Quantcast

camera bag recommendations

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the Burton Zoom sounded like everyone's favorite (or at least two people) but that's been discontinued and they didn't seem to make any replacement. what is a good bag, and why?

this is *not* for riding, just walking around and carrying crap. ease of access would be nice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am a fan of lowepro bags. I have a waist bag, belt system, large backpack and small backpack from them, as well as a ton of accessories for both systems.

edit; I should probably list what I have for ya to look at.

computrekker for some of my gear + laptop.
phototrekker pro for lugging all of my crap to events. This bag is HUGE.
Stealth reporter 300 for working events
Deluxe belt system with various lens canister (reporter bag slides onto it as well).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend said:
I am a fan of lowepro bags. I have a waist bag, belt system, large backpack and small backpack from them, as well as a ton of accessories for both systems.
at the local cam shop they showed me the Lowepro bags and another bag by Naneu pro called the K2

I ended up buying it... I showed it to Manhattanprjkt, and he thought it was pretty sweet, and although a different format then the Burton bag, it was definitely a nice bag.

one nice feature is it has a suspension system to keep it off of your back, and allows for air circulation so your back doesn't overheat!!! the shoulder pads are super comfy too!!!

look on Froogle here

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
brungeman said:
at the local cam shop they showed me the Lowepro bags and another bag by Naneu pro called the K2

I ended up buying it... I showed it to Manhattanprjkt, and he thought it was pretty sweet, and although a different format then the Burton bag, it was definitely a nice bag.

one nice feature is it has a suspension system to keep it off of your back, and allows for air circulation so your back doesn't overheat!!! the shoulder pads are super comfy too!!!

look on Froogle here
Interesting bag, although I am not a fan of toploading backpacks. I am a HUGE fan of the lowepro all weather system as well. I shoot alot in the rain, snow, dust etc.

It really depends on how much you have to carry. Narlus, how much crap do you have?

The Stealth reporter + canisters is about as small as I can go when shooting most events (2 extra lenses, 2 bodies, 6 cards, extra humongous 1 series batteries as well as bp511s etc).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Transcend said:
It really depends on how much you have to carry. Narlus, how much crap do you have?
i have a lot of crap; you should see my record collection. :D

for camera stuff, not that much although now but i do see myself getting more (currently just a body, external flash and two lenses). probably won't go w /a battery grip, but i can definitely see a long lens purchase at some point, and maybe a small tripod too, and perhaps a slave flash unit.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend said:
Interesting bag, although I am not a fan of toploading backpacks. I am a HUGE fan of the lowepro all weather system as well. I shoot alot in the rain, snow, dust etc.
this bag is kinda weird... it has all of your cammera gear in the bottom of the bag, and the top is for your day gear. the thing unzips at the middle, and breaks in half to reaveal your gear in compartments, kinda like a lot of the waistbelt paks but with the top part for your extra stuff... it has an external pocket, and straps for your tripod.

Transcend, I went in intent on buying the lowepro bag cause I couldn't get the Burton. but the guy talked me into this bag because of the features, and it was over 60 bucks cheaper... I couldn't beat it... I respect Manhattanprjkt's oppinion, and when he said he thought it was a pretty nice bag I thought:thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
I highly recomend anything from Think Thank (www.thinktankphoto.com) Their modular waist belt systen is great, Their backpacks may be a little big for your needs, but they are the best bags I've ever used!
Think tank stuff is great, only it costs WAY WAY more then it should.

You can get the lowerpro deluxe belt for $30, and the canisters for about $10 (i paid $19 for the one that fits a 300 2.8).

You also have the choice of alot more accessories, and it is easier to find lowepro stuff (accessories, modular stuff etc).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
i have a lot of crap; you should see my record collection. :D

for camera stuff, not that much although now but i do see myself getting more (currently just a body, external flash and two lenses). probably won't go w /a battery grip, but i can definitely see a long lens purchase at some point, and maybe a small tripod too, and perhaps a slave flash unit.
Are you looking for a backpack, belt pack, sling pack etc?

I personally recommend the stealth reporter with the deluxe belt sizewise. I can fit 4 lenses + 1 pro body in it, or a variation thereof.

It has an AW system, top access zip, shoulder strap (i use it on my belt), external waterproof pockets for cards, smaller batts (bp511 sized) etc. It is a great bag. I can post some pics if you want, i have been meaning to shoot that stuff anyways.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DNA said:
I'm another one for the all weather Lowe Pros.
Yeah I think I just picked up one of those.

It holds my 35mm SLR my long lense and a flash easily in the pouch with foam deviders, and then it has a decent front pocket. There is one of them nylon type tent cover that you can pull out if it is raining and pullit over the bag.

:think: I think it is a LowPro. :confused:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
the Burton Zoom sounded like everyone's favorite (or at least two people) but that's been discontinued and they didn't seem to make any replacement. what is a good bag, and why?

this is *not* for riding, just walking around and carrying crap. ease of access would be nice.
It is a shame this was discontinued but they are not really known for making that type of equipment (it is somewhat of a niche'). From what I understand Burton is still producing it for allot of pro guys that shoot in the back country. I bought this pack based on some heavy recommendations from other photog guys and couldn’t want more from a bag. It is designed for riding (big comfy shoulder straps and chest belts), but that translates to comfort when walking around.

As far as ease of access, its a really cool design, its a large padded surface that opens from the back with clear waterproof pockets on it for memory and those types of items...The camera area is great, I currently stash.

3 lenses (1 semi long piece of glass, 1 fisheye, and a short lens)
Big Flash
Batteries
Body...
There is plenty of room left.

All said and done i would try and find one of these somewhere it is a gem :thumb:

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I use the mini trekker AW, I dont know what you have, but this fits all my stuff. It is a little small if you have a lot of stuff, but I love this bag!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I rock a burton zoom bag and love it. Works great for boarding and riding. It's not discontinued adn still on the burton site. I got it from ebags.com with some visa offer for like 100 bux.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Transcend said:
Think tank stuff is great, only it costs WAY WAY more then it should.

You can get the lowerpro deluxe belt for $30, and the canisters for about $10 (i paid $19 for the one that fits a 300 2.8).

You also have the choice of alot more accessories, and it is easier to find lowepro stuff (accessories, modular stuff etc).
I tend to destroy bags, been through two Tamracs, a Domke, and a Lowpro since about this time last year. I have my digital and med. format gear with me at all times, with a decent selection of strobes, hence so many bags. So yes it's expensive, but it hold up. The belt system holds my gear perfectly and keeps it safe. The only better way to cary things is Pelican cases. As far as accessories it holds all that I need.

On a side note, who puts a 300 2.8 on their belt pack? that thing is way to big to be comfortable in your hip!

:blah:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mobius said:
I rock a burton zoom bag and love it. Works great for boarding and riding. It's not discontinued adn still on the burton site. I got it from ebags.com with some visa offer for like 100 bux.

Really!?! I thought i had heard it was discontinued. That's awesome though!

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
A brand overlooked so far is Ogio.

I got the Ty Video Pack for Xmas from the girlfriend (what a gal huh?) and I'm in love with it. I can fit my GL2, 2 lenses, my other small 3 chip camera, batteries, tapes, and I STILL have room for other stuff. Great tripod strap system with big buckles, sternum strap, waist strap, and even a padded slot in the front for a 15" laptop.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Gunner said:
A brand overlooked so far is Ogio.

I got the Ty Video Pack for Xmas from the girlfriend (what a gal huh?) and I'm in love with it. I can fit my GL2, 2 lenses, my other small 3 chip camera, batteries, tapes, and I STILL have room for other stuff. Great tripod strap system with big buckles, sternum strap, waist strap, and even a padded slot in the front for a 15" laptop.

a friend I skate with who worked at a luggage store told me to check them out I liked the bag for cam stuff but not much room for anything else... and the straps just didn't feel that comfy to me!!!
they do have a model for still camera work and one for video though and that is nice to have a bag specifically designed for the task!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Save yourself the $ and get one of these. I know how conservative you are with $.

The secret is if you go to a store when you buy the kids some new dipers ask them to place it in a bag, and boom.........You got your self a camera case:p ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mobius said:
the link i get from ebags.com is

No Products Found
Your search for "burton zoom" returned no results.

there was an auction @ ebay for a used one which went for $81 last night, plus whatever shipping from canada would be.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
Save yourself the $ and get one of these. I know how conservative you are with $.
maybe you should try that. then you can't complain about having no money while you skipper yr boat from yr 2nd home on Lake Tahoe, after taking a break from renovating your new 1.2MM Bay Area home. :p

Brian HCM#1 said:
The secret is if you go to a store when you buy the kids some new dipers ask them to place it in a bag, and boom.........You got your self a camera case:p ;)
otis has been out of diapers for about a year now. what a great milestone to achieve. :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
maybe you should try that. then you can't complain about having no money while you skipper yr boat from yr 2nd home on Lake Tahoe, after taking a break from renovating your new 1.2MM Bay Area home. :p

otis has been out of diapers for about a year now. what a great milestone to achieve. :thumb:
Maybe your right, however I now have no money to even buy anything to place in that bag:dead:

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Mike B. said:
I'm due for something new too, anyone using the Crumpler or f/64 bags? I've been looking at the Crumpler 5 and 6 Million Dollar homes.
I'm using the Crumpler Seedy-3 with the Bunion insert. I love the setup. I can fit a ton of gear in it and it's waterproof. The bonus is that you can take out the insert and use it as a messenger bag.

Attachments

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Badmunkey said:
I'm using the Crumpler Seedy-3 with the Bunion insert. I love the setup. I can fit a ton of gear in it and it's waterproof. The bonus is that you can take out the insert and use it as a messenger bag.
Not a bad option. By the way, cambags.com has photos of a lot of the bags loaded for reference.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
merrrrjig said:
I use the mini trekker AW, I dont know what you have, but this fits all my stuff. It is a little small if you have a lot of stuff, but I love this bag!
this looks like a contender.

btw, there's a burton zoom on ebay now (used, mind you) which has two more days left on auction and is at $155. yikes!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
I tend to destroy bags, been through two Tamracs, a Domke, and a Lowpro since about this time last year. I have my digital and med. format gear with me at all times, with a decent selection of strobes, hence so many bags. So yes it's expensive, but it hold up. The belt system holds my gear perfectly and keeps it safe. The only better way to cary things is Pelican cases. As far as accessories it holds all that I need.

On a side note, who puts a 300 2.8 on their belt pack? that thing is way to big to be comfortable in your hip!

:blah:
The beltpack canister has a shoudler strap. :help: