Quantcast

Calling the Ridemonkey Medical Hotline.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, sooo my knee was bothering me for months, it happened when I was doing heavy weighted lunges at the gym I think. It started feeling better, so I decide to do heavy squats. It hurt, and wouldn't stop, even mowing the grass hurts.

So I have a fracture in my tibia, and have for quite some time probably, so that explains the pain. Had the MRI today. I know I am being vague; meaning I am not too sure of the type of fracture etc, but I am seeing the doctor monday and wanted to know what you guys have been through. They said the fracture is set in place though, and I will not require surgery (THANK GOD).

How long does a fracture take to heal? Did any of you monkies get a immobilizing splint, or a cast? Are you prohibited from lifting heavy weights or doing anything hard at all after the fracture heals (I.E. is a weak point formed?).

I know this isn't ridemonkey MD, but I'd imagine with you guys riding, some of you have had fractures or breaks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My knee.... When I went to the ER, I was told I needed to stya absolutly still, no weight on it PERIOD, put into an imobilizing splint and sent home. Instead of waiting for an appointment to be made for me, I was calling the doc the next morning<monday> I was seen on friday, MRI, come to find out immobilization was the worst thing I could have done... But then again the ER doc had to assume I destroyed every ligiment... What ended up happening was bone bruising on the tibia, and femur... basically multiple micro fractures, and a small tear in tne meniscus and a burst bursa. Did not need surgery but the overall healing took a retarded long time, initial healing before it was bearable was close to nine months, to were the doc has finally said your done healing..... Little over two years.

As for treatment on such injuries, it all depends on what, were, how bad..... I have had alot of fractures in alot of places... never had to have surgery but had everything ranging from just deal with it its fine, to full casting for two months and everything in between.... So it all really depends.

With what your describing, I will make a guess of some type of a movement limiting knee brace that is adjustable as you heal. Thats what I ended up in gave no vertical support, but side to side support, did not allow for rotation, flexion and extension were limited and adjusted on a regular basis...... that was the first six months<Yes I was hitting some race events in between when doc wasnt looking>....

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok thanks man. I guess we'll see the prognosis soon. I am glad because this is really starting to bother me actually pain wise. Who would of thought it would be a fracture, I mean I was walking on this sucker for months.

I hope I get one of those immobilizing units that prevent lateral movement/twisting etc.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Most of the time with fractures that are set into place, you need to move. I know it sucks but thats at least been my experience. I will say this.... it will hurt worse before it gets better.

Keep us informed, injuries always suck

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea man, I hope they don't cast me! I am a trainer at a gym so I can't really afford that with school and all. But you said one usually needs to move. A radiologist at the gym told me that a lot of the pain that I have is probably just because of the swelling around the area and the reason my tendons and ligaments hurt is because of the pressure on them...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you have any sort of immobilization, get ready for your calf to come out of it like a toothpick. It will feel like a piece of warm raw tenderloin.

The good news is that the muscle will bounce back fast. You look ridiculous in shorts for a couple of weeks though...

may be alittle too late, but what kinda MRI did you have? was it an "open air" MRI or a traditional "closed" one? the "closed" one (where you're in a tube), is preferred, because it gives you higher resolution and produces better quality scans. assuming tendon/ligament injury is ruled out with the MRI, and your issue is related to the fracture, bones typically take 6-8wks to heal. i'm no orthopedist but i suspect that it'll be recommend that you take it pretty easy during that time. as for casting, i doubt it, probably a splint or immobilizer.

let it heal properly, rather than trying to get on it from impatience or misguided machismo. 6-8wks is a drop in the bucket in your long riding career

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Is it pain at the knee? If so it may be a torn meniscus.
It's really weird, it is pain in the back of my knee primarily. I talked to a radiologist at my gym, he has been in the field for about 12 years and he told me the reasons my knee hurts is probably due to the swelling and extra fluids in the area, so it makes the ligaments and tendons rub/pulled tighter/etc...

may be alittle too late, but what kinda MRI did you have? was it an "open air" MRI or a traditional "closed" one? the "closed" one (where you're in a tube), is preferred, because it gives you higher resolution and produces better quality scans. assuming tendon/ligament injury is ruled out with the MRI, and your issue is related to the fracture, bones typically take 6-8wks to heal. i'm no orthopedist but i suspect that it'll be recommend that you take it pretty easy during that time. as for casting, i doubt it, probably a splint or immobilizer.

