Quantcast

Calling fox 40 owners, some tech help please!!!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, here's the story... I have a yeti asx with a full dh kit on it. I also happen to have a fox 40. I'm lowered the 40 1 inch to 7 inches to change the frame geo a little. I did EXACTLY as the manual told me, put the correct ammount of oil in, and put the spacers where they should be.

Got it back together, went for a parking lot test, and around 1/2 way through the travel, I hear a clicking noise. I don't think it's the spacers, because it makes 2 clicks. Once when it goes through the travel, and once when its rebounding or coming out.

Any help? Thanks

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
its most probably the spring rubbing, dont worry about it. if you are really anal, you can experiment with moving the rubber sleeve on the spring up or down until the clicking stops.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
that's what someone else told me too. but... it makes 2 clicks... wouldn't it only make one if the spring is touching at some point?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
why wouldn't it touch at the same point on the rebound stroke? the spring wont know the difference between compression and rebound.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
haha, I'm confused... ok...

so what's going on. Is the spring being compressed, bending a little, and hitting the sanction, or what?

Why didn't it do before I took it apart?

Thanks

SuPaFlY

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
Toronto
what it seems like is your spring is rubbing. take your top cap off, and flip the spring. Try that out. Sometimes, the shrink wrap slips down the spring, and since its not where it should be, the spring rubs away. First flip the spring, and try it out, if it still rubs, youll have to separate the shrinkwrap further apart, until you find where its rubbing and eliminate it.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
If the spring is rubbing, is it a serious problem or is it just an annoyance?

theres a tick/cling when my fork compresses after a manual or something and im pretty sure its the spring

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Alright, my friend told me to ducktape it. I know ducktape isn't usually a permanent solution. I'll try the spring thing where you move the cover down.

But my question is, why wasn't it like that before I took it apart?!?

And secondly, if the spring makes contact with the sanction one time, why is it making 2 clicks?

Thanks guys for your input, I really do appreciate it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Alright, my friend told me to ducktape it. I know ducktape isn't usually a permanent solution. I'll try the spring thing where you move the cover down.

But my question is, why wasn't it like that before I took it apart?!?

And secondly, if the spring makes contact with the sanction one time, why is it making 2 clicks?

Thanks guys for your input, I really do appreciate it.
Springs wear in a pattern, like everything else on a bike, Tires, Brakes Etc, so when you went back together the spring isnt sitting in the exact same spot, so now it loads just a touch. The wear is right at the very ends of the spring, and is the spring seats arent absolutly perfect, then you will tweak the spring ever so slightly to match the inperfection of the seat, so now that the spring is sitting in a different orientation, its loading just ever so differently, making it contact ever so slightly. Best bet is to pull the spring out, redo the shrinkwrap, and reinstall it.

This is something that is NOT just a fox happening, alot of long travel forks have the same issues when rebuilding them, Fox Marzocchi, Rockshox, Manitou Etc. I have done at three of each of the above listed Manf.. Same fix for all of them.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, you're telling me to redo the shrink wrap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-40-40-RC2-GREEN-TITANIUM-SPRING-NEW_W0QQitemZ150221064057QQihZ005QQcategoryZ36135QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

See that black covering in the middle of the spring, I'm guessing that's the shrink wrap.

I don't mean to seem helpless, but should I move that around and adjust it so it no longer makes a clicking noise, or put some ductape on it, or what?

Sorry to post 2 times, first link didn't work.