Quantcast

**Calling all teams** Any interest in getting your own forum space?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
edit: Okay, we're going to give this a shot. So if you're interested:

E-mail me (binaryvisions at ridemonkey dot com) or PM me: your team name, what kind of forum you want (public, private or both) and the username of the people you want to be team leaders (these people will be able to add or remove users from the forum).
I recently set up a team with their own forum space on here. Instead of just doing a one-off custom forum, I went through and set up the infrastructure to manage these forums going forward.

So, are any teams interested in having their own forum? I am considering offering up to two forums for each team: one public, one private. You can have a public forum to recruit, advertise team events, promote the team, whatever... and then a private forum to discuss issues that you only want the team to discuss.

What do you guys think about this? It's easy to manage. I can designate team leader(s) to approve and deny requests to join the forum, so you guys don't even have to wait for the mods to help - all the permissions are user-manageable.

If you think you'd be interested in such a forum, please respond to this thread. It'll help me gauge if it's something we should pursue.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sounds like a good idea, whats the catch??
No catch. Initial setup and testing was the most difficult part of this from my perspective, and that was already done for the team that requested it. So the investment has been made, might as well use it.

We're trying to get Ridemonkey more involved in the biking community. The post I made last week asking for writers is part of it, and this is another good way to entrench us more in the actual riding community.

There is a lot of biking discussion on these boards, and if we can bring more people in to make this a "hub" rather than just a place to blow off steam, I think that's a great thing. You guys get free space for your discussions, you don't have to go to different websites to do it, and we get a little extra traffic, name recognition, and perhaps get a little more solidified in the community.

:thumb:

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
doesn't most teams already have their own forums and sites?
Maybe. I don't know. That's partly why I posted this.

The other thing is, if we provide the forums, it removes a level of administration from the team. Nobody has to worry about the server or the forum software or upgrades or security. That's all on us to take care of.

Another consideration I had was that people already browsing Ridemonkey wouldn't have another forum they have to check. It's right here.

But this whole thing was an experiment; I think, given that several teams have expressed an interest, I'm going to start adding the forums. If it takes off as a good idea, great. If nobody uses it, no harm done.

I'll be PM'ing the people who have posted interest, but anyone else:

E-mail me (binaryvisions at ridemonkey dot com) or PM me: your team name, what kind of forum you want (public, private or both) and the username of the people you want to be team leaders (these people will be able to add or remove users from the forum).

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I'd be interested in a general DH team forum for general discussion on setting up teams, racing info, management, sponsership stuff, etc.