Quantcast

Camelbak and how well it holds up to crashes?

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
I am interested in purchasing a hydration pack, but as I am a beginning rider trying to enter the world of DH, I find myself falling more frequently than I would like. I am wondering how well the Camelbak bladders hold up to the crashes and the rigors of DH. Any suggestions on a pack made by Camelbak for this specific duty? I will need the storage space for at least the necessary bike tools, and my wallet. Any suggestions would be great.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
dakine.

i havent used a camelbak brand unit before but I imagine they are quite nice, my experience has been with the Dakine apex and nomad. They are perfect for dh and trail riding. the apex is wider and carries more, the nomad is smaller but still on the average to big size. they have a great strap system for carrying fullface and xc lids, pad storage straps, stash pockets etc etc. all the essentials covered for shuttles, hike-ups and enduro adventures. ive gone down a few times on mine and it has held up where a jersey wouldnt. they get my vote for sure.

http://dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/

RaID

Turbo Monkey
ive had numerous crashes with lower quality hydration systems with no issues in durability or bladders bursting and they were cheap systems.

Now im running camelbak gear and it is of much higher quality and i wouldnt expect any problems from general crashes.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
My Camelbak has found itself doubling as spine protection on more than one occasion and I haven't had any problems. It's a 3L model and the only things that have broken are the snaps on the chest straps, no biggie.
I have the Blowfish and it has the perfect amount of space for your wallet/phone, tools, a pump, a spare tube or two, and more. And as the name suggests, you can zip open an expandable section to make it even bigger.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've blown the bladder on my camelback landing on my back. But that was the only time I've ever heard of that happening.

I thought I'd also mention that lots of DHers don't ride with a camelback. They leave water at the bottom of the lift, and drink while they're in line. Could be something to consider. I usually do that too, its only in really high places (like Whistler) that I bring a camelback with me, and that's so that I have some tools in case of a mechanical... it would take half a day to walk back down if you flatted at the top...

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
I flipped my bike once and couldnt unclip. I landed VERY heavily on my back and I am sure the only thing that stopped me from suffering major injury was my Camelback. It survived the crash no problems.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The camelbacks seem to be buikt tougher (at least the outlaw series). But I used the same camelbak for about 4 years, it held up great. I only replaced it because I left an energy gel thingy in there and it exploded when I fell. :'(. The pack was great though, showed almost no signs of serious wear even after riding resorts across the country and on 2 continents.