Quantcast

Calling all Schwinn 4-Banger Experts!

CTB

Chimp
May 29, 2008
Hi everyone. I'm not sure where to put a question about a "vintage" mountain bike assembly issue, so I thought I'd start here. Please advise me if I should be posting elsewhere. Thanks!

So, the issue. I think there might be some people here who still remember these bikes. I've just gotten one of these:

Now I'm going through my bike and installing new bearings, etc. I have some questions about the main pivot on the carbon swingarm. I disassembled the bike, but now that it is apart, the inserts in that pivot don't really seem to make much sense. Maybe it's correct, but it seems odd. Here are pictures of what I have; all pictures are with the bike right-side up (i.e. it would be on its wheels):

Pivot pieces in their locations, but pulled out of the frame:

The main pivot pin went through these pieces, of course.

Is this really how that pivot is suppoed to be put together? The smaller insert on the right of the bike (drive side, last picture above) seems like it was in backwards, as compared to the left side. Has anyone taken one of these babies apart and has some tips? Essentially, I just want to know how the parts should be so that I can reassemble correctly. This is vastly different from the non-Homegrown 4-Banger that I had taken apart.

Thanks for any help/tips/info.