Quantcast

Call for Original Ideas from N8

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
Dear N8,

I have enjoyed reading your opinions, particularily about Katrina, as they greatly differ from mine. However, I have noticed a tendency to bombard this forum with the opinions of others, many of which are either irrelevant (like the Op-Ed from the Ottawa Citizen) or of very dubious veracity (like the account from the MacComb resident).

Since you are I are apparently the only two posters who either live or has lived in Louisiana, I would like to continue to read your perspective on Louisiana affairs. However, I find it tedious reading non-original postings, particularily if you have no comment to add.

So I am calling you out on this matter. Write something I might not know or have thought about. It would be greatly appreciated.
 

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
5,672
0
Feeling the lag
I sometimes wonder who's kidding who. After all on so many issues our experience is limited and we take on board pre-spun 'facts' and others' views. At least N8 makes no pretence at having a mind of his own...
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,914
14
Hypernormality
I like to think the difference is that most of us have, and use the faculty of critical examination and cross referrence, something deliberatly avoided and activley discouraged by the current administation and many of it's supporters. The neocon agenda rests upon the myth of 1 and 0, good and evil. As with nearly everything viewed in such childish terms, when applied to the real world, it pretty quickly turns to sh1t.
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,914
14
Hypernormality
The Middle Mind: Why Americans Don't Think for Themselves
by Curtis White

An unflinching and wry look at the dumbing down of the American imagination.

In this groundbreaking and incisive exploration, acclaimed social critic Curtis White describes an all-encompassing and little-noticed force taking over our culture and our lives. White calls this force the Middle Mind — the current failure of the American imagination in the media, politics, education, art, technology, and religion.

The Middle Mind is pragmatic, plainspoken, populist, contemptuous of the right's narrowness, and incredulous before the left's convolutions. It wants to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and has bought an SUV with the intent of visiting it. It even understands in some indistinct way how that very SUV spells the Arctic's doom.

The Middle Mind is not about left or right, highbrow or lowbrow, academia or pop culture; in fact, it pervades society without discrimination. The danger is not in a specific point of view, but rather in how the Middle Mind thrives in the common ground of unquestioned mediocrity. All we seem to ask about the culture we experience is whether it's entertaining.

White argues that we have forgotten how to read, to watch, to think for ourselves. Because it is neutral, widespread, and easily digestible, the Middle Mind has lulled the American imagination to sleep. As we sit comfortably amused and distracted, just outside the door there is an immediate crisis of a nation blindly following the path of least resistance. Irreverent, provocative, and far-reaching, White presents a clear vision of this dangerous mindset that threatens America's intellectual and cultural freedoms, concluding with an imperative to reawaken and unleash the once powerful American imagination.
12345
 
E

enkidu

Guest
Changleen said:
I like to think the difference is that most of us have, and use the faculty of critical examination and cross referrence, something deliberatly avoided and activley discouraged by the current administation and many of it's supporters. The neocon agenda rests upon the myth of 1 and 0, good and evil. As with nearly everything viewed in such childish terms, when applied to the real world, it pretty quickly turns to sh1t.
Do you assume that the current leadership in the Democratic Party and many of its supporters are free from neocon agenda and have the intellectual integrity to use the faculty of critical examination and cross reference?
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
fluff said:
I sometimes wonder who's kidding who. After all on so many issues our experience is limited and we take on board pre-spun 'facts' and others' views. At least N8 makes no pretence at having a mind of his own...
Most people are at least decent in catching the flaws. It does take some careful reading, but it is a worthy exercise.
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,914
14
Hypernormality
enkidu said:
Do you assume that the current leadership in the Democratic Party and many of its supporters are free from neocon agenda and have the intellectual integrity to use the faculty of critical examination and cross reference?
I think most of the Democratic leadership certainly do not subscribe to the neocon agenda, but as for intellectual integrity and critical examination, I'd be less willing to ascribe those values to the entire party. I certainly think you'd have a better shot with the Dems though.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
He's replied but still no original ideas.
I still believe that one day N8 will have an epiphany and then run out and join the green party. So there's still hope... even for N8.