Quantcast

Calling all Volkswagen fanatics...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dfinn said:
keep in mind that so far we've been talking about cars that cost 30 grand at most but for the most part much less than that.
Right, if the "fast" comments are qualified as "fast" for $30k then I would agree (while ignoring the speed of similarly priced big block cars in a straight line).

That's why I specifically asked about "fast" in the great scheme of cars, because in the great scheme of cars they're not very fast.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
It wasn't ever specifically said but I think it was implied.

I don't think anyone who's posted in this thread has thought they were going to line up their 4 banger vw against some exotic or even an american muscle car.

I've always had a thing for Grand Nationals. With some tuning that's a car that can be damn fast in the grand scheme. My friends think I'm white trash for wanting one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had a '96 GTI VR6. Fun car, my WRX has a lot more power but I really miss the low end torque and faster throttle response of the VR6.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
dfinn said:
I don't think anyone who's posted in this thread has thought they were going to line up their 4 banger vw against some exotic or even an american muscle car.
I use to own a 98 A4 1.8t that ran a 13.3 @104 (2nd drag pass ever) It was pretty moddified, but exceptionaly capable. I had some very respectable lap times with it. So, yeah I would claim that with the right work you can play with some big boys, especially on a road corse.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When it comes to VW, I still like type 1's the best.

My brother built a 57 oval with a 2180cc flat 4 sucking dual Weber 48 ida's. It smoked just about anything, period. It was primer gray with ghetto flames and the total build was under $3000. To this day, that was as fast a car as I've ever ridden in.

My ex's vr6 hasn't had any motor issues, but the auto trans has been rebuilt twice and it has 120K on it. The electrical is a bitch too, but I got the 100k warrenty and most of it was fixed under that.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
justsomeguy said:
Right, if the "fast" comments are qualified as "fast" for $30k then I would agree (while ignoring the speed of similarly priced big block cars in a straight line).

That's why I specifically asked about "fast" in the great scheme of cars, because in the great scheme of cars they're not very fast.
All the "American Muscle" cars you see now days are actually small block V-8's - even the Z06.

As for handling, my old 99 VR6 4-door doesn't handle that well.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dfinn said:
I think he's been drinking 98 octane. Just putting higher octane in an engine isn't really going to make it any faster. You would need to make other adjustments to the engine to make use of the higher octane such as : timing adjustment, cam, s/c, turbo...

That's a nice rado. Here's my old gti:

vr6
super charger
chip
cam
schrick intake
H&R coilovers
porsche wheels
magnaflow exhaust

it was a fun car. i've since realized that cars are a stupid thing to waste money on.
I am going to need more pictures....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have owned 2 vw's now...When I went to college i sold my jeep wrangler :rolleyes: and bought a 1.8 jetta. The thing was a TANK for me all through school, little to no repairs, great in the snow (black steelies all year), tons of room. I absolutely loved it.

So when i got out i bought a mk4 Jetta GLI with a VR6...Love this one as well...

The mk3 gti's are pretty much rock solid cars, one of my best friends has one with around 130k on it and it is going strong...I'd pick one up if you can!

Here's mine:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
chicodude said:
I am going to need more pictures....
I don't have many left but here's what I could find:

i think I liked this look the best. Black powder coated BBSs rims

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
e-codes, but not angel eye. this was a couple years ago and that was a pretty involved DIY mod. I believe that there's a company making them as a kit now, isn't there?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dfinn said:
e-codes, but not angel eye. this was a couple years ago and that was a pretty involved DIY mod. I believe that there's a company making them as a kit now, isn't there?
Im not sure actually, I am thinking about picking up some angel eyes (would complete my car at this point). Just wondering if you had any thoughts. The people on vortex are a little too much for me...:think:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Sorry, I don't know much about them. Unless you are going to do HIDs also they are pretty much just for looks and I never really got into things like that.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
This guy's GTI is very cool (ignoring the goofy wannabe euro plate)

He had a bigger injectors, a tweaked turbo, etc., etc. and he could lay down some serious James Bond-esque smoke when he got on it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The engine in my brothers Corrado

Engine in his old Scirocco

Engine in his old NB

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice turbo VR in that corrado.

That Fast thing...

My G60 had 153hp and 153 torque to the wheels. I smoked most v6 cars in with no problem. NA 4cyl pretty much had no chance against it. That was fast for what it was.

As for a serious TDI - my buddies is SO fast. Too many mods to list. Here he is getting some air:

Click here to see the video 3.9mb

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Total Heckler said:
As for a serious TDI - my buddies is SO fast.
Is "SO fast" faster than "really fast" and "fast for what it is"? I'm working on a a "fast" hierarchy.

That video was really lame, on a number of levels.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Its faster than most 6cyl cars. Has alsmost 300 torque. It has really nice coil overs so it handles quite well too.

Sorry, its an impressive car to see and drive.