Quantcast

Camera equipment expensive, ebay good. (pic heavy)

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm getting a Nikon D70S for xmas since my old camera setup was jacked in Vancouver 2 summers ago while i was riding Seymour. In the past 2 days i've bought the following.

My gift

What ive bought on ebay

(not my equipment but a inside view of bag)

I pretty much got a lot of money and saved my past few paychecks to buy all this stuff at once. I can't wait till race season. Ebay saved me a good 500-600 bucks and most of this stuff is in perfect shape.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
wow..very nice. my next big purchase will more than likely be a d70. i'm just tired of the crappy quality of my soccer mom point/shoot camera. if you don't mind telling.....how much is all that gear combined..roughly?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Well the lens is a discontinued lens but the quality is a lot better then the current lens in its range.

Lens ran me 125 on ebay, bag 100, transmitters 275 (retail 400), hotshoe 10 bux, flash 50 bux (100 retail). The kit i think runs 1100 but that was a gift.

A good place to read about the d70, lenses and such is here
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm#cameras
He has real good reviews from a regular D70 user and thats where i found the recommendation for the telephoto i bought.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whatever you do, read ken rockwell's site with a serious grain of salt. that guy is as bad as guy kawasaki used to be with mac. He's a nutter, and has very little in the way of actual review/comparison tests about any product.

nice purchases - you will be stoked with the wizards. they are the single most useful thing you can own as a photographer.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Transcend said:
Whatever you do, read ken rockwell's site with a serious grain of salt. that guy is as bad as guy kawasaki used to be with mac. He's a nutter, and has very little in the way of actual review/comparison tests about any product.

nice purchases - you will be stoked with the wizards. they are the single most useful thing you can own as a photographer.
Yeah i noticed he was a tad weird when he said he'd buy the 80-300 G type lens in a heartbeat which is crazy since the lens is horrible as hell.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
face said:
i so want to get one of the new d200's:drool: nice stuff by the way

Good luck, we got 2 of them in. I guess Nikon is sending them out in waves. The first guy on the list got one and I sold our demo today. 1700 body only really isnt bad taking into consideration that the focusing and metering matrix is almost identical to the D2X, not to mention the menu and 10.2 million pixles.

Good choice getting the D70s, the older D70 is, from what I hear, a piece of crap. I'm still a film guy, reluctant to surrender my darkroom, hasselblad, and bulk film loaders.

I suggest investing in a batter grip. It will allow you to pack more juice with 2 En-EL3s or you can put some rechargeable AAli batteries. Plus you get the professional feel of a vertical shutter release.