10s as antiperonal weapons in Afganastan

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zutroy said:
FYI to the you can't use .50 as an antipersonal...we can and do all the time use the 30mm on a-10s as antiperonal weapons in Afganastan
Heh, we cover the Geneva Convention every time a gun thread comes up. You're a few pages behind...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
MikeD said:
Well, it's a robbery; we don't want to have to run *too* far to grab the money after we shoot the clerk...plus, nothing wrong with being as close as practical when it counts! Give yourself some leeway for capricious winds and intermittently moving targets...
True, plus at 1200 you could put it through the window, the "bullet proof" glass is they had it, the register, outta them and into the wall behind them.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
clancy98 said:
my unfocused tirade also referenced the comment about the UK, which you didn't make, and I figured that you were smart enough to make that connection.

But I'm SO sorry I hurt your feelings mr tough guy, and to tell you the truth, i dont care how many guns you have. You're obviously on the pro-gun side and you are still trying to find something to argue with me about. You can only shoot one (or two cowboy style) at a time. And I know plenty of people with plenty of guns, that couldn't hit my big ass if their life depended on it.

If thats not you, congratulations on being a responsible gun owner. And THANK YOU for being an NRA member.

But drop the debate about the post replies, because its kind of distracting.
I be a dullard so no cunexshuns can I make! My feelins' be pained, tho. I go to cry my l'il tough guy eyes out now so I not destrakt you. Buh bye!

:help:

Jan 13, 2005
I loved the respeonse from the owner of Barrett Firearms:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/news.htm

click on the "Bite the Hand that Arms You".

it's weird how California is in another fiscal catastrophe in motion, yet all the liberals are getting worked up on banning firearms. Why don't they stick to what they do the best, like lobby for education or something? oh wait, the politicians are too busy getting "we banned the .50 cal rifle" on their carreer description to care about the state's children. the result? The University of California system has raised its fee 30 percent in the last 3 years, and folks like me have to pay for the price. Of course, that just doesn't make headlines any more, but heck, banning a rifle, woo-hoo!!!

Sigh.....

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
springfield1911 said:
I loved the respeonse from the owner of Barrett Firearms:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/news.htm

click on the "Bite the Hand that Arms You".

it's weird how California is in another fiscal catastrophe in motion, yet all the liberals are getting worked up on banning firearms. Why don't they stick to what they do the best, like lobby for education or something? oh wait, the politicians are too busy getting "we banned the .50 cal rifle" on their carreer description to care about the state's children. the result? The University of California system has raised its fee 30 percent in the last 3 years, and folks like me have to pay for the price. Of course, that just doesn't make headlines any more, but heck, banning a rifle, woo-hoo!!!

Sigh.....
I don't think there is anything wrong with debating something that deals with public safety. Having shot that exact weapon, i can tell you there is NO reason for a private citzen to own one. The only purpose it has is to destroy things and kill people. No one would argue that people shouldn't be allowed to own a 105-Howitzer, so why should this be different? The arguement Barret makes is fulla crap it's not even funny. If he claims that private citzens can't own one, then why would it matter if they ban them? Sounds like someone is more worried about sales.

If your going to use an example of headlines pick one that wasen't debated...that was all over the news when they annouced the hike.

Also before some accusses me of being being a liberal freak, I am a gun owner, i just have common sense.

Jan 13, 2005
Zutroy said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with debating something that deals with public safety. Having shot that exact weapon, i can tell you there is NO reason for a private citzen to own one. The only purpose it has is to destroy things and kill people. No one would argue that people shouldn't be allowed to own a 105-Howitzer, so why should this be different? The arguement Barret makes is fulla crap it's not even funny. If he claims that private citzens can't own one, then why would it matter if they ban them? Sounds like someone is more worried about sales.

If your going to use an example of headlines pick one that wasen't debated...that was all over the news when they annouced the hike.

Also before some accusses me of being being a liberal freak, I am a gun owner, i just have common sense.

if some of us decide that it is not for them because it is too much, that's fine. But limiting others' rights to own it is a whole other story. You are technically allowed to own a moster truck, whose whole purpose is to crush cars and waste fuel(which is awsome, IMHO), but i don't see people use the Goldberg illegally on the streets and run over cars...

The .50 cal rifles are designed for the owner who feels that need to purchase one, be it long range shooting, as a collector's item, or as a show off piece. That is up to the individual owner's discretion and their judgement. Limiting the sales to civilians would not prevent the terrorists to get one(yeah, would they really want one when you can get light cannons from the former Soviet republics very easily?)

As for the public school fee hikes, it made the news, but nothing was done to save it, not even the state legislators. the education professionals even hailed the Governator's budget ssince it didn't cut any more from the future University funding provided that the fee would make up the difference. at the end, the public gets the short end of the stick. But who cares, as long as we get the massive number of .50 cal rifles, which kills so many innocent children and shooting so many helicopters every year, off the streets, right?

