Quantcast

Camelbak's for women or men specific?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey gals :)

I was thinking about getting my girlfriend a camelbak and she currently has a hydration pack but it doesn't hold anything other than the water pack. I looked into some of the camelback lines and I'm stuck. I currently have the mule and while it's great for me and my gear/use she'd like something with a little more room to put her wallet/keys/phone in the back + a light sweatshirt or something as well. Maybe even possibly some food if it fit.

I know that camelbak makes men's packs and now makes women's packs. She is short (5'3) so a giant pack will just carry her down. I have yet to have her try mine on to see if it fits her frame well enough for me to just get her a general one OR if she really does need that "womens specific" one.

I was just wondering of of you guys for riding or hiking which one's you use and how do you like the fit and such? I know the size she wants is larger than my mule, so something in the 800-1000 cubic inches for space. She'll use it more for hiking, some cycling. I checked out the HAWG and the womens specific ISIS packs but dunno which one would really "fit" her better. I guess I could always take her to try them on but that would defeat the purpose of a surprise :)

Please let me know when you get a chance,
Chris

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I have a HAWG and a Blowfish...I'm 5'7" and they fit great. I've been using the Blowfish more...It holds necessary tools and ean xtra tube and Power Bars....The HAWG is better for storing gear and that sweatshirt.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
there are some proportional differenences in strap placement and the shape of the bag. This can be important if there are boobage issues.

Also, the wsd packs are limited in bladder option sizes.

gg

Hey there. I work at a shop that carried camelbak and here is my 2 cents. The womens packs like geargrrl stated have strap differences to fit a smaller shoulder width and to accomidate for some boobage (HAHA great word!!!). Now I have a Mule and I love it. It hold a pump, tube, my head lamp, glasses, tool, wallet, keys, phone, and some papers. Now I also have strapped to it 25 feet of rope, 2 carbiners, an I carry a light jacket for rain or weather issues. Oh and my water. If I wanted to I could fit a pair of shorts, a shirt and a lunch if I wanted to. With everything I carry I dont feel like it weighs me down too too much. Now give or take it is maybe an extra 10 bs but its work it since I can carry so much.
Camelback makes the majic, and some others but the only way you will know is if she tries it on. Now the womens specific camelbaks like I said before are for more narrower busty people, and they come in cuter colors (more girlie colors I should say). So If she has narrow shoulders and is busty I would suggest the Magic or ISIS. If not, let her try out your Mule for the day and see if that fits her just the same. The choice and decision may all come down to color. hehe.

taaadaaaaa.... hope this helps, and let us know how everything turns out

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey thanks for the help!

She is busty, but doesn't really have narrow shoulders (well narrower than mine per say, but not tiny frame narrow). My Mule barley fits my frame, if I lost some weight it'd fit better but as is it fits :)

I know she doesn't care too much about color, more about function. My mule I carry everything I need but for her it's more like keys/wallet, her sweatshirt (not a full one, but like a exercise jacket) and whatever else (camera, glass case etc...). I thought the Hawg had enough room but I'll have to take her down to the bike store where they have a wall of these and let her pick and choose.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I have a Blowfish. I've never tried a women's camelbak because they're always 70oz models. And I do have boobage issues with the men's ones, but i just leave the chest strap undone and tighten the shoulder straps and it stays put.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
With the boobage issues---the factory placement of the camelback straps is bad but you can move the placement of the chest straps up or down. I moved mine (Blowfish) to one extreme and loosened the strap about as far as it would go. Now I can close the chest strap without any problems/irritation. It's not really a secure strap but at least it's not flopping around.

That said, I wouldn't give up my 100oz "male specific" design for a 70oz WSD.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I use a Hydrapak (it's a light blue one) and it fits like a glove and comes in 3 different sizes....I actually have all 3. One comes with a 70oz bladder, but my 100 oz fits too. The other two use 100oz bladders and can hold quite a bit. The largest is big enough that I took it on a 700 mile snowmobile trip (I had a tube insulator) and was able to carry a change of clothes, food (dinner for 2 in fact) and my flask. It wasn't heavy either. I will see if I can dig up a pic of the ones I have.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I'm 5'11".......... without boobs.......... so I don't have to worry.
I have two different camelbacks... one with only one pocket (good for shorter trips and running long miles), and one that's like a backpack (excellent for day hikes).

I have a women's specific camelback (the charm). It's fine for a short trip but doesn't hold a lot of either water or gear, but it's all I need for now.

I don't wear"girlie" colors, so it was hard to find something that wasn't pink or pale blue. I have serious boobage issues (thought i was the only one who used that word lol) and I'm only 5'2", so a women's specific pack is a much better fit for me.

I would suggest the "surprise" be that you take her somewhere where there's a lot to choose from and let her select her own.....and it adds to the gift that you get to spend the time together.