Quantcast

Calling all monkies (recipe requests: fast and easy)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Okay, I need to know some fairly easy, but tasty recipies.

Whata got?

Just post whatever good recipies you have :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Enchilada's are easy...

Just choose what ever you want in them (beef, chicken, pork or veggies) and then choose the type of tortilla you like better (corn/flour) and finally choose either green or red sauce.

If you are using meat, cook the meat first if you are using veggies, depending on how you like them (crisp or soft) you can just add them right in. Roll up the filling (cheap and easy filling is ground beef/onions/black olives and some sauce) then line them up in a pan drown 'em in sauce and top w/cheese then bake them bitches for about 30-40min on tree-fitty.

Voila!

fairly easy, fairly tasty...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Stirfry and pita bread.

Get veggies, chicken, and some sauce(I like soy, mustard, chili paste, and a bit of honey) and cook it up in a wok. Put rice onto boil. Once everything is cooked toast some pitas in the wok and stuff them with rice and veggies.

Yummy......gotta make dinner now!

The Ito

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I forget what it's called, but my mom taught it to me year ago and it's simple.

Ingredients:
12 oz egg noodles
1 pt of sour cream (or yogurt for the healthy minded)
3/4 lb Cheddar cheese
2 cups diced chicken
2 jars of Salsa (your choice of temperature)

Cook chicken (I typically boil it b/c keeps it moister) then mix with Sour Cream, and cheese in bowl. Boil Noodles and drain - lay in the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan. Put the chicken/cheese/sour cream mix ontop of the noodles and spread evenly. Lastly cover it with the salsa.

Cook at 350 for 40 mins (although it seems to always take longer), you can check to see if it's done by just pushing the edge back a bit to see if it's boiling.

Take it out an let it sit for a 5 or so minutes.

The cool thing about this is you'll have leftover that can easily be re-heated.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
italian...plenty to choose from. here's a favorite of mine, very simple, easy to cook, and tasty.

boil some pasta (i like the fusilli shape for this dish). reserve some pasta water.

in a saute pan, pour some olive oil in a pan over medium heat, and cook some chopped garlic (usually about 3-4 cloves; put half in). cook until soft, but don't cook until it browns. throw in a can of drained and rinsed canneloni beans, and heat for another minute or so. add the rest of the garlic. throw in the pasta, mix well, and add some of the pasta water (a few spoonfuls).

serve w/ chopped fresh parsley, freshly grated parm reggiano cheese, and freshly ground black pepper.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
I know you said no lasagna, but this is damn good and makes a nice presentation.

Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
Ingredients:

6 regular mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
1 medium onion
4 entire Lasagna shells from one 16 oz package
20 oz. spaghetti sauce
1 tablespoon Taco seasoning
5 eggs
1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (the white cheese)
1 teaspoon oil
1 carrot
1 teaspoon salt

Procedure for about a 6 x 10 pan:

Bring pot of water to boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, put 4 shells lasagna in until the pasta is tender
Chop onion, green pepper, and mushroom in small pieces.
Put the teaspoon oil in a frying pan and sauté ¾ of total green pepper, ¾ onion, and all of the mushroom on high heat.
Add taco seasoning and all of the spaghetti sauce to the pan with the veggies.
Break the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk them. Add 1 ¼ cup of cheese (so that ¼ cup is left over), and mix well.
By this time the boiling pasta should be done, drain it. Cut to fit the pan. Excess is not needed for rest of recipe.
Turn heat off to sauce pan and let cool (sauce can be made days or hours in advance if desired).
Obtain pan in which lasagna is to be baked. Spread 1 cm layer of sauce over bottom of pan. Spread one layer of pasta.
Spread one layer of egg/cheese mix (about 1 cm).
Peel carrot and shred (do not do this too early or the carrot will turn black).
Sprinkle unsauteed onion, bell pepper, and some carrot shreds.
Put another layer of sauce, then pasta, then egg.
Repeat step 11.
Sprinkle rest of sauce on top, and then sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese not in cheese/egg mix on top.
Repeat step 11.
Make sure that you don’t fill the pan up to the very top, as it will overflow in the oven. Leave at least 1 cm the top rim of the pan exposed.
Preheat oven 350-400. Cover lasagna with foil.
Put lasagna in for 45 minutes.
Uncover lasagna and place in over at same temperature for 15 minutes (this way water on top will evaporate).
Take out and let stand for 15 and 20 minutes. Eat.

