Quantcast

Camera body halps

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My 20D looks to have died. The dreaded Error 99 HIV has struck.

Do I:

A) Go into massive amounts of debt right now and buy a 5D

B) Go into massive amounts of debt later for a 5D after the 5D Mk2 comes out

C) Go into not-so-massive amounts of debt and buy a 40D

D) Switch to Nikon...probably with a D300.

I'm buying a new body only for warranty purposes, so a used body isn't really an option at this point. I shoot portraits, landscapes, cars, architecture, and weddings. Nikon seems to have their **** more together at this point, but a 5D seems the best bang for the buck right now, and the IQ of the 5D blows away the D300 IMHO. However, the 5D is on the replacement horizon, and buying one now seems like it would be a poor choice ahead of price breaks from Canon USA.

Thoughts?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would get a 5D. just because there's a rumor of a new body, it doesn't change the performance of the existing cameras. you can get a new body for $1800 now.

did you get a repair estimate for the 20D? i would think it'll be around $200.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're going into debt over a new camera body, I don't really think that's the wisest time to switch systems.

Even if the 5DmkII comes out, you won't see new 5D prices drop much further. The bottom will fall out of the used market, but I seriously doubt you'll see much in the way of incentives offered from Canon on new bodies.

Unless there's something that Canon is not providing to you, going into debt over a camera body and then going into further debt swapping lenses just doesn't seem very smart.

Either buy a 5D now or go cheap and limp along with a repaired 20D until the mkII comes out.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you're going into debt over a new camera body, I don't really think that's the wisest time to switch systems.

Even if the 5DmkII comes out, you won't see new 5D prices drop much further. The bottom will fall out of the used market, but I seriously doubt you'll see much in the way of incentives offered from Canon on new bodies.

Unless there's something that Canon is not providing to you, going into debt over a camera body and then going into further debt swapping lenses just doesn't seem very smart.

Either buy a 5D now or go cheap and limp along with a repaired 20D until the mkII comes out.
I called Canon and they said the repair would probably be between $300-500.

:(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I called Canon and they said the repair would probably be between $300-500.

:(
Sell the rest of your Canon kit to the frothers on POTN. Get a D300 and some REAL strobes. (SB800 or 900).

Don't look back.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I paid about $160 CPS pricing (250 regular) 3 times to replace shutters replaced on 1dmk2 and 10d. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Also, nice drums. Mine are old and beat, but I suck.

The 300 is an amazing piece of camera, but the d700 would get my love right now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
:stupid:

I would literally fvck that camera. Seriously.
i always figured you'd be more of a 'crop body'.... :D

yeah, if i could get full replacement value for all my gear i've currently got, i'd trade it for a D700 setup (assuming it's performance is actually as good as everyone thinks).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I would love to have a D700, but $3k isn't in the cards :(

I think I may stick it out until a 5D Mk2 is released and see what happens...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's happened w/ me....i've gotten very sporadic Err 99 codes w/ my 30D, and more serious ones w/ the 5D which made me send it in. they sent it back w/ some stuff done, but they think it might be a lens/body problem. do you get the same error w/ different lenses?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I had an error99 problem on my 30D with a lower end Promaster lens. No problems with any of my other lenses. The manual says it is a communication error between the body and the lens.

The Promaster lens has now been relegated to tubes duty.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
99 is a catch all error from canon. Dirty contacts, loose lens, broken shutter etc. All come up at error 99. 99% of the time is is related to the lens/camera contacts. You can use a pencil eraser on them and they go away m usually. ****ty lenses get it too as they normally don't fit as snugly as they should.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
99 is a catch all error from canon. Dirty contacts, loose lens, broken shutter etc. All come up at error 99. 99% of the time is is related to the lens/camera contacts. You can use a pencil eraser on them and they go away m usually. ****ty lenses get it too as they normally don't fit as snugly as they should.
I had contact issues once and an eraser resolved it the first time around, this seems unrelated to everything I can do to the body, though.