Quantcast

CamelBaks?

WinkWink

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Pittsburgh Area, PA
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the forum and I just thought I'd kick off my membership with a basic post... ;)

My BF and I are picking up trail riding again and we recently bought some camelbaks.

Just wondering if anyone else uses them and whether or not you like 'em and any advice or any tips about biking with them you might have to share.

i just bought the Women's L.U.X.E. and he picked up the Lobo at a really great price.
Both hold 100oz of water.

Cant wait until they come in!!!

Lots of us use 'em.

Rinse bladder (incl. hose) with water three times after each use to avoid crud growth. On long rides,carrying a spare bite valve is not a bad idea.

I have three bladders and rotate 'em, als helps to forestall crud growth.

Welcome to the :monkey:!

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Love both of mine. After rinsing you can throw them in the freezer as well to stop that nasty growth mentioned above.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I throw my Mule in the fridge when not in use to avoid bacteria growth, but the cold makes it harder to unscrew the lid.

I prefer the fold open bag on my old Hydrapak.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've been rinsing mine out then putting in a cup or so of water and about a teaspoon of bleach, I hold the bladder up high and squeeze the bite valve to let a little bit of the chlorinated water fill the hose then store it flat in the basement with the rest of my gear lately. It's gotten rid of the wierd taste and the slime in the hose and it is pretty effective even when you forget and let the water sit for a few days before rinsing it out.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
May I recommend the cleaning kit. Drying it properly and rinsing before and after every use has kept all my camelbak bladders fresh for years. Occasional cleanings with alittle bleach and hot water is great before drying and storing. Rising with salt and hot water before use makes sure you're not sucking down anything too toxic.

Y

yadadada

I have 3 and am looking into a 4th. I have a 3 yr old mule, a hydrobak and a Northface Bullhead. I use the hydrobak for running, and the other two for biking. I've been looking into the HAWG for biking/hiking since it hold more stuff than the mule, and is better for longer periods of time. They are great.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Another plus, if you don't attach a pouch to the bottom of your seat (because I certainly do not), they are great for throwing allen wrenches, chain repair kit, etc. in so you are always covered if something minor goes wrong.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
one piece of advice: never ever put anything other than water in there, or it will never be the same.

I use a Hydrapak just because it's easier to open and close. I'm not as fond of their bite-valve however, so I swapped it with one from an old Camelbak.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What a bunch of sallies. Put what ever you want in a camelback, just rinse when you are done. If you forget just rinse with some peroxide or very dilute bleach to kill anything growing.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm lazy. I just hang mine on a hook in the kitchen when I'm done riding. Drain and fill 'er up right before I ride. Never had a problem unless I forget to rinse it out after putting some gatorade in it then bleach and hot water.

Beer and wine might not be a good idea.

son of simon

Chimp
Jul 30, 2007
I leave the remaining water in my bladder until the next time I use it. Then I just rinse it out with water. I have yet to have anything grow in it. In fact they're made out of a material that shouldn't allow anything to grow in there.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
They're great at protecting your spine when you crash :D
you know, that is a true statement. I had one "get off" where I did a full frontal flip and landed on my back in rocks. :huh:

That full camelback (the basic "classic" one) saved my arse (OK well back) that day from some pain.

Some people put their bladder in the freezer to stop growth between uses.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Beer and wine might not be a good idea.
Again....so true.

A carbonated beverage is a bad idea in a camelback. College keg party story for me....

anyway closed/sealed system and carbonated beverage leaves you with a loaded gun in the form of a bit valve. Oh and lots of foam *yuck* :)

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Between The wife and I we have 9 camelbaks and love then all, use them from riding to hiking to running,plus I had uncle sam give me 2 of them.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I love Camelbaks. Not only has the Army given me about 5 of them (They all broke), but I also love how specialized they come.

I have a kid one, when I just want to bring water.

I have a ski one for when I hit the slopes. It carries my skies, water, and some gear and also has in insulated drinking tube.

I plan on getting a Havoc to use for biking.

What was the question again?? :biggrin:

JustBike

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
cali
camel baks are great for long rides.. I find myself riding slower if I have a 3L camelbak on a 12mile short ride VS. water bottle in the back and sipping it.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
My wife and I have been using camelbacks pretty much since they came out (after that first year I spent telling everyone they were stupid and to just use a bottle.)

I never clean mine. I only put water in there and have never noticed any 'growth'. Been doing that for years. Never had a problem.

Currently, I ride with a MULE or use a transalp if filming video.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My wife and I have been using camelbacks pretty much since they came out (after that first year I spent telling everyone they were stupid and to just use a bottle.)

I never clean mine. I only put water in there and have never noticed any 'growth'. Been doing that for years. Never had a problem.

Currently, I ride with a MULE or use a transalp if filming video.
Never clean mine either, and if I'm in a hurry I'll just drink whatever week old water is in it.

A couple weeks ago I was riding with somebody and mentioned that the water was two or three weeks old, and he started laughing and telling me how I'd be sick by the end of the ride. Then he took a big gulp from his freshly washed bottle and got a mouthful of soapy dish detergent water. Oops.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
Washing camelbacks is unneccessary unless you are letting it sit 2 weeks without using it. As long as you are filling and refilling it a few times a week (also the number of times you should be on your bike a week) it is fine. I have had mine for 2 years and it has never been cleaned and it is still as bacteria free and fresh as the day i bought it.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Actually, a little trick is to pour a little bit of Listerine in it and let it sit overnight (Army trick). This will kill anything in it and give it a nice minty taste. However, make sure you wash it out really good, because you aren’t supposed to drink it. Might make you sick, but it is a quick clean!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm pretty good about rinsing and drying mine at least once a week. Especially after long training rides (when I use a diluted mix of cytomax)

I have an old camelbak bladder that I use just for the beach. I fill it with anti-bacterial fluid (aka vodka) and covertly dispense it into my friends beverages.