Serve with a spinach salad and a bit of wine, very tasty.

The Ito

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Well, Kick ass recipe, I will use it another time, but I just cooked lasagna For the same people a week ago......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
how about a quick pasta dish w/ pancetta or proscuitto, peas, onions and a touch of cream?

failing that, carbonara is always a good bet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Here's a current favorite Italianesque dish:

Chop & fry a couple strips of bacon in 1T butter and 1T olive oil
Add a couple cloves of garlic
Add about 1/2 mined onion
Cook until onion gets soft
Add a small (~14oz) can crushed tomatoes
Salt & pepper to taste
Cook for awhile until it reduces
Turn up the heat and add about a cup of heavy cream
Add cut asparagus (as much as you like)
About 4 minutes before the cream has reduced, add 1/2 lb of raw shrimp
Toss with fresh cooked pasta
Serve with fresh parmesano reggiano (or grana padano)

We usually have it with caprese as an appetizer (fresh tomatoes & fresh mozzarella)

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This stew ain't quick but it's not hard. It takes time in the oven but not much active work. The result is friggin awesome. Best in a big heavy overproof pot with a cover. No I didn't write this just for you.

Start with four or five pounds of boneless stew meat (lamb or beef), seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown it on all sides in a little olive oil - this will take two or three batches but take your time and get it good and brown on all sides, varying the heat to keep it high without scorching. Set the meat aside and remove most but not all the fat. Add 2 chopped onions, 3 chopped carrots, 2 chopped potatoes, and 1 chopped leek and cook til getting soft. Add about 5 or 6 cloves of crushed garlic. Add a bottle of decent red wine, something dark and lush. Crank the heat and cook the wine down to a glaze. Put the meat back in there with a can or two of good quality crushed tomatoes. Add a quart or two of good stock (enough to pretty much cover everything), a bunch of good herbs, and bring to a simmer. Cover and stick it in a low oven (300 - 325 degrees) for at least three hours or until the meat pulls apart with no effort. Let it sit for a couple hours (or overnight) so the meat can reabsorb some of the liquid.

It's pretty much ready to go at this point, you can just gently reheat, season, and serve. For the deluxe approach, reheat it, remove the meat and set it aside, then strain the veggies out of the sauce, discarding the cooked veg but keeping the sauce so you have nothing but stew meat and the sauce (which has all the good stuff from the veggies anyway). Then roast some new veg separately. (If you take this approach you can be very sloppy (i.e., fast) with cutting up the veg that cooks with the meat.) Serve by piling some roasted veg on a plate, add some meat, ladle the sauce over everything, then sprinkle with a little fresh thyme or whatever else you've got. Then kick back and enjoy the accolades!! I like to drink something similar (if not the same) as the wine used for the stew.

Another variation is to remove the meat and puree some of the veg with the sauce in a blender. This works great and gives you a thicker sauce but you'll still want to toss some of the veg or it will be too thick. This pureed stuff is a great pasta sauce for the next day, just toss with cooked pasta and some reserved stew meat.

This is one of those recipes where the basic technique goes a long way. I've done boneless beef and lamb as well as lamb shanks. You can use whatever veg you like, especially at the end. (Throw in some peas at the last minute for the diner effect.) You can also use white wine and lighter stock with a couple of cut-up chickens or rabbits.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
This stew ain't quick but it's not hard. It takes time in the oven but not much active work. The result is friggin awesome. Best in a big heavy overproof pot with a cover. No I didn't write this just for you.

Start with four or five pounds of boneless stew meat (lamb or beef), seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown it on all sides in a little olive oil - this <snip>
This is beef bourguignon. A KILLER recipe. We serve ours over fresh papardelle...... :drool:

Oh - and with chicken it's coq au vin. :D

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Ill is what you are when you get the flu.
"Do you eat pork" needs a '?'........

Just kidding, dude!
haha sweet. i was wondering when you became a memeber of the grammar nazi crew. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
way back when we had a sticky for recipes, my osso buco one was the 1st entry.

i've resurrected it for you:

Osso Buco

2 tbsp flour
4 veal shanks
2 small onions (one in rings, the other chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
1 med carrot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes (and liquid)
1 ¼ cups dry white wine
1 ½ cups chicken or beef broth
1 strip of thinly pared lemon zest
2 bay leaves
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

for the gremolata:

2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
zest of one lemon
1 garlic clove finely chopped
(ed note - you can also add in some rosemary, and some more salt)

Pre-heat oven to 325F
Season flour w/ salt and pepper
Coat veal shanks w/ flour, shaking off excess
Slice one onion into rings
Heat oil in flameproof casserole dish (such as a Le Creuset, natch)
Add veal and onion rings, and brown both sides of the shanks over medium heat
Remove veal and set aside
Chop remaining onion, and add to pan w/ garlic, carrot and celery
Stir bottom of the pan and scrape up the brown bits into the juices.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened slightly
Add the chopped tomatoes and liquid, wine, broth, lemon zest and bay leaves, add
salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil, stirring.
Return veal shanks to the pan and coat thoroughly w/ the liquid in the pan.
Cover and bake for ~2 hours, until the veal feels tender when poked w/ a fork.

Meanwhile, make the gremolata by combining the above ingredients.

When the veal is done, remove from the oven and discard the lemon zest and bay
leaves. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or pepper if desired. Stir in
gremolata.

Serve w/ polenta or risotto. and open a nice bottle of chianti or barbera (barolo or barbaresca if you are feeling flush).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
This is beef bourguignon. A KILLER recipe. We serve ours over fresh papardelle...... :drool:

Oh - and with chicken it's coq au vin. :D

-S.S.-

Yep. A great technique with limitless variations. Coq au Vin is traditionally done with red wine, I've done it with lighter stock and white wine and it works great too.

It's one of those things where the end result is much greater than the sum of the parts.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
Here's a current favorite Italianesque dish:

Chop & fry a couple strips of bacon in 1T butter and 1T olive oil
Add a couple cloves of garlic
Add about 1/2 mined onion
Cook until onion gets soft
Add a small (~14oz) can crushed tomatoes
Salt & pepper to taste
Cook for awhile until it reduces
Turn up the heat and add about a cup of heavy cream
Add cut asparagus (as much as you like)
About 4 minutes before the cream has reduced, add 1/2 lb of raw shrimp
Toss with fresh cooked pasta
Serve with fresh parmesano reggiano (or grana padano)

We usually have it with caprese as an appetizer (fresh tomatoes & fresh mozzarella)

-S.S.-

I used this, It was kickass :thumb:

Brian, Can we make this a sticky?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
Would *I* lead you astray, young disciple? Now get creative and try combos other than shrimp and asparagus. This is a *very* versatile base.

What kind of wine did you serve?

-S.S.-

None..............

The kick ass omlet:
use as mutch ir little asu like.
EGG
mutzarella cheese
Ham
onion
garlic
tomato
red wine
olive oil
what ever else strikes you fancy.
Chop every thing and saute it and reduce all te liquids. (reduce, dont use a lid it will never work.)
Take every thng out and make a really thin egg omlet. (use low heat and some time)
the stuff the omlet.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Whoops, Well, whatever.

So no one has any other recipes? If you do, post them here, so we can have a recipe thread when you need it

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
caputo1989 said:
Do I see a chew in your profile pic? Shurley your parents must hav wine arround the house that you could use. The alchohol cooks out of the wine.

Meh, No chew, I am VERY health oriented.

We have wine, I just don't like the taste of it...........

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
punkassean said:
Enchilada's are easy...

Just choose what ever you want in them (beef, chicken, pork or veggies) and then choose the type of tortilla you like better (corn/flour) and finally choose either green or red sauce.

If you are using meat, cook the meat first if you are using veggies, depending on how you like them (crisp or soft) you can just add them right in. Roll up the filling (cheap and easy filling is ground beef/onions/black olives and some sauce) then line them up in a pan drown 'em in sauce and top w/cheese then bake them bitches for about 30-40min on tree-fitty.

Voila!

fairly easy, fairly tasty...

yo!, a pointer.
enchiladas are the ones wrapped in corn tortillas.
burritos are the ones wrapped in flour tortillas.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Kick ass pasta recipe that I did last night after my cyclocross race!

1 lb angel hair or other thin pasta
1 lb shrimp
1/3 cup butter
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
8 oz Pepper Jack Cheese
1 onion
1 cup sliced mushroom
Red Chili Flakes, salt and pepper

Melt the butter in saucepan, add onions and mushrooms. Saute and then add the mushroom soup and pepper jack cheese. Once it is all melted in add the shrimp. Cook for ten minutes or until shrimp is done. Meanwhile boil up the pasta. Toss together and serve HOT. Add the Chili flakes and salt and pepper to tast. I suggest a dash or two of each while melting everything. If you want it spicier throw in more chili flakes after it's done.

Great with a nice sourdough roll and white wine.

The Ito

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The real Buffalo wing recipe. I grew up on the east side. Every tavern made them the same. 15 cleaned up wings whichever you prefer. I use Purdue. Heat Goldeneaze or any other frying oil up to 375. While the oil is getting hot mix up 2 parts Franks Red Hot sauce to 1 part butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Throw the wings into the hot oil for 10/12 minutes or until golden. Throw the wings into the sauce and splash 'em around. Plate them. If you plate them "dry" they are mild, "wet" they are hot. They go great with a Lager....jdcamb

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdcamb said:
<snip> mix up 2 parts Franks Red Hot sauce to 1 part butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Throw the wings into the hot oil for 10/12 minutes or until golden. Throw the wings into the sauce and splash 'em around. Plate them. If you plate them "dry" they are mild, "wet" they are hot.
I dunno. That Frank's stuff is hot like tomato sauce out here........... :p

-S.S.-

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ALEXIS_DH said:
yo!, a pointer.
enchiladas are the ones wrapped in corn tortillas.
burritos are the ones wrapped in flour tortillas.

Another pointer:

Enchilada means "in chile"... so they really need to be made with red or green chiles.

Red enchiladas are good with diced beef inside and a fried egg on the top... yummmy!

Carne Adovada is :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
chicken curry

thai red curry sause from trader joes-1 bottle
3 or 4 chicken breasts
rice enough for 3 people
and a bag of harvest vegtables from trader joes(the mixed veggies with the carrots and the baby corn)

cook the rice like you normaly would in a larger pot than normal. cook chicken when the chickin is done add the veggies. when the veggies are heated add to ride put the sauce in(most of the bottle) and stir. fast, easy, tasty, and healthy

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure what it is, but I made this tonight, turned out really good.

Random chicken dish w/brown rice

1/2 cup brown rice
1 Chicken Breast
1 Orange bell pepper
1 roma tomato
1/2 purple onion
3/4 cup chicken broth
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Dried Oregano flakes
Garlic Salt

Start up the brown rice, add some salt to the water and a few spoonfuls of chicken broth.

Cut up veggies and set aside. Put chicken breast on plate with Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and Oregano and coat the thing. Roll it around and make sure you get a nice coat all over. Now place all the veggies, the broth, and the chicken in a pan(it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook at a low heat, so time it with the rice). Flavor the whole thing with garlic salt and oregano flakes to taste Cook each side of the chicken breast for about 10 minutes, until it has cooked through. You should pile veggies and broth on the chicken, it seemed to help the veggies pick up the flavor. Pull it off, drain most of the remaining broth and serve over the rice.

Very tasty!

The Ito

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
SkaredShtles said:
I dunno. That Frank's stuff is hot like tomato sauce out here........... :p

-S.S.-
But it is what they make good wings from. You could put some of that Haberno stuff on them. But then they wouldn't be Buffalo style baby....