Quantcast

California to ban the most bad ass gun ever.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You need that gun to........I dunno have fun? :)

Last time I was at the gun range some crazy fool pulled something similar to that out, and when he'd shoot it everyone stopped to take notes and watch. I dunno what the range was on that but it had to be a mile + in distance. It's like a anti-car/aircraft gun. It was nuts to watch him shoot it though.

I love guns. They have to be one of the more fun things I've gotten to do in my life. There's such a taboo about them (shooting them, owning them etc...) but once you shoot one you see why people want them. They're just fun.

As far as terroists go, I don't think USA has to worry about that gun. We have so many groups in the USA that would sacrifice their lives to take out others. American, white, black, mexican, middle eastern etc....it doesn't matter. It's just like the whole guns kill people thing.......people kill people, guns just help them do it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
I don't think so; this thread is just too much of a downer.
Well, now I've got the sinking feeling it's not going to get any lighter.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
syadasti said:
<snip>The Constitution is a living document meant to change with the times. We no longer need a private militia to protect our freedom, we have the military for that now.
Ummm... I hate to break it to you, but the writers of the Constitution didn't have a citizen militia in mind to defend against *foreign* invaders... :rolleyes:

High power guns aren't needed for target practice and cost more money to own and operate - nobody needs them for any good reason...
Neither are Hummers, as someone else pointed out. Just because *you* don't find target shooting with an extremely high powered rifle challenging and enjoyable does not (IMHO) allow you the privilege of telling those who do find it enjoyable that they can't do it. Does it?

-S.S.-

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
SkaredShtles said:
Ummm... I hate to break it to you, but the writers of the Constitution didn't have a citizen militia in mind to defend against *foreign* invaders... :rolleyes:

Neither are Hummers, as someone else pointed out. Just because *you* don't find target shooting with an extremely high powered rifle challenging and enjoyable does not (IMHO) allow you the privilege of telling those who do find it enjoyable that they can't do it. Does it?

-S.S.-

Just because *you* don't find target shooting with an extremely high powered "WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION" challenging and enjoyable does not (IMHO) allow you the privilege of telling those who do find it enjoyable that they can't do it. Does it?

really??? why is everybody pissed iran or iraq could have some???
smells like double standard....

what if you feel the access of said "high powered rifle" is a threat to those around????
is invasion of their house allowed in a preemptive strike??
or better just makign said guns illegal??

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Silver said:
Let this ****ing mother****er of a monkey****ing thread die, for ****'s sake.

you know what i noticed.. that english only got **** as a universal curse word... i mean.. what do i use if i want to be more specific?? mother****er, ****ing, ****.. man! they are all the same ****!!!!!..

we need more variety in the curse words field....

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
genpowell71 said:
HEY!!! I see someone coming to break into my house and he's about 10 blocks away. Let me get my .50 cal sniper rifle and get him before he gets to my house. I dont even know if he's an actual thief, but why take chances???
10 blocks? That's weak, man. You ought to be able to do that with a .308, right?

Besides, won't the .50 go through the guy and a couple houses behind him?

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I worry about people that use any kind of rifle for "home defense" (especially one that uses a BMG round). A rifle round can pass through a wall, window, person or whatever and remain lethal- meaning if it doesn't stop when you hit the guy breaking into your house, it might find its way into the next room where your kids sleep. I never understood why people would get bent out of shape over a law that made automatic rifles illegal without a special license because, while I am against gun control, I am also against morons using a Colt M4 as their own private antitheft system. A 12 ga shotgun is smarter and safer to use, but then it's not something that has the "cool" factor of a high powered rifle. As much as I dislike gun control and all of that, I find it even more troubling that certain types of people seem to have such a thirst for violent tools that have no practical purpose for them. The question that this thought brings up is the original debate in this post- is it the responsibility of the government and law enforcement to manage people's love of violence by restricting access to certain weapons?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
HarryCallahan said:
10 blocks? That's weak, man. You ought to be able to do that with a .308, right?

Besides, won't the .50 go through the guy and a couple houses behind him?
Technically, would it not be going through him, since there would be nothing left of him?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Someone needs to use the amazing stopping power of the Barrett to shoot this zombie thread down.

And to stop me with a merciful head shot before I get on the "you need a dictionary more than you need a gun" kick with JBVyaddayaddayadda.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mack said:
edit: Give me a valid reason to ban this gun and why it would make sense please. And its in our constitution.
um, please read yoru constitution again.

You have a right to bear arms..AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT. This was the only way to get all the colonies to join the union. It gavce them the right to rise up and seperate should they not like what was going on.

So if you want CT to rise up and leave the union, then by all means you have the right to own a weapon. Otherwise shut your yap and learn a little history. Take all those NRA freaks with you, they may learn something.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MikeD said:
Someone needs to use the amazing stopping power of the Barrett to shoot this zombie thread down.

And to stop me with a merciful head shot before I get on the "you need a dictionary more than you need a gun" kick with JBVyaddayaddayadda.
Oh C'mon Mike, everyoen needs an anti-materiel weapon! We all have engine blocks to crack.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Great gun....however, i can see where they're coming from with the ban. having serviced and fired a .50ca berrett i can honestly say that it is an amazing gun (even if it does cost about $1.50 per round :eek:).

i believe that good 'ole CA is worried about the fact that the .50 Cal is the only rifle capable of firing an armor peircing round. i know i'd be a little nervous in a civil unrest situation knowing that joe schmoe is out there with a round that will come right through the wall of my armored personnell carrier.

but you're right...banning it won't stop anyone from getting one that really wants it. just like the old assault rifles ban, it only kept them out of the hands of the responsible people, the bad guys still had them.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
manimal said:
Great gun....however, i can see where they're coming from with the ban. having serviced and fired a .50ca berrett i can honestly say that it is an amazing gun (even if it does cost about $1.50 per round :eek:).

i believe that good 'ole CA is worried about the fact that the .50 Cal is the only rifle capable of firing an armor peircing round. i know i'd be a little nervous in a civil unrest situation knowing that joe schmoe is out there with a round that will come right through the wall of my armored personnell carrier.

but you're right...banning it won't stop anyone from getting one that really wants it. just like the old assault rifles ban, it only kept them out of the hands of the responsible people, the bad guys still had them.

that reasoning of "the bad guys will still have them no matter what".. is sort of the "perfect solution" fallacy... :nope:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ALEXIS_DH said:
that reasoning of "the bad guys will still have them no matter what".. is sort of the "perfect solution" fallacy... :nope:

sorry, i guess i shouldn't use first-hand experience whilst debating in the political forum :rolleyes:
i'll just get back to blind speculation...all this field experience/research is for the birds.

The only "perfect solution" that takes human nature into account is weapons handling and Close Quarters Battle training for the general public. It helps to eliminate victims....but that theory is as far fetched at utopia.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
manimal said:
sorry, i guess i shouldn't use first-hand experience whilst debating in the political forum :rolleyes:
i'll just get back to blind speculation...all this field experience/research is for the birds.

The only "perfect solution" that takes human nature into account is weapons handling and Close Quarters Battle training for the general public. It helps to eliminate victims....but that theory is as far fetched at utopia.
i dont think you got the point.

the perfect solution fallacy states that a meassure is useless just because it isnt perfect or that a solution should be rejected because some part of the problem would still exist after it was implemented.

example: (which is almost identical to your reasoning)
These anti-drunk driving ad campaigns are not going to work. People are still going to drink and drive no matter what.
[k]It may not eliminate 100% of drunk driving, but is the amount by which it would reduce the total amount of drunk driving enough to make the policy worthwhile? [/k]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_solution_fallacy

and you are assuming banning high powered guns is useless because "bad guys will still use them".. which is kinda like you are expecting only a perfect solution to be enforced....
and not thinking about the slower growth of the market for big guns (given the reduced offer and availability) than otherwise.. which would probably be enough to make the policy worthwhile....
get it now??