Quantcast

Calling Dr. Ridemonkey

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I went OTB on Sunday and ended up with a grade 1 (or whatever they call it) AC tear in my left shoulder. (and a slight collapsed lung). Spent a couple of days in the hospital and now I'm home.

When can I start doing PT and what type of exercises should I be doing? The doctor said I can start moving it ASAP but I don't want to do extra damage.

FWIW, I'm not on pain pills. Pain isn't too bad if I'm not moving around but if I try to lift my arm pain goes up and it feels like something is tearing.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I looked in the mirror yesterday and said, "wtf, it looks like a bunny is growing out of my back!".

The EKG lead is long gone.

This is more than a mild sprain*, as my shoulder is physically lower. But I did speak with about 4-5 other bike riders that said they had the same injury and they did say it is minor, in that it requires no surgery.

*I'm no doctor and I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn...

Honestly, the hardest part about this is listening to my girlfriend bitch that I'm doing do much (sit down, stop moving, don't pick up that car tire, etc)

chillindrdude - thanks for the link!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
chillindrdude - as to the "sack the fvk up" comment, the ONLY reason I went to the doctor is because my lung was making funny noises. I did wait until the next day before going to the doc. Not sure if that makes me a non-pvssy or just dumb. :)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I did see a doctor. You think I just have my own EKG stickers? :)

After reading the pdf from chillindrdude, I think the doctor told me the wrong thing. My shoulder is lower than the upper bone piece. You can see it in the first picture. edit* you can see it better in picture 2.

I got a CT scan and two X-rays.

Last edited:
chillindrdude - as to the "sack the fvk up" comment, the ONLY reason I went to the doctor is because my lung was making funny noises. I did wait until the next day before going to the doc. Not sure if that makes me a non-pvssy or just dumb. :)
i was just kidding ;)

treat it like any sprain. rest, elevate, and ice for a few days. take it easy.

then slowly progress your rehab exercises. the arm hang, pendulum exercise is a minimal impact, range of motion exercise that should be tolerable.

in general, if there is sharp pain, with a certain movement, don't push it.

you want to maintain range of motion, and stretching exercises, in the beginning before moving to strengthening rehab exercises.

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Um... damn. That looks like it might have tingled a bit.

Honestly, the hardest part about this is listening to my girlfriend bitch that I'm doing do much (sit down, stop moving, don't pick up that car tire, etc)
Take her advice. Sit down, watch tv, and have her bring you a steady stream of beers.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't you mean Dr. Toshi? In all seriousness, did you go ER or to see your regular Dr? At this point, I would go see your regular Dr. It's not going to hurt to get a second opinion and worst case they find something worse that needs to be dealt with.
As somebody who took the first Dr's suggestions with a separated clavicle and dislocated shoulder, I did far more damage by taking his treatment.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Take it easy for no longer than two weeks. Any longer and your injured shoulder can tighten up and you can lose mobility. As someone who's had multiple shoulder injuries, I suggest going to a physical therapist before having surgery. I have been able to rehab all of mine without getting cut on.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
See a doctor.
Don't you mean Dr. Toshi? In all seriousness, did you go ER or to see your regular Dr? At this point, I would go see your regular Dr. It's not going to hurt to get a second opinion and worst case they find something worse that needs to be dealt with.
As somebody who took the first Dr's suggestions with a separated clavicle and dislocated shoulder, I did far more damage by taking his treatment.
:stupid:

Else wise you end up with a shoulder like mine.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I, too have a gimp shoulder. Thank you, chronically lax joints.

Anyway, if the clavicle and acromion aren't at the same level it isn't a grade 1 AC sprain. Almost all sprains are non operative. I don't know what pt is recommended specifically.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Has anyone ever noticed that when you get your ass beat when your drunk as compared to sober it hurts less the next day? Why do you think that is?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I had one of those. 3rd degree got downgraded to 2nd degree after a couple weeks.

Rest it. But get some range of motion exercises from a physio.

Get a sling too...