The way I see it, by cutting education, the state is killing kids much more effectvie than and small arms ever could. But then again, I suppose for the liberal freaks, banning guns look better on the 10 o'clock news than pledging another 10 million dollars so the teachers in public high schools in small towns can avoid paying for school supplies out of their ow npockets, right?

interestingly, in 2004, in the the United States, less kids died from the 50 cal rifles than high school football practices(perhaps 0 deaths from the rifles). Should the politicians start looking to ban football? No way in hell, since it will offend the parents much more to see sports go than the "evil looking high powered rifles that can shoot down helicopter and low flying aircrafts". but then again, the voting power of the sympathetic soccer moms can add up, especially since they totally can distinguish between a rifle in .470 Nitro Express and a Gamo air rifle, since they both have the mean looking scopes and the black barrels.... :angry:

Wow that was a rant. but what I'm trying to say is, just because you don't think you would ever use something does not mean others cannot enjoy it. you can make that sort of decisions if you are the emperor of Rome, but this is America, and we all made a choice some point in history to settle here, so don't make it your personal domain, shall we?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just a tip...if you don't want to look like a gun nut up front, don't register a gun name as your user name.

It's not that your post was bad, but it's just distracting. Kind of like a guy with the name TedK defending his right to make bombs in his workshop...

Jan 13, 2005
Silver said:
Just a tip...if you don't want to look like a gun nut up front, don't register a gun name as your user name.

It's not that your post was bad, but it's just distracting. Kind of like a guy with the name TedK defending his right to make bombs in his workshop...

Just for your information, I'm not as much of a gun nut as you may think. I just happen to be an avid fan of the Springfield 1911A1 pistol. I value its machnical ingenuity, the overwelming presence of safety features that are designed to avoid unnecessary deaths, and its rich history.

I would never buy a .50 cal rifle, since I have no desire and ability to own something like that just for infrequent usage that is not very cost effective. But I will not trample on other peoples' rights to own it if they are so inclined. Your assumption was utterly mistaken. Just because someone's handle is the name of a famous small arm does not mean he/she is automatically an moron that will say yes to everything out there. i for one do not like automatic weapons, since i value marksmanship over the cycling rate of a firearm.

I don't care if you want to label me, it's a passion of mine and i'm proud of it. And just a tip, if you don't want to appear as unoriginal, don't use other people's names as a basis for your assumptions. We can all make predictions about each other based on their names. And we all have been able to do that since pre-school. ususally when people make fun of my name, I know he/she is out of conversation material. But thanks for your opinion, anyway.

Respectafully Yours,

Springfield1911

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
springfield1911 said:
<snip> I don't care if you want to label me, it's a passion of mine and i'm proud of it. And just a tip, if you don't want to appear as unoriginal, don't use other people's names as a basis for your assumptions.
Respectafully Yours,

Springfield1911
Right on dude! :thumb:

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
I should change my name to Kimber45Glock23Remington870SKS :D

They ARE fun, but they don't define who I am (even though the gun-grabbers out there would happily do so...)

I have no need for a .50cal sniper rifle, although it WOULD be really fun to rent. I met a Japanese guy at the range a couple years ago who was shooting a 20mm gun. I don't remember what exactly it was, but it had a recoiling barrel and shells that were about 8 inches long. No, he was not firing it from the hip :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
genpowell71 said:
Everyone needs a Barret .50 cal sniper rifle. Thats a great weapon to defend you home from invaders. You can hit them from 4 blocks away as they approach
naaahh!, if you believe you need protection that bad.. you dont need a .50... you need a good strong anti-psychotic like zyprexa to cut off the persecution paranoia...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Anyone catch West Wing last night? They close the show with the President calling for an ambitious final year in office where they will finally be able to "do REAL good for American society". Health Care...Torte Reform...New Latin Americas Policy...ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN... :mad:

I mean how fuggin' lame. It's a liberalish administration on a liberalish show worked on and written for by liberalish Hollywood pukes, so I shouldn't be surprised...but don't they have the common sense to realize and admit that the so-called "Assault Weapons" Ban was proven to be an utter and complete failure, was repealed like Prohibition...and STILL those schwantzes can't let go of it! :mumble:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ohio said:
California is trying to ban the Airzooka?

(edit: I suck at HTML)
Huh? That link worked just fine...if you were trying to link to the image, you probably just let spaces between the URL and the tag, in which case [url] tags are automatically inserted.

Anyhow, "harmless" ball of air my foot. You're crazy if you think that thing should be legal. The site even endorses using it in SCHOOLS for god's sake!