Quantcast

Calling all N. and Central Oregon peeps

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
word. am living in vancouver, washington now and am trying to find out the good trails/rides down here. preferably xc or light dh as both my guy and i are getting over injuries still (translation=not in good shape right now!). looked online for the hiking/biking clubs but they seem seriously lacking compared to seattle!

anyone have any suggestions? and speaking of xc, i'm without a proper xc bike so if any local peeps know of any for a 5'6" girl, that would be stupendous!

Thanks!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Megan Black said:
word. am living in vancouver, washington now and am trying to find out the good trails/rides down here. preferably xc or light dh as both my guy and i are getting over injuries still (translation=not in good shape right now!). looked online for the hiking/biking clubs but they seem seriously lacking compared to seattle!

anyone have any suggestions? and speaking of xc, i'm without a proper xc bike so if any local peeps know of any for a 5'6" girl, that would be stupendous!

Thanks!
You moved?

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Talk to Thor at Thor's Berzerker Bikes in Woodland. He's good peeps and the only shop I know in the area anyway. He sometimes organizes group rides in sweet seldom-ridden places too. If you''ve been around the WIM scene you may already know him and his wife Jen.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Check out Willamette Pass. They open up the lifts to mountain bikes in the summer! We did the ORBA final there. I was alot of fun.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
No, no, no.
If you're in Vancouver, WA you should ride the Larch Mtn trails. From what you described, they should fit your bill and are very close. If you look East from your house, the big hills (small mtns) in the Hockinson area are where they're located.

Farther East, out in the Gorge, you'll find the Syncline trails. Across the river from there in Hood River, are the Post Canyon trails.

When you feel better, come race indoor bmx at the new track in Milwaukie, OR, just south of Portland. They always have a big mtb class.

Check out The Fat Tire Farm at 27th and Thurman in NW Portland. They are the largest mtb shop near you. For the best deals and largest selection go to Universal Cycles at 80th NE Columbia. No sales tax in Oregon!

Maybe we can ride together sometime.
Tim

NECROMONGER

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Olympia
The Peak bike shop (360)-704-3315 in Olympia, might still have a small Juliano XC for sale. You might go in there with cash and talk them down! :nuts:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hey MB, try Portland United Mountain Pedalers www.pumpclub.org for some local info too. There's a few transplants up here and they all have said good things about the group.

Say Hi to gimpy too.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I'm not sure of the XC in this area except for larch mtn. and maybe the trails at post canyon, but I know of most of the DH, shore stuff, dirt jumps and street spots. And I don't know why everyone has forgotten UNIVERSAL CYCLES, right across the river in portland. They have access to many more products than fat tire farm and thier prices don't leave you broke.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Packing up and moving without letting us throw you a going away party??? C'mon Meg, we've treated you better than that haven't we? :confused:

I guess we'll have to make up for it when you come back to see us sometime.

Just make sure to figure out all the killer trails well enough so you can show us around when we stop through on our way to Bend.
:dancing:

Give Mr. Rohloff a kick in the knee for me.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
excellent, excellent...yes, yes, thank you all for the great suggestions...

got ahold of thor, he's a great guy, we'll definitely hook up on rides w/him and wife

ooh, gonna call that shop now, thanx necromonger

gimpy says, "hi" borneo and ouch! qman (i gave him a really good one!) when are we gonna hang out agin??

mad dog, sending you a pm!

mb

Mad Dog

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Meg! I'm new here to Vancouver also. I've been riding Bells Mtn, Tarbell and Larch. All are in pretty good shape. I'm going to Larch tomorrow-being self employed has its perks! Check out Forest park in Portland for long rolling fireroad get-in shape-rides. crowded on weekends but still fun. Let me know when you and your hubby can get out for a ride. Later.
Mad Dog

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Megan Black said:
gimpy says, "hi" borneo and ouch! qman (i gave him a really good one!) when are we gonna hang out agin??

mb
Soon I hope. I'll make sure I restock the "Russian Quaalude" fixin's!

MrCookie

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Bend, OR
Bunch of trails here in Central Oregon.

Here is a link to the local trail org.
COTA (cotamtb.org)
The Phil's trail network is great for XC, lots of options. Some of the upper trails are okay for light FR or DH. Most of this is still muddy/snowy.

East of town is Horse Ridge, and some stuff out at Smith Rocks.

Another trail that is a must for good riders is the McKenzie river trail.

There are also a couple of trails out of Oakridge (creampuff 100 is done there), and Eugene (shotgun creek comes to mind). And there is the Waldo Loop which is an epic loop around Waldo Lake.