Quantcast

CamelBak

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You've probably seen a MILLION CamelBak threads. Well here's another. (TOO BAD!) :D

Anyone own a HAWG? What do you think of it? I am thinking of buying one tomorrow (with Grandma's money). I own a MULE, but a HAWG is roomier and we can pack picnic food in it for those epic five hour rides in the woods.

Attachments

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I too own the Mule and have had a hard time toting enough food on day long rides. I have to strap stuff all over it. So, my advice is...buy it!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I also have a Mule, and like it. That Hawg though would be nice for longer rides. You might actually have room for some extra clothing and stuff.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Squeak
I also have a Mule, and like it. That Hawg though would be nice for longer rides. You might actually have room for some extra clothing and stuff.
Exactly. Clothing and food. Eastern Mountain Sports has the HAWG for $90 (I think), plus our local EMS is having a "Club Day" tomorrow. Since my wife is a member of a bike association, we get 20% off any purchase. $72 for a HAWG ain't bad.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I am thinking of buying one tomorrow (with Grandma's money
It's not nice to be taking grandma's money, she hid it in the cookie jar for a reason. ;)

MTBikerchick says: "Hey, I though Baboon was taking me out to dinner with that money!"

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I made up a saying: "A half empty big bag carries way better than an overstuffed little one, and the big one doesn't weigh that much more" You just have to watch that you don't bring the kitchen sink just because you have the room. Personally I have never been impressed with the quality of Camelback bags, but their bladders are the best. Deuter make some awesome looking packs. And their well priced up here.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

can't speak with any intelligence about the HAWG, but I do ride with a bike- specific rucksack (from Jack Wolfskin - the Maverick model http://www.wolfskin.de/) and can't figure out how I survived without it. Go for the HAWG, esp. if you can get it for cheap.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:thumb: I have an older HAWG that I've ridden with for three seasons now, and I love it. the only problem I have with it is actually the fact that I would like a bit more space! When I switched to a ful sus rig I realized I could no longer single speed out of a broken deraileur situation, so the bag fills and fills...still the laundry list of what it can fit in the thing is pretty crazy. i figure it comes in around 20-25lbs on the average ride. Tis but a feather!
Later.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by shocktower
The camel back guy`s make a model called the blow fish it is between the hawg and the mule 1020 sq inches of stuff

Hmmm, i'll have to look at 'em. Although this brings up what has become a sensitive popint for me. In "that other" site, there was a most interesting thread about CamelBack's support of the Sierra Club, and their role in keeping MTBers out of the woods. It really made me think about whether or not I would buy another of the CB product line...I am still trying to gather facts, so as not to make a knee-jerk descicion and buy an inferior product. It is hard to get in and out of the stupid cycle of boycotts and corporate support. I usually do not even go in for it, except this involves access to land that my tax dollars help support, as well as labeling me and my passion as something completely incorrect. Forgive this dirt loving monkey for he rambles! This is just a fresh topic in my thoughts right now, and I guess I am looking for any other feedback on the issue....:think:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I bought the Hawg!!! $80 after the discount. Not a bad price. It's the same one as the picture in this thread (same color too).

Now we've got three CamelBak's between the two of us.

Thiking about buying one of the small ones now.........

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I have both the mule and the hawg.
I like the mule because it's got the 100 oz. reservoir and still has enough room to put a few little things in. Not too heavy/bulky.
But I'm totally pleased with the new style hawg...tons of room, fantastic for the longer rides when you need to bring a few extras.

SkunkWorks

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
On Planet Earth
Any CamelBack is worth the money. If you have the whole line of them your Ok in my book. I went a long time without one until I scammed a Rogue off my freind for 20 bucks(It was basically brand new,he bought it but never used it). I don't see how I ever managed without it. If a newbie rider asked me what the best thing he could buy for his money was, I'd say a camelbak hands down.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
The TransAlp. (They do make a larger one, but not for cycling.)

I just bought one a couple of months ago after getting of tired of putting my tiny, old (and no-longer-available) CamelBak Pakster in a regular backpack, along with all my work clothes, for my after-work rides. The TransAlp is great for commuting! My only quibble is the number of pockets. I'd rather just have one main, large pocket rather than all those dividers. I found it online for $100 invcuding shipping, but it's usually listed at $140.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
C'mon people, work with me!

It's the bladder inside this UNBOTTLE but it comes inside the rogue and others too.

we saw it in store yesterday but couldn't get it out of the pack

By the look of it I'd say it was built in:)

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
and I love it.....Went from a Blowfish to this. Needed someting big enough to put the video camera in. The HAWG is definately big enough. Yeah it is a little heavier than the Mule...but the shoulder straps are larger and better padded. Also, there is a large padded section that lays against your back. I find it to be way more comfortable than the blowfish. I can fit both sets of pads in the large cargo pocket....Don't know about the price, got it as a gift.....but it seems every one is selling it from 80.00-100.00

Buy one....you won't be dissappointed.

mtnbikej:D

G

gravity

i have the base model blackburn hydrapack..... its a cheap ripoff of the CBs but it does the job. has a small pocket for tools and a pump. i dont need food for a day trip (i can survive on my belly flab for 36 days and still goin strong :D) but the water is totally necessary.