Quantcast

Camera Help

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I really want to start shooting some pictures, be it riding, cars, landscapes, whatever. You get my drift. I have a junky Nikon Coolpic that works decently, but I want a more advanced camera that's versatile and will actually be able to take motion shots.

I don't really have a price range because I have no idea what you have to spend to get a good camera. What are some suggestions for a good digi camera w/ some options so I can play around with settings (like f stop and stuff). What's the minimum I could spend? What do you think is a good camera that I won't grow out of so to speak?

Thanks for all your help!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Bicyclist said:
I have a junky Nikon Coolpic that works decently, but I want a more advanced camera that's versatile and will actually be able to take motion shots.
Have you considered taking a photography class?

If you know what you're doing, you can actually take "motion" shots with just about any camera.

(junky Coolpix 990)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
SLR or non?
I really don't know. I tried to look at some manufacturer's websites but the descriptions sounded like a foreign language to me. Are there any brands which are better than others?

As for the classes, my camera has a delay between when you press the button and when it takes a picture, making it nearly impossible to take action shots.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
And I plan on taking photography next year but I still need a new camera. Mine is really cheezy and cheap.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I took some photo classes in school . . . I used my dad's old Pentax SLR.

I was thinking about getting a small digicam until I started using my frends' cameras. Even the nice non-SLR digicams with lots of options are a