Quantcast

Calling GearGirl!!!! TriCities Question

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Help - I'm in tri-cities for the week and only brought my trail bike - ! didn't know it was roadieville!!!

I found some local dirt and pulled at least 50 goatheads in less than a 1/4 mile (stans took care of every one)

So where do I ride and what tubeless tires do people use on the eastside????

Thanks - :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
OK... anyone have any suggestions? Its 7AM and I need to find some place to ride! :)
My parents live over there so when we visit them I usually ride out at the State Patrol trails off 395. Single track with lots of sagebrush. Not the best trails, but they work with what's avalible over there. You really can't get lost, there are some trail signs.

Watch out for snakes if you are riding in the afternoon.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Um, Geargrrl here. I don't know diddly about Tri-cities, sorry. It's 2.5 hours from Spokane, never ride there. When at a loss check the MTBR trail listings.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My parents live over there so when we visit them I usually ride out at the State Patrol trails off 395. Single track with lots of sagebrush. Not the best trails, but they work with what's avalible over there. You really can't get lost, there are some trail signs.

Watch out for snakes if you are riding in the afternoon.
Thanks - I'm going to hit that tomorrow. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Thanks - I'm going to hit that tomorrow. :)
Right on. I just talked to my Mother and it's pretty warm over there:plthumbsdown: Kevin and I usually hit those trails the day after Thanksgiving, work off some food. It's usually a balmy 30 degrees.

What are you doing over there anyway?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
What are you doing over there anyway?
My parents are building their retirement house in Richland so I thought I would drive over and encourage them to build close to the river...

I had originally planned on bringing the road bike but changed my mind at the last minute and brought my trail bike. Big mistake since all I have are UST tires - there are goatheads everywhere!!!

I also brought my sea kayak to tool along the Columbia - that has turned out pretty well. I am staying at the Hampton in Richland, right on the river which is next to the city park. I can launch about 50 yards from where I parked.

The weather has been pretty good as long as you keep moving. Staying in one place can be pretty unpleasant.

Have you ever eaten at the Fish n Chips trailer??? Its calling to me...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
...next to the city park.
Howard Amon, I have many a memory of family reunions and picnics in my youth.
And getting popped trying to sneak into some C&W show at the "Fingernail" with my cousins.
I don't care what anyone says, sneaking in to things in E. WA. can lead to good things. My cousin stepped on something on the banks of the Columbia while sneaking into the Hydro races. That something turned out to be "Kennewick-Man".

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
My cousin stepped on something on the banks of the Columbia while sneaking into the Hydro races. That something turned out to be "Kennewick-Man".
Name dropper, and btw I went to bed at 10p.

Back in topic, if you can SM you should move over there. The weather is wonderful!

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
State Patrol is probably your best (and maybe only) bet. There used to be some fun trails out in Finley along the river, but I haven't been out there in a couple years.

Markees used to have trail maps. They have a shop in Richland now.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
State Patrol is probably your best (and maybe only) bet. There used to be some fun trails out in Finley along the river, but I haven't been out there in a couple years.

Markees used to have trail maps. They have a shop in Richland now.
Yes - I stepped into Markees in Richland for some stans - I was told they didn't have any there but I should try the Kennewick location. At that store I asked someone who appeared to be the owner if he had the specialized version for UST. I promptly got a lecture on how UST was crap and no one in "the desert" runs UST because it just adds an additional layer of complication to your wheel set...

Anyhow, I'm riding with 3 other guys from the wet side who are using tubes - I am the only one who hasn't gotten a flat... :bonk:

We went back and bought a whole bunch of tubes from that other bike shop in Richland - $80.00 in tubes we were going to buy at Markees.

If you know this guy... :bonk:

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
yeah, i would say the only good bike shop i the tri-cities is scotts. they may not know as much about mountain bikes, but at least they are cool. scotts is also just down 395 from state patrol, so that's convenient.

as far as trails go, state patrol is definitely the best place, but if you're in richland you can go the acme trails, which are down by the yakima river.
this might have been the place you were saying you had already ridden, idk.
anyway there are a few miles of very flat trails that are still kind of fun because they are pretty twisty in some places. the fact that there is shade down by the river is nice too. to get there you head toward kennewick on george washington way and take a right right before it turns into the highway. you go down this road a ways (it curves to the right along the highway) until you see a bridge that crosses the highway on your left. then you take a right after crossing the bridge, and another right where there is a park sign. follow this road until you hit the parking lot and the trails are right there.

i have built a few trails of my own near badger mountain but they are push up downhills and are very sandy and overgrown right now, so not worth riding.

and i don't know how visitors to the tri-cities get so many flats, i have never gotten one riding an offroad trail--i've only gotten them on the sides of roads. in the course of a week my friend from kirkland got like 7 flats riding here while i got none, and i was always riding ahead of him; it was mind boggling. i prefer the wal-mart Bell tubes that come filled with slime.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
and i don't know how visitors to the tri-cities get so many flats, i have never gotten one riding an offroad trail--i've only gotten them on the sides of roads. in the course of a week my friend from kirkland got like 7 flats riding here while i got none, and i was always riding ahead of him; it was mind boggling. i prefer the wal-mart Bell tubes that come filled with slime.
I got all my goatheads pedaling along the side of the Columbia trail while riding with my parents. We did 25 miles and I was getting bored at 12 MPH.

I am staying less than a mile from the Yakima river - those are where the first trials I found.

Thnaks for the informations my friend. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well, the guy sounds like an arrogant ass, so yeah it was probably the owner. :blah:

Did you try the fish and chips yet? You're still posting so I'm guessing not. :rofl:
The fish & chip trailer served up some of the best deep fried goodness I've ever eaten. Good chit!!!

Today I finished up the rest of the trails (I think) behind the State Patrol.

Not too bad at all but I was surprised that there weren't any other bikers there that I could see. Weather was fine except the wind was at my back on most "climbs".

Tri Cities is the only place I have ridden where I thought I had too much bike - total hardtail xc county.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Tri Cities is the only place I have ridden where I thought I had too much bike - total hardtail xc county.
Yeah, but i've still mobbed down state patrol on my dh bike all the same haha. Did you hit up skateboard at all? It has some lines going off the side of it with some small drops and jumps that are kinda fun. Its pretty far out and the part i'm talking about is in a "steeper" and narrower ravine.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I hit all the small trails across the "top" - going down one and then "up" the next - I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything, being out over 6 hours and doing some trails both ways. Most trails are clearly marked... might have missed some though... good XC times all around. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
The fish & chip trailer served up some of the best deep fried goodness I've ever eaten. Good chit!!!

Where is this fish & chips truck located at? I'll see if my parents have been there.

You totally don't need much suspention out at the State Patrol. I usually ride my epic 3" travel bike out with no problems.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The worlds BEST fish n chips can be had off George Washington Way between Lee & Swift - possibly on Knight Street. You cant miss it - painted blue with two large US flags on either end. You should give it a shot when you are there this Thanksgiving - the $6.00 basket is enough for 2. :)