Quantcast

Cam Cole wins Kiwi Nationals

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm not trying to be an @ss, or anything, but I'm curious... Why's a Brit racing in a Kiwi National?
Claire Buchar raced in the Aussie champs. she is a Canuck (unless she is a Aussie now b/c of her husband.)
it isnt anything new really, but would be funny if a non-national won and the real "winner" came in second.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I really didn't know that you could race in another country's National championship... Heh, it seems to take something away from it if, like IH8Rice said, someone of a different nationality took the championship. Like if Steve Peat, or any of the other racers, came over and won your US Nationals.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I really didn't know that you could race in another country's National championship... Heh, it seems to take something away from it if, like IH8Rice said, someone of a different nationality took the championship. Like if Steve Peat, or any of the other racers, came over and won your US Nationals.
Other nationalitys can race but can't win the title. There were a few brits there since they are based in Queenstown for the (northern hemisphere) winter. Gee also knocked himself out the day before. Hopefully he is ok.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Claire Buchar raced in the Aussie champs. she is a Canuck (unless she is a Aussie now b/c of her husband.)
it isnt anything new really, but would be funny if a non-national won and the real "winner" came in second.
Happens all the time at the Aussie nationals in the women's class - Buchar won it last year for example, Jonnier has won it at least once too. The winner gets any prizes, but the first placed rider who is actually a citizen of that country gets the "national champion" title.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Happens in the uk at the regional champs too. Lots of the english regulars to the scottish series turn up the the scottish champs.
If you love racing then it doesn't matter, its still testing yourself against other riders.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Gee came 1st and Dan 2nd in the Irish Nationals a few years back too. They stand on the top 2 steps of the podium of course but Ben Reid was crowned national champion.

I'm glad to see Cole take the win, i hope he keeps up the form he showed last year for the world cups.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I think it's a good idea to have other nationalities competing to help local riders step up their game. It's a good experience for what level of competition they can expect on the world cup stage.