Quantcast

calling all M-pire owners

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
If enyone could or has a the geo for a L nicolai M-pire that would be AMAZING.

I know they are very ajustable bikes,and it has a 100mm bb spacing,and a crazy 165mm rear hub spacing.

I am mainly looking for a wheelbase # and a TT ( top tube ) reach #

I know the bb sits roughly 14.5 and the head angle stock is 66deg.

thanks allot.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
440 freeride thru axle 110 mm / 20 mm 207 g IS (6-holes) -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

440 freeride thru bolt 135 mm / 10 mm 387 g (incl. RWS) IS (6-holes) RWS thru bolt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

440 freeride thru axle 135 mm / 12 mm 311 g IS (6-holes) -

440 freeride thru axle 142 mm / 12 mm 315 g IS (6-holes) -

440 freeride thru axle 150 mm / 12 mm 369 g IS (6-holes) -

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
for as much knowledge as youve shown in the past, it could be something completely different than what you think it is. tard.

if your friend works for or worked for Nicolai, why are you asking here?
Not to defend the resident moron, but 165mm hubs do exist and were used on a number of frames before the advent of 150mm (IH SGS DH, the Tomac Magnum 204 for example).

AFAIK the only retail manufacturers of the hubs were/are Hadley, DT Swiss, and Sun Ringle.

Jan 30, 2006
seattle
Not to defend the resident moron, but 165mm hubs do exist and were used on a number of frames before the advent of 150mm (IH SGS DH, the Tomac Magnum 204 for example).

AFAIK the only retail manufacturers of the hubs were/are Hadley, DT Swiss, and Sun Ringle.
yup, i used to run a 165mm dt swiss 440 hub on my old beone woodbumble plus. i actually just unlaced the hub from the rim, last night.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

oh no i have no doubt at all that there is 165mm hubs, im just calling him a moron just because.

Hadley only had the 160mm hub AFAIk

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
What the heck is going on here?

I do not understand this thread at all, why is this P-spec guy being blasted? He seems like the only guy NOT being weird and mean...

Im with rosenamedpoop... WTF??? you ban P-spec for doing bugger all...but yet theres a Italian suspension fan trolling all over several threads with his BS.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
What the heck is going on here?

I do not understand this thread at all, why is this P-spec guy being blasted? He seems like the only guy NOT being weird and mean...

Im not quite sure,people flame me,and I get the poopy end of the stick.I understand transcend and others have problems with my grammar and wat not,but I try,I am french canadian,and went to school in french.You guys are lucky enough you understand this much from a french canadian,seriously...

Thats why I used an emoticon and not bother sink to his level.
I think its about my hole dorado outburst.Wtv,it sucked big deal move on :)

I just want to get biking again IE this thread. :thumb:

Thanks Frasier for keeping me around.
Im just someone enjoying a passion like eny other one of you ;)

John McLeash

Chimp
Mar 7, 2010
Hi P-spec

I ride an MPire since 2006 i bought it used and it`s an 04 model.
The `04 model was optimized for a fork length of 605mm (old Marzocchi).
From `05 on it was optimized for 570mm forks, head angle is slacker and BB Lower.

The Mpire is very adjustable, even my old `04 Mpire is adjustable down to 13.6 BB Height and a 64° HA.
This is how i run it, geometry feels perfect.
Bike has some noticable pedal kickback because of the high pivot point.
And it`s a heavy frame plus heavy 100mm BB and heavy hubs for 165 spacing (415 gr for DT, 550gr for Sun Ringle).
I got mine at 42 lbs. which is a light build for this bike.
Bike is extreme stiff and well manufactured, but has a weight penalty.
The bigger the better, extreme long descends (alps, whistler) are the right territory for this bike, you will probably miss the last couple seconds on a race, but bike is absolutely indestructible and stable on hispeed.
Never changed bearings they last (needle bearings) a lifetime but have to be regreased every here and then.
I have ridden the bike 4 weeks in Whistler and all in all another 5 weeks in portes du soleil, never had any sort of trouble.

What you should check is play in the linkage bearings, I heard of some people complaining that continous forces widen the bearing seating in the linkage (never had problems there but heard of).
If frame has a lot play when you lift or push the saddle don`t buy it, a bearing change won`t solve it.

So far i`m very happy geometry is great and for a crash a lot like me excellent no dents, tubes are thick.
I threw my bike away in every kind of situation frame will definetely outlast your body.
Some would say it`s overbuilt, i say it`s a perfect and forgiving DH and FR Bike for the bigstuff.

Bike is on the longside mine is a small and it has 45" WB i think the large is another 2 inches longer pretty much a common length for a dh bike.
17.3" rear end, so you have a good length in front of you i never measured the TT but geometry feels very good.
You can also fit a 222 or 240 shock which gives you either more travel or different ratio if you play around with the travel settings travel is adjustable from 7.5" to 8.25".
I run a 240 shock in middle travel position which gives around 8.1" travel and a lower ratio than the 222 in full travel, feels very active and less like a DH couch.

WB is also adjustable range is 17.2 to about 17.7 chainstay length.

I checked everything for collision, you should do that especially for the tire hitting the saddle.
Everything works so far.

You should run a shock with good amount of compression or higher springrate, whatever you prefer, compared to a VPP or 4bar bike.

I run a customshimmed Manitou Swinger 6 way (new SFS Shimvalved Version) a good choice and i put a strong shimstack on now the bike rides amazing.

I would also consider a Vivid with c tune or CCDB would be a good choice.

And if you don`t get the 1.5 version you should take a headset with low stackheight as the steertube comes a little long with around 5".

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Hi P-spec

I ride an MPire since 2006 i bought it used and it`s an 04 model.
The `04 model was optimized for a fork length of 605mm (old Marzocchi).
From `05 on it was optimized for 570mm forks, head angle is slacker and BB Lower.

The Mpire is very adjustable, even my old `04 Mpire is adjustable down to 13.6 BB Height and a 64° HA.
This is how i run it, geometry feels perfect.
Bike has some noticable pedal kickback because of the high pivot point.
And it`s a heavy frame plus heavy 100mm BB and heavy hubs for 165 spacing (415 gr for DT, 550gr for Sun Ringle).
I got mine at 42 lbs. which is a light build for this bike.
Bike is extreme stiff and well manufactured, but has a weight penalty.
The bigger the better, extreme long descends (alps, whistler) are the right territory for this bike, you will probably miss the last couple seconds on a race, but bike is absolutely indestructible and stable on hispeed.
Never changed bearings they last (needle bearings) a lifetime but have to be regreased every here and then.
I have ridden the bike 4 weeks in Whistler and all in all another 5 weeks in portes du soleil, never had any sort of trouble.

What you should check is play in the linkage bearings, I heard of some people complaining that continous forces widen the bearing seating in the linkage (never had problems there but heard of).
If frame has a lot play when you lift or push the saddle don`t buy it, a bearing change won`t solve it.

So far i`m very happy geometry is great and for a crash a lot like me excellent no dents, tubes are thick.
I threw my bike away in every kind of situation frame will definetely outlast your body.
Some would say it`s overbuilt, i say it`s a perfect and forgiving DH and FR Bike for the bigstuff.

Bike is on the longside mine is a small and it has 45" WB i think the large is another 2 inches longer pretty much a common length for a dh bike.
17.3" rear end, so you have a good length in front of you i never measured the TT but geometry feels very good.
You can also fit a 222 or 240 shock which gives you either more travel or different ratio if you play around with the travel settings travel is adjustable from 7.5" to 8.25".
I run a 240 shock in middle travel position which gives around 8.1" travel and a lower ratio than the 222 in full travel, feels very active and less like a DH couch.

WB is also adjustable range is 17.2 to about 17.7 chainstay length.

I checked everything for collision, you should do that especially for the tire hitting the saddle.
Everything works so far.

You should run a shock with good amount of compression or higher springrate, whatever you prefer, compared to a VPP or 4bar bike.

I run a customshimmed Manitou Swinger 6 way (new SFS Shimvalved Version) a good choice and i put a strong shimstack on now the bike rides amazing.

I would also consider a Vivid with c tune or CCDB would be a good choice.

And if you don`t get the 1.5 version you should take a headset with low stackheight as the steertube comes a little long with around 5".

That is awsome,thank you very much.This one is a 06,with 9".With the 1/18.

Im not all "anal" about weight.I want my bike to be in the 40 to 45 pound range.So it doesn't cost all sorts of exotic money for the exotic parts.

Im about 5'10/5'11 at 165 170lbs,I have a great deal on a large complet.The owner is 6" @ 185,I think I could pull it off....

I was looking at the geo,and the reach is darn close to the medium v10,the wheelbase is a tad longer.Everything is close in similarity.Just the seat tube is 18.1" wich is getting me a little worried.But im all leg,but still 18" is 18".....

Thanks for the linkage a bearing play check and tip,much love.

IT has a custom tuned fox,apperently all the bearings have been serviced so has the rear hub ( ringle ).

I've always wanted one,

I found a dhs 2:1 here pretty respectfully priced and built too.h8rice now you can chime in about foes ;)

The nicolai is just outside of my province,so I want to be sure before driving out instead of a wasting of time.

Thank you for that reply,it is wat I was looking for.
:thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I found a dhs 2:1 here pretty respectfully priced and built too.h8rice now you can chime in about foes ;)
one of the best bikes ive had. what Curnutt shock is on it? the coil or air? what year is it?

i still have mine as a backup to my Revolt

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...

I am still thoroughly confused after reading this^ entire thread...

How is P-spec any different from 19 out of 20 regulars on this forum?

He gave an emotion charged opinion about something (Dorados), included badly researched info as proof, got ganged up on, acted defensively... like every single other RM regular has done all too often.

Plus, the guy is speaking english as a second language, so he cant even express himself fully.

WTF...?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think p-spec is barely different from others here.

This board has gained good reputation since regulars often managed to lead newbies in the right direcion. Especially the new members learned to shut up and listen unless they had something substantial to say. There is little needed to change about this. Banning a member for anything less than a crude attack, or repeated ignorance of rules or members' advice seems inappropriate in a community as advanced as here. I mean look at other forums, we are still far ahead. Fraser sure intended nothing bad, just had his cup full by the time some of us still had patience with p-spec.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I wont lie,all I said was the truth about my dorado and my ignorance to not really caring about the hole air cartridge,wen really it is a huge diff,aswell as obviously the "tpc" is clearly not the same as the one in my old 5 year old fork.

I still havn't made 1 personel attack on a membre for wtv they posted.I have wen I was 15 however,and not on here...

Thanks for the wat ups,guys.
Respect :thumb:

Frasier doesn't need to worry really,I only post asking for personel experience'd guys/people to help for the futur or the current.I understand I can't show you guys neither eny cool suspension bikes as I havn't had one since my v10,wich has been a few years.Can show you a weird looking seatless bike with lots of exotic stuff however :p

I think I will just buy a new tomac and spec it up for summer time.