Quantcast

Calling all Golden/Denver/JeffCo Freeriders

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
So I think it's time that we put our minds together and motivate to find a place to get some freeride terrain built around here. There's the new place in Co. Springs and Lory State Park up near the Fort but here we Denver area freeriders sit, broken hearted and waiting for Keystone to open in 7 months. Let's kick some ideas around and figure out who we need to talk to in order to find a space where we can legally build some freeride terrain. I think we should start with a meeting of the minds--a get together where we can bounce ideas off of one another and see what kind of connections we can work, who knows who that might have some pull, et cetera. I don't doubt for a minute that a group of freeriders who pursue an idea like this through the proper channels can make it happen. Look at all the skateparks around here--the concept isn't much different. Especially if we have a group representative of different ages--groms, high school rippers, young professionals, parents and beyond. IMBA has these freeride zones popping up and there are the two that I mentioned above. Could be a good jumping off point. The Denver area's newest and best freeride park starts with us. Ideas? Let's motivate!!

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Well there is always enough land over by the flumes in Littleton. That area is a plot of land that is set aside to build dirt jumps. There should be plenty of land off to the side to build a freeride skills park. People dig and change jumps all the time out there I don't see why we can get some lumber and start a course through the trees. Might need to get permission but I'm pretty sure we could pull something off there.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
So I think it's time that we put our minds together and motivate to find a place to get some freeride terrain built around here. There's the new place in Co. Springs and Lory State Park up near the Fort but here we Denver area freeriders sit, broken hearted and waiting for Keystone to open in 7 months. Let's kick some ideas around and figure out who we need to talk to in order to find a space where we can legally build some freeride terrain. I think we should start with a meeting of the minds--a get together where we can bounce ideas off of one another and see what kind of connections we can work, who knows who that might have some pull, et cetera. I don't doubt for a minute that a group of freeriders who pursue an idea like this through the proper channels can make it happen. Look at all the skateparks around here--the concept isn't much different. Especially if we have a group representative of different ages--groms, high school rippers, young professionals, parents and beyond. IMBA has these freeride zones popping up and there are the two that I mentioned above. Could be a good jumping off point. The Denver area's newest and best freeride park starts with us. Ideas? Let's motivate!!
Love your enthusiasm....

However, its not like we aren't trying or haven't tried.

Jeffco was ready to allow an area to be built on top of N. Table mountain. If we would have pushed it at all, it would have gone through. But a ton of rider (many on this forum), whined and complained because they couldn't get to the freeride area without pedaling their bikes. waaa.... too bad.

Jeffco is now being lobbied by many groups to put in some DH specific trails near I-70. Jeffco is open to the idea... as for Shore-style, I don't know about that. COMBA is working on it, along with the Trails-task force.

As for putting our heads together... its already being done. No thanks to the CDC, which was a money sink with a bad reputation. But other groups are working on getting something set up right now in Jeffco.

We're also gonig in the opposite direction with the new ADA approved 'trails' that need to be adhered to in Jeffco. This means that the new trails that are being built are even more boring than before.

If you want free-ride trails, my suggestion is this:

Buy land
Build trails

I'll be building next summer on private property in Frasier!

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
So if not North Table then why not South Table? So much easier to access.

Seems like there is potential--if all these whiners and candy-asses that aren't willing to pedal keep objecting then screw 'em. Pedaling is an integral part of biking the last I checked.

Ascentrek, if you don't mind, shoot me a PM with some more details about the organizations you talked about above (i.e. the "we" that are putting thier heads together, the CDC, the ADA etc.). I still think this is might be worth pursuing and if there are people trying I want in! Seems like there's a ton of spots in Golden alone...