Quantcast

Calling all demo 8, 9, and shockwave owners.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, so basically it's time for a new downhill bike. I was riding up at diablo, and I tried my friends specialized demo 9. I currently ride a yeti asx, it's a great bike for jumping, and a lot more, but when it gets rough on trails like ripper at diablo, or the U.S. open rock garden it gets rough.

Newer demo 8-A little to race-like from what I have heard. I like to freeride just as much as racing, and throw in that occasional manual, jump something unecessary, or try to throw a new trick.

Older demo 8-Quick release(negative), but I hear it is much more flickable, and people say that 1 inch does make the difference.

Demo 9-Plow machine... From when I rode it, it corners very well, it has good stability when your really truckin through a rough area. Seemed harder to jump than my yeti, and harder to whip out. And obviously, with any demo, my yeti probably pedals better.

The older demo 8, and the demo 9 have pretty close geometry, but people say that inch less, and the geometry actually does make a substantial difference, and that's exactly the problem I'm running into.

Side note: I was also looking into mountain cycle, my lbs can get them in, so I would like to support them, anyone have any ride time on them?

Thanks for all your help guys, sorry to write a book.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, yea sort of. I like to freeride I said too. Sure, I'm only 130, but I'm still growing, and I intend to keep this next frame for a while. I want something forgiving too when it gets a little rough and you screw up. And that's what a demo is. I'm guessing a shockwave is too, with it's more kind of "moto linkage". Sunday is out of the question for me. Call me a girl, but they are way too mainstream.

I don't know how an m3 would work. But I know a socom is fro, so it's not a freeride bike. I guess I can't count intense out, but I know the m6 is a racing machine too. An m3 would be an option, but I have no idea of how they ride.

Any more suggestions and opinions? Please give me something, especially if you ride a demo, I know there's a lot of you out there.

Pedaling isn't a huge priority on my list. I'm not a super competitive racer. And I know almost all downhill dedicated bikes pedal like crap and suspension is just one compromise after another.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Never ridden a Demo, but I own a Shockwave. Definitely a good bike to consider if you want something a bit more unique. You might see me up at Diablo some (though less this summer than previous ones)- all black Shockwave with a white 66sl. Handles stuff up there well. The stock bike is good, even if the geo does look slightly goofy on paper. Also, the geo can be altered with a shorter shock or (whenever they make them) the new links for the frame. The bike rides well, has some nice details (integrated fork stop, nice cable guides, qr or 12mm dropouts...). Only problem I've had is one snapped pivot bolt about 3 weeks ago at Diablo. Called MC (second time I've called them for small parts) and got great service. Seems like a solid company. If you ever see me up there, you can take it for a spin. Also, I'm sure someone like Jim Dellavale would let you test it out a bit.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have a demo 7 (same thing as the new demo 8, just 1.5 headtube, front d guides, and a plastic spacer that has been removed from the shock shaft. the bike rips on everything. i came off two plow full on racebikes (dh9's and an r9) and can say that the demo 7/8 is very nimble and can be tossed around easily, but can still maintain in the rough at high speeds. it is a full on race bike, super low, slack, and light. it jumps pretty amazingly, pedals well for a 7.6in travel bike, and corners like a mad man if you get over the front end. the bike begs for you too bomb shoots and ride the steeps and then nail big bermed turns. i love mine and dont think ill be getting rid of it anytime soon

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Never ridden a Demo, but I own a Shockwave. Definitely a good bike to consider if you want something a bit more unique. You might see me up at Diablo some (though less this summer than previous ones)- all black Shockwave with a white 66sl. Handles stuff up there well. The stock bike is good, even if the geo does look slightly goofy on paper. Also, the geo can be altered with a shorter shock or (whenever they make them) the new links for the frame. The bike rides well, has some nice details (integrated fork stop, nice cable guides, qr or 12mm dropouts...). Only problem I've had is one snapped pivot bolt about 3 weeks ago at Diablo. Called MC (second time I've called them for small parts) and got great service. Seems like a solid company. If you ever see me up there, you can take it for a spin. Also, I'm sure someone like Jim Dellavale would let you test it out a bit.

Yea, I've met Jim before, I didn't ask to ride his bike before though. Ok, yea, I'm sure I'll be up there before I get a new frame at least once more, or I hope I will be. Thanks a lot for the offer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
An M6 is exactly the kind of bike you're not looking for. That's just a bad recommendation.

I had an older generation Demo 8 for 2 seasons and I think it's very close to ideal for you. The short stays make manuals, jumping, and pulling the front end up easy and the long front-center keeps everything roomy and stable. Great geo for half freeride and half downhill - that's almost exactly what I did with it. The only issue I had was weight - even with a really light build it wasn't under 40. The new ones are about a pound lighter though, although the slacker and lower geo might be weird coming off the AS-X. As far as the old Demos, the 8 rides MUCH better than the 9 IMO and the 9 is just way way too heavy for 99% of the riding it probably sees. My friend has one and it's no wear near as nice feeling as my 8 was.

I rode my friend's AS-X extensively and it felt plain horrible to me. Too tall, too overbuilt for what it is, and crappy feeling suspension with a ton of pedal feedback. The Demo would be a much better bike IMO.

Maybe look at an SX-Trail or a new Bullit for something more nimble? Sounds like pedaling isn't that important though. Otherwise, possibly a Morewood? Adjustable geometry, really simple and light, and GREAT customer service.

i just a shockwave, sooo nice. been riding it up in whistler for a week. Like the Demo's it plows through anything and everything. but unlike the demo, it corners WAY better, so easy to handle on eventhe most technical trails.

i would also add that i have a floating brake, which drastically inproves the ride

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I don't think the morewood or ec-d is quite what the demo is. I don't have time right now, but I will write up an analysis on the frames and geo numbers later tonight.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Newer demo 8-A little to race-like from what I have heard. I like to freeride just as much as racing, and throw in that occasional manual, jump something unecessary, or try to throw a new trick.

What you describe sounds like "bike riding." To be honest, the new demo 8s are more similar to the old 9s. Long and plush. They changed the shock rate so they do ride pretty differently than the first gen demo 8s. The old 8s had a better wheelbase measurement per size in my opinion.

Older demo 8-Quick release(negative),
Other than the 9s, all demos had/have vertical dropouts. Don't like a quick release? Get a bolt on hub.

As far as the spec line goes, I'd say a demo 7 sounds like more what your after. The angles are more similar to the first gen 8s, and it's every bit a good fast dh bike as the more dh race frames out there from other companies. I've got an 07 demo 7 and just sold a 2007 demo 8 frame. I've ridden both for a year and to be honest, I like the 7 better.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
The '06 Demo 8 is the best Demo so far IMO....quick handling and tough, it'll take a Freeride beating and be race ready.

It may be hard to find a used one in good shape....but I sold mine in cherry condition....bolt on rear is the only way to go, I never had a problem.

J

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe one of the canfields? Either the 7-8'' FR model or Jedi. From what I was told about the jedi the susp is forgiving and the bike has really short stays so it's very much like the demo in that part. It's low but it's also a lot shorter than the demo so it should be more flickable

PM bullcrew as he owns one. He raves about his one all the time. Made me want to buy one really hard(if some companies won't come up with something nice for 09 I'll try to get one for sure).

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i would specifically like to mention that the geo on the older demos (8 and 9) is identical aside from a 5mm difference in bb height.

just throwing that out there

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i would specifically like to mention that the geo on the older demos (8 and 9) is identical aside from a 5mm difference in bb height.

I thought they were a bit longer and steeper

nickfr2000

Chimp
Sep 28, 2007
I have a Shockwave 9.5 with Romic rear, 888R, Gustavs, and floating brake. The BB height of the bike is really tall but if your not gonna race, then that isn't too bad. In fact the high BB but low center of gravity feeling makes it an excellent plow machine cuz you don't have to worry about large obstacles just as long as you are carrying alot of speed. Cornering isn't that bad but it takes more front lean for it to corner better. The Shockwave loves to take jumps with speed and just lands it with confidence. The floating brake enables me to do emergency braking on the rough steep stuff without off-setting the balance of the bike.

The Shockwave's look is a love it or hate it relationship. One thing I can tell you though is that it attracts alot of attention cuz because of it's imposing full monocoque frame.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

Not true. ST angle and HT angle are slightly different as well according to the geo page on the Specialized website.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
by .2 degrees, is that enough do even do anything? and as far as seat tube, i dont sit so i guess thats not an issue for me

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yes it is, it effects the meaning of your top tube measurement. Just saying they're really not identical bikes by any means and they ride quite differently.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
they ride way different been on 3 demo 8s and 4 demo 9s and they all felt different, i just love it when all the eight owners say they can feel the 7mm bb difference...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The following is a huge post, with research and actual reasons. Any input is welcome, thanks so much for the help and opinions and answers so far!

Maybe one of the canfields? Either the 7-8'' FR model or Jedi. From what I was told about the jedi the susp is forgiving and the bike has really short stays so it's very much like the demo in that part. It's low but it's also a lot shorter than the demo so it should be more flickable

PM bullcrew as he owns one. He raves about his one all the time. Made me want to buy one really hard(if some companies won't come up with something nice for 09 I'll try to get one for sure).
Thanks. Wheel base is really important to me (comming off a yeti asx, shorter than my friends large bottle rocket), so I think it's a bit out of the question. Also, I'm not ready to drop 2 grand+ on a frame (I'm 17 and work 45 hours a week during the summer, and 30 during school). I can find an older demo for cheaper, in pretty good shape, then buy some parts (I already have a lot of the parts from my yeti with with a full dh setup).

As for the demo, the geo may not be that different between the 9 and the 8, but that extra inch can get harder to move around sometimes, which was originally my concern. I will check out morewood. The EC-D I know is no demo, or morewood.

(AS COMPARED TO A DEMO 9, which is close to an older gen demo 8)
ALL FRAME COMPARISONS BELOW ARE MEDIUM VS. MEDIUM
-measurements assuming 25.4mm=1inch
The EC-D is a little more raked out then I want, about an 1 inch longer chainstay, and about 2 inches give or take a little less wheelbase. I think there is less than an inch difference in bottom bracket height. The top tube is shorter on the mongoose too, which makes it harder to hop into the "cockpit" when your truckin along in rock gardens. Demo 9's standover height is about a inch lower too (positive to me). Verdict, EC-D is not for me. Link if you disagree and have some insight:

http://www.clipmarks.com/clipmark/80BDA08F-9EDA-49A0-B68B-15494974C019/
http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/ProductDetails.html?id=2640&enc=mtn|6

I looked up the morewood izimu. The only problem is, there's new frames comming out in 09', and if people say this company is making a good product, they are bound to come out with something even better then.

Thanks guys. And here's a link to the newer (07'-09'?)
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGeometryPopup.jsp?spid=34367

Here's a really good link to a thread, with a guy that is comming from a yeti asx too.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=76243

Mountain cycle: The bottom bracket is about 1 inche higher than the demo 9. Also, the wheelbase is 1.5inches shorter on the mountain cycle than the demo 9. Stand over is very close to the same. A demo
9's chainstay is almost 1 inch shorter. Head tube angle on mountain cycle 67 degrees versus the demo's 63 degress! That makes a pretty big difference, the demo is more of a plow machine probably than the mountain cycle it seems, but the linkage and suspension path could prove that wrong I think, and probably the demo corners significantly better due to that head angle. Verdict-Mountain cycle out, demo has better geo for me.

Mountain cycle line for geometry:
http://clipmarks.com/search/shockwave+9.5/

I am not that smooth at rock gardens yet either (coming from bmx) jumping, wall riding, and turns are better to me than rock gardens, but I will catch on.

Keep it comming, thanks a lot for the suggestions and help!

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
they ride way different been on 3 demo 8s and 4 demo 9s and they all felt different, i just love it when all the eight owners say they can feel the 7mm bb difference...
They do feel different. Geometry, spec, weight, etc. are all quite different feeling IMO. A huge part of that is probably just how most people build them but they aren't equivalent bikes IMO.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
for what it's worth, i came from an ASX onto my current rig, an 08 SXT. The SXT is a far superior bike in terms of ride, no questions asked. the single pivot did pedal slightly better than the FSR, but that's my only gripe. tn comparison, the ASX feels terrible. the SXT corners amazingly, doesn't wheelie everywhere while climbing, it jumps better, and it take technical stuff WAY better. the ASX never seemed to corner well, it rode high in its travel and was really affected by braking forces. in technical stuff the ASX got bogged down pretty quick and the wheelbase was just too short with the bike being as tall as it was. a 19" seat tube on a medium? come on. you do feel square edged bumps quite a bit on the SXT, but i expected that when i bought the frame because i already knew about the traits of the FSR design. the suspension is far better in all other areas, and the geometry is off the charts good. i couldn't be happier, though i do think that a demo or some other "real" dh bike may be in my future, as distant as it may be.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You thought the AS-X pedaled better than the SXT? The AS-X has the WORST pedaling characteristics in the granny ring I've ever felt.

Sep 10, 2001
I have a Shockwave 9.5 with Romic rear, 888R, Gustavs, and floating brake. The BB height of the bike is really tall but if your not gonna race, then that isn't too bad. In fact the high BB but low center of gravity feeling makes it an excellent plow machine cuz you don't have to worry about large obstacles just as long as you are carrying alot of speed. Cornering isn't that bad but it takes more front lean for it to corner better. The Shockwave loves to take jumps with speed and just lands it with confidence. The floating brake enables me to do emergency braking on the rough steep stuff without off-setting the balance of the bike.

The Shockwave's look is a love it or hate it relationship. One thing I can tell you though is that it attracts alot of attention cuz because of it's imposing full monocoque frame.
Sounds like my old bike... I loved my old 9.5.

Also, on the cornering, if you shift your weight forward a little more (moto style), it will turn quick...

The floating brake is so key on that bike. Combined with the Romic, it was like a sofa in the rough..

Sigh... I miss that bike...

Brian

nickfr2000

Chimp
Sep 28, 2007
Sounds like my old bike... I loved my old 9.5.

Also, on the cornering, if you shift your weight forward a little more (moto style), it will turn quick...

The floating brake is so key on that bike. Combined with the Romic, it was like a sofa in the rough..

Sigh... I miss that bike...

Brian

That was your bike alright and I've almost kept it intact from how you built it except for the tires (Intense were worn out), stem (55mm v.s. 67mm), and seat tube (straight v.s. laid back) cuz I'm a shorter (5'8") but equally as heavy (220 lbs) rider and Tim of MC recommended that I do those fitment changes.

The Romic was recently serviced by Roger after it spewed oil on the compression knob after a jump. I thought about changing it to a CCDB but the Romic felt superb after the rebuild so I'm keeping it. I'm gonna experiment on the 8" world cup links that would lessen the travel but lower the BB height as well as make the HA slacker once MC decides to sell it.

Thank you for building it right Brian!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2001
Damn... That's cool to see that bike again... That was the first fitting of a Romic to a 9.5 to my knowledge.. I had to provide Roger with the spacing info at the time I got it..

My only regret is that I never got to go to Whistler with that bike.

I hope you are riding the hell out of it. :thumb:

Brian

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I've picked it all out, and I've decided on a demo 9. I'll keep you posted when I get one.