Quantcast

Calling all Fox 40 owners

s_c_biker

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
Singapore
I recently got my Fox 40 and its the best DH fork i've ever tried.

But i'm kinda of lost with the adjustments settings as i've never had a fork with so much control. So i was wondering if you could share your settings to start me off ? :D

Any chance anyone knows what the World Cup racers use?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
First off I assume you have read the manual a few times?

Out of the box my fork was too soft for me and bottomed really easy. Most everyones first ride reports were the same... too linear. BUT, thats out of the box. I waited to get the proper yellow spring for my body weight, and in the meantime just cranked up the compression to compensate. It didnt bottom but was a bit rough feeling. So after getting the proper spring, i started to back down the compression. I dont know my exact settings as far as clicks from zero, but im probably a little more than 1/2 way in on both. I think i could take off a bit of the low speed, but overall my fork is performing great. We rode some real tech DH trail yesterday. Its a mix of steep chutes that can either be rolled or sometimes dropped, real rough roots and rocks, and a few well built finish line booters. I didnt once bottom my fork, and i did a few good sized drops. All in all ive been really happy with this fork. Good luck!

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
I spoke with the importer last weekend ( in my country), and there a "cone" inside the lowers which you can turn upside down to get an improved progressive rate. I rode it this weekend, and it's definitely too linear out of the box.

Eno

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Most people I know run the high speed compression almost full closed. Like 4 clicks from full closed. That way, you get a fork that feels more progressive.

The importer was probably referring to the hydraulic bottom out control. It's set at medium when stock but can be switched to a harder setting by Fox Service Centres. That involves a complete disassembly of the fork damper cartridge though, so it's not a straightforward thing. It's not a cone, more like a couple of spacers interspersed with bushings. Varying the arrangement of the spacers will determine when the hydrualic bottom out kicks in. That only affect like the last inch of the fork travel and doesn't change any other part of the fork stroke.