Quantcast

Call me Skookum

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So my chimney has/(had?) a small leak. Whenever it would rain, it would drip very slowly onto the top of the fireplace, (in the wall). At first I thought it was dripping onto the damper, but nay....

So onto the roof I go. The top of the chimney is about 2' x 4' with a 12" galvanized (I assume) pipe in the middle. ie the top of the chimney is flat, clad with aluminium. And lots of old caulking. I pushed down on it and saw that water had gotten past the caulking, and was squeezing back out.

So I pulled off the flashing around the perimeter of the chimney and let it dry out for about 5 days. There was some pretty squishy plywood in there! Fortunately it's been like 85 deg and sunny this past week! It dried out nicely...wood's still soft in places, but at least it's dry.

Armed with several tubes of new caulking, some roofing nails, and a little dish of water to moisten my smearing finger, I reinstalled the flashing and caulked the holy hell out of everything.

Now I wait to see next time it rains. Hopefully I fixed it....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think more people associate Skookum with ride pics threads than prancing about on rooftops... it's the sort of trivia (like your wife's narrow head :D) that is lost on the unwashed masses

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Does your caulk have a thick white discharge?
Funnily enough it does.... wait a second... I think this thread is turning ugly.

Looks like I did my caulk job (hee hee hee hee) just in time. It's pissing rain like crazy today. According to my wife the chimney isn't dripping...

We only plan to be in this house for 5 years. it should hold...

J

JRB

A cab.

*I am not going to keep this little game going though. It seems a little non-productive.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
yep...very pleased with myself.... I cured the leak for sure. and the wood hadn't yet begun to rot. I believe there's a fine line between "rotten" and "waterlogged". It hadn't crossed that line yet.... for my purposed anyway. It not worth tearing apart the whole top of the chimney.