Quantcast

calzones

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Make your favorite kind of pizza, put a scoop of ricotta on top, fold in half, deep fry.

Technically not a calzone, but better.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there a difference between a calzone and panzerotti? It is like pop vs soda?

The name calzone is almost never used here.

A local pizza shop offers them baked or fried - the baked one is just as good as the fried one, if not better. The less toppings the better, unless you like a gooey glob of shmooooo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is there a difference between a calzone and panzerotti? It is like pop vs soda?

The name calzone is almost never used here.

A local pizza shop offers them baked or fried - the baked one is just as good as the fried one, if not better. The less toppings the better, unless you like a gooey glob of shmooooo.
baked = calzone

fried = panzerotti

i am going for baked.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What Westy said, but bake it instead. Poke a hole or two in the top to avoid a small explosion.

Personally I like sausage, spinach, and ricotta. Cook the spinach first to get rid of extra moisture.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I worked at pizza place here in Rochester. Even though Calzones were not on the menu. If certain customers called we would make them Calzones. Both of them were just medium pizzas folded in half. Same sauce and ingredients as their Pizza. Around Easter time we would put boiled eggs and chopped Mortadella instead of Pepperoni. No cheese just sauce. Egg wash and no cuts. For some reason the weirdo customers liked them when they exploded.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
How about cook times/temps? My oven goes to 550 and with a stone I can cook a pizza in about 5-6 minutes
I have discovered if my oven is clean and I bake the pizza on clean I can get 600d. Utilize the highest heat you can attain. 5-6 minutes is pretty good. You seem good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have discovered if my oven is clean and I bake the pizza on clean I can get 600d. Utilize the highest heat you can attain. 5-6 minutes is pretty good. You seem good.
mine goes to 550, clean cycle autolocks and i don't wanna bother to hack that. i just give the stone a good 30 minute preheat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, and let the stone re-heat in between pies or calzones for best results. Really hard to do when there are many hungry eyes watching...
they cook fast enough that unless i have all the pies made in advance, there's enough of a delay in between while i do the prep work that it stays heated