let it heal properly, rather than trying to get on it from impatience or misguided machismo. 6-8wks is a drop in the bucket in your long riding career
It was in a closed tube. And the riding isn't my main concern, my squat was finally getting close to double my body weight which was my goal, and now I am going to be down about 40-70 pounds I bet when I return. I don't know, I have turned into a powerlifter/meat head and don't ride enough because riding is comparably expensive. Hence why I have that moto thread of me riding, because it is closer/cheaper.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I went to the docs today... It is a fairly renowned facility called Penn Medicine.

Doctor one (the less experienced young one)-
He comes in and says something to the effect of "yea it looks pretty bad, all your tendons and ligaments are in tact but it looks split and you might need plates and screws" he literally said plates and screws. He said I would need to be casted, but he gets the second doctors opinion.

Doctor two (the experienced gray hair one)-
He comes in and tells me to use crutches for three weeks, he wants the inflammation down and tells me they want x-rays then for the appointment. He said I am lucky with the way things look, it looks like I either smashed it really hard or had a hyperextension injury. And won't need surgery. If it was worse, and he said it probably isn't, I would need surgery and it would cause arthritis eventually.

So I kept you machismo monkeys updated.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Tibula only? No Fibula?

That's a pretty uncommon injury.

PS you must have some pretty big balls to walk on it for that long. I didn't even considered walking after I busted my fibula (straight to the ER for me, after I smoked a blunt).

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Tibula only? No Fibula?

That's a pretty uncommon injury.

PS you must have some pretty big balls to walk on it for that long. I didn't even considered walking after I busted my fibula (straight to the ER for me, after I smoked a blunt).
Tibia only, and I ain't no dope smokin' white boi! Lol jk.

Edit: Would this not qualify me for the machismo poll?!?!?!?!?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, so the crack is healed. It has been for several weeks. He told me to use the crutches half the time I was. Now I am able to be crutchless and I feel pain again almost the same as it was (and no, I did not go riding or do any leg workouts).

So I get 3 weeks of physical therapy by these people:

Apex Physical Therapy | POTTSTOWN, PA OFFICE

Geeze I hope I get the one on the bottom!

:think:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I got the SMOKIN physical therapist today. She was showing me different stretches today by self demonstration... :thumb:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well, you do realize that I am nearly 21... And I have a thing for MILFS. My point being, you guys didn't get to see how awesome it is below the face. Hahaha.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Hot PTs are the BEST, and somehow get me healed faster...

"Ok, we're going to push on this here and let me know when it gets too painful for you."
"............... (if anyone else were doing that I'd be screaming right now, but must not look weak in front of the pretty girl)........."

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass

"Ok, we're going to push on this here and let me know when it gets too painful for you."
"............... (if anyone else were doing that I'd be screaming right now, but must not look weak in front of the pretty girl)........."
My wife does that to me. :D She's an exercise physiologist, Athletic Trainer, and (to me) one really hot babe.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007

And she was pushing on my legs when I was laying on my side. She was saying, "fight against my pushing". So I did and she was like "I thought I said fight me pushing". And she kept doing it over and over again laughing at me struggling because it was my weak point...

Haha, mad funny though, I'd hit it anytime.

BJ in the physical therapist office..What? haha one could only wish.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
And she was pushing on my legs when I was laying on my side. She was saying, "fight against my pushing". So I did and she was like "I thought I said fight me pushing". And she kept doing it over and over again laughing at me struggling because it was my weak point...

Haha, mad funny though, I'd hit it anytime.

BJ in the physical therapist office..What? haha one could only wish.
Are you 15?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
What is that supposed to mean?

Edit: Rather what exactly are you referring/implying?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just the use of the word "mad" in that context followed by mentioning a BJ and little boy snickering. Well, that's what I pictured it my head as I read it anyway.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
In my circle of friends/some acquaintances it's mad cool, dope, sick, rad or awesome for the most part. Just how we talk out of habit.

A BJ is what any dude in my position would wish for I'm sure.

As for the laugh, imagine this: