Quantcast

Camera Armor

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
When you folks head out for a ride and put your expensive, fragile camera in your pack, how do you protect it? Wrap it in a t-shirt? Pray to the photo gods? Trust yourself not to wreck?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
huh, looks like the old posts on this topic have been deleted. i use a camelbak transalp, and put my camera body and lenses in appropriately sized packs from kinesis: www.kinesisgear.com . the E330 Twin Lens Pack is perfect for a small (20D-sized, not 1D sized) body with medium lens attached (shorter than 100mm or so)

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Toshi said:
huh, looks like the old posts on this topic have been deleted. i use a camelbak transalp, and put my camera body and lenses in appropriately sized packs from kinesis: www.kinesisgear.com . the E330 Twin Lens Pack is perfect for a small (20D-sized, not 1D sized) body with medium lens attached (shorter than 100mm or so)

I was a little surprised not to find any post on here.

It looks like the Kinesis is soft. Do you worry about landing on your back? I know I don't worry about it when i'm doing trail riding. But when I'm say, freeriding or even snowboarding, I am too worried about crushing my camera.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I travel in ghetto style. Tuperware and Bubble Wrap. Nice and light.
Visit the local dept store/goodwill/mom's kitchen and find a plastic tub that fits your camara, then tape/glue bubble wrap on all the inside surfaces [lid too].
Camara safety for free. :thumb:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
66 said:
I was a little surprised not to find any post on here.

It looks like the Kinesis is soft. Do you worry about landing on your back? I know I don't worry about it when i'm doing trail riding. But when I'm say, freeriding or even snowboarding, I am too worried about crushing my camera.
i do worry a bit about landing on my back, especially after hearing BostonBullit's crotchety old tale about landing on a pump-bellows large format lens. or a 70-200/2.8, one of the two :D . so i have to make a conscious choice whether i'm going to push myself that day, or ride with the camera.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
I didn't hear about that - oops!! :(
i was just making fun of him for being old :D . it was a 70-200 tho, or 80-200 i guess since he's a nikon guy with their weird ranges heh

i am actually in the process of setting up a helmet cam. my vid camera is damn small (2x4x4 inches) so i found a small pelican case that holds it perfectly. basically pelican cases are cases that come from the dive industry i think, or somewhere. but they are waterproof to about 3 feet and are indestructable. you break it they replace it. it is also a hard case. that way if i land on my back hopefully all is good. but still gonna ride a little easier when i have it on.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I use an ammo can that I lined with egg-crate foam for my GL1, the camera fits perect and I just drilled a hole for the cord. The ammo can fits well into my Camelback Transalp and I hardly notice it's there. You could also just use a Lowepro or Dakine camera specific backpack and then maybe wrap the camera up even more. Also Pelican cases are really strong and come in all sizes but they are expensive.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
I got a shockproof camera and it's even waterproof till 5mters under water, And will float if emerged in to water.

If i am taking it with me, i put it in my camelback ontop of the reservoir.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I've got a cheapo 2.1mp HP camera that I use for rides. I just stuff it in any open pocket in my pack, and not worry too mucha bout it. If I'm going with the SLR I'll probably not ride much at that time.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Kornphlake said:
we package our $5000 video cameras and lights with nothing less than Underwater Kenetics cases:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/ProductDisplay_prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=5072.htm

I don't know if that makes them better than pelican cases but hey, I'll give our vendor a plug.
Pelican makes smaller line of cases than Underwater Kenetics does......other than that they're both probably going to protect your goods.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Acadian said:
how can you tell exactly what size you need? get just a tad bigger than the dimension of your camera?

Go to Pelican's site and it'll show interior dimensions.......

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I just throw mine in my camelbak and forget about it, I wouldn't if I had a REALLY nice camera, but Its a risk I'm willing to take to bring home pictures from the middle of nowhere. If I'm just sessioning one spot I take my camelbak off. I've crashed with the camera many times, never had any problems.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
T-Pirate said:
I've crashed with the camera many times, never had any problems.
That's because your sweet mullet was between the ground and the camelpak.....it's like a big protective layer :)