Quantcast

Calling all Volkswagen fanatics...

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Well I'm looking to buy a mark III gti. Either a 2.slow or a vr6(if taken good care of). I am located in CT so it would need to be somewhere in the northeast, or surrounding areas. I was wondering if anyone knows any good sites or forums that I would be able to look at volkswagen classifieds. Lately I have been searching the vwvortex.com forums and and bargainnews.com I would just like to explore all my options here and find the right car. So if you know any good websites that have good deals on used cars (especially volkswagens) just let me know. thanks!

-J.R.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
vortex is your best bet
also check:
cars.com
autotrader.com

don't get the 2.0 if you care about performance

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
What's the story with the vr6? Are they still selling those in the US?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I stopped following VW's after the MK4 but I don't think the VR is an option anymore. Probably VW's best sounding engine.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I saw one of those at a dealer - 2004 or 2005 for 36k. Ouch!

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
dfinn said:
vortex is your best bet
also check:
cars.com
autotrader.com

don't get the 2.0 if you care about performance
well its getting difficult to find vr6's that aren't beaten on. The ones that aren't still have high miles and are for like 8 g's. I'm only 16 and have 5k plus into my bike so I can't spend more than 6k on a car...and plus when you live in ct, with narrow windy roads a 2.0 can be driven fast :devil:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am pretty big VW and Audi fan. Are you looking for something that will have good fuel economy or something that is going to be a blast to drive? I have owned MK3 Golf GLS and had a few close friends with MK3 Jetta/GTI VR6's. The 2.0 slows have great fuel economy and the VR's are a bit less - but such a blast to drive. The VR's get very quick with a couple mods.

As for places to buy, try your local craigslist.org listings and the vortex.

If you have money - look into a Corrado. =] I have had three of them. My favorite VW besides the Golf Limited. mmm G60 16v stock from VW.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would love a VR6 GTi, that would be slick. I bought my ex-wife a Passat GLX with the VR6 back in '93. That car was a blast to drive and would have been even funner had it been a stick (she can't drive a stick).

The GTi being a lot lighter, I can only imagine what that thing feels like to drive. But I have been drooling over the Mark V for a month now...

:drool:

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Total heckler- To be honest I really dont care about fuel economy. I just want to find a gti, with under 120k, thats clean for under 6 g's (preferably around 5) shouldn't be too difficult. If I can find a vr6 that fits that description, then it will be mine!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Changleen said:
I forget you get water for Gas in the states... You need to fill it with 98 octane...
We can get 100 0ctane. I still don't think it will make that VW fast though.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The VR Corrados had the 12v VR6 engines which were the first VR's VW put out. The Timing chains had issues around 80k or so. Corrados just require lots of maintenance unless they were well taken care of. G60's are one of the sweetest engines VW has ever put out. They only came in the Corrados in the US. But the superchargers pretty much go bad at 50k. Once they are rebuilt or replaced - its just normal maintenance stuff to keep them on the road.

Here was my Corrado in its prime (it won Peoples Choice in the local car show of over 360 cars) - 8 point roll cage, momo harness', momo racing seats, stage IV supercharger etc. too many mods to list.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
We can get 100 0ctane. I still don't think it will make that VW fast though.
I think he's been drinking 98 octane. Just putting higher octane in an engine isn't really going to make it any faster. You would need to make other adjustments to the engine to make use of the higher octane such as : timing adjustment, cam, s/c, turbo...

That's a nice rado. Here's my old gti:

vr6
super charger
chip
cam
schrick intake
H&R coilovers
porsche wheels
magnaflow exhaust

it was a fun car. i've since realized that cars are a stupid thing to waste money on.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice GTI.

My friend is putting in his stage 3 turbo kit on his VR this weekend. He does chip tuning for Dinnan as a side job - so they are letting him use a lift and the shop for the weekend. His car is going to haul SO much ass.

A buddy of mine has a supercharger MK3 GTI. Pretty quick, but I think my friends turbo one is going to rip.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Total Heckler said:
If you have money - look into a Corrado. =] I have had three of them. My favorite VW besides the Golf Limited. mmm G60 16v stock from VW.
The Corrado is an awesome car, It's the only car I have sold I wish I still had, when I sold her she had 110K and was still as tight and fast as the day she was new.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
A buddy of mine has a supercharger MK3 GTI. Pretty quick, but I think my friends turbo one is going to rip.
Most likely, but no lag is really nice.

One of the fastest cars I've ever been in was a friends MK2 VR with a nice big turbo. He spanked my VR on multiple occasions.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Dude MK2 VR's are so out of hand fast. Haha.

Yeah it makes me sad when I see my car still.

But I have my Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro now. I am so happy with it. Quattro doughnuts are so rad.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I have a MKIII golf 5 door. Used to be pretty nice to drive, now its crap after a couple years of horrendous abuse and little maintenance. After three different people ran into my car I gave up. Anyway I was pretty into VW's back in the day. The 2.0 is okay if you dont care about being fast, if its running well its not a total dog. 125 lbs ft of torque is better than most entry level 4 cyls. Dont expect to see any significant power gains with modification short of turbocharging. The VR6 in that car feels pretty good, although it is a fairly heavy engine mounted forward of the front axle, bad juju if you really want sharp handler. The handling still isnt bad, but you will see more understeer than with the 2.slow. I bought my mkIII at the worst possible time, the price really took a dive shortly after I got it. You can pick one up dirt cheap these days, but you can plan on doing a fair amount of maintanence. If you want a car you wont have to touch, dont get one.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
3.2 liter 6 cyl - 240HP
awd
recaro seats

overpriced and underpowered when compared to subaru wrx or mitsu evo

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I love the R32, but like Finn said I couldnt buy it given the lower price and better numbers of the EVO and STI. It has a much more upmarket feel than either of those two, but it is slower and doesnt handle as well. The evo and the wrx feel like exactly what they are, fast and cheap. I got to drive an EVO MR hard and it doesnt really feel that great. The power curve is pretty lame, nothing before 3000rpm and flat after 5500. The 06 model is supposed to be better tuned. I havent gotten to drive an STI or the new 2.5 WRX, I can imagine they would be better. I test drove a new 2.5GT legacy and it felt great. The forthcoming MkV R36 should be tits, although you can expect audi-like pricing.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't know details about the STI or the EVO but my guess would be that some of your complaints about power delivery could be fixed with a chip. A chip in the R32 N/A engine won't make much of a difference.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dfinn said:
I don't know details about the STI or the EVO but my guess would be that some of your complaints about power delivery could be fixed with a chip. A chip in the R32 N/A engine won't make much of a difference.
Well youre absolutely right. The R32 motor is more or less maxed out. You could see some small power gains but nothing dramatic without getting into anything serious. Turbo cars in general are cheaper and easier to tune. I was just comparing stock to stock. If you want a car to upgrade, the evo or wrx is the way to go.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
As the former owner of an '85 GTI and a '90 Corrado, I'm puzzled by the comments about these cars being "fast."

I didn't think my VWs were "fast" when I drove them. They were fun (even though the torque steer was annoying) but I never thought that they were very fast.

Is "fast" being used relative to other four banger econoboxes or do people truly believe that they are "fast" in the great scheme of cars?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
The only four banger econobox that's been mentioned is the GTI with the 2.0 four cylinder engine. I don't think that's fast.

All the rest of the cars mentioned I would say are relatively fast for a daily driver. A s/c or turbo vr6, wrx sti or mitsu evo are all considered pretty fast when compared to what else is on the street.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dfinn said:
All the rest of the cars mentioned I would say are relatively fast for a daily driver. A s/c or turbo vr6, wrx sti or mitsu evo are all considered pretty fast when compared to what else is on the street.
I guess it depends upon what you normally encounter on your local streets then and/or what "fast" cars you have been in then.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My 85 and 89 GTI's were fun, not fast.

Timing chains are something that need to be watched on the VR6. Changing the crack pipe from the plastic one to a metal one is a good thing.

Corrado problems...they can be an electrical nightmare. Your power windows and sunroof may take the day off on you. For some reason if a Corrado you are looking at should need a fender or hood, prepare to bend over and take it like a man. Fenders and hoods are pricey to replace.

G60's are the original Improvised Explosive Device. Stay away from those.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I would go so far as to say they are downright slow. With alot of work you can make a 2.0 or 2.8 VR6 relatively quick but unless you go absolutely nuts you will find yourself losing to most anything else. If you want cheap and fast buy an eclipse. My advice, If youve got some money to spend try to find a 97-99 suby 2.5 RS. Fun, reliable, awd, and good looking, and not too pricey.

I used to waste more time on VW vortex then I do on here now.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
rpk1988 said:
This is my friends 79' Rabbit. Its tight and fast.
Hey, there's that "fast" thing again.

I do dig the retro luggage rack and suitcases in that shot though (and the use of multiple flashes).

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
justsomeguy said:
Hey, there's that "fast" thing again.

I do dig the retro luggage rack and suitcases in that shot though (and the use of multiple flashes).
There werent multiple flashes...all lighting. It was taken in a silo or some factory one night...they were trespassing lets put it that way.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
I guess it depends upon what you normally encounter on your local streets then and/or what "fast" cars you have been in then.
not trying to be a dick but i'm curious what you consider fast? keep in mind that so far we've been talking about cars that cost 30 grand at most but for the most part much less than that.

since we're posting pics of rabbits here's my old one:

not fast but one of the best handling cars i've been in.