Quantcast

Calling all shock boffins - Not your usual valving question...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, yeah. i'm just bored of the current state of technology. everything is converging on sameness, and it seems more attention is paid to colorways & stylish noodly tube shapes than real innovation. i wants to see some next level sh1t!

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
yeah, yeah. i'm just bored of the current state of technology. everything is converging on sameness, and it seems more attention is paid to colorways & stylish noodly tube shapes than real innovation. i wants to see some next level sh1t!
Well, I agree. Which is why I'm working on the next level sh!t ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
nah, it's true. Everybody and their mother is building bikes that have two links and a specially calculated wheel path/falling rate/bottle opener/patent application. The reality is there's nothing that separates these bikes....and I'm sick of the hydroformed tubing.

I don't know if a separate spring and damper are the best options out there, mostly for packaging and structural concerns, but something like the old school carbon fiber "seatstay/springs" would be pretty neat if it could be rolled into a usable DH package.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I'm afraid the industrial revolution for downhill bikes has already come and gone.

This is the age of refinement. Albeit refinement that will make big differences.

I hope some genious can prove me wrong though!

Now back to more important matters...

I know what you are saying. However, I think the shock is still being pushed in this case.
If the link driving the shock could theoretically be replaced with a rope, then the shock is being pulled. Because you can't push with a rope. Just sayin... :)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Thanks all, but I really don't need to know about ancient pull shocks and erroneous naming conventions.

I just want to know if any modern compression shocks can be converted in to a tension/pull shock. Other than flipping the compression and rebound shim stacks to work the other way round, what else would be needed and/or why would this not work?
The biggest issue IMO would be the pressure on the seal head in compression (which is now extension of the damper, but for clarity's sake let's say compression = compression of the suspension, rebound = extension of the suspension when measured at the wheel, same as for a usual shock). However if the seals are up to it, my recommendation would be to get a CCDB, reverse the rebound and compression assemblies (they might even be willing to do it for you, for a fee) and flip the main piston if that's possible. Then voila - everything works exactly as it should, except in reverse. Again though, higher pressure on the main shaft seal than it would otherwise see - but if you're willing to take that risk then I can't see why it wouldn't work. So long as you can switch the rebound and compression assemblies and flip the piston around (might require mods, who knows) then yes it should be fine.

I wouldn't really recommend using a normal De Carbon style shock simply because the porting and valving in the shock reservoir bridge would more than likely give you some headaches - ports previously intended for rebound flows would now cop compression flows (much higher flow rates) and may lead to cavitation due to insufficient oil pressure between main piston and reservoir bridge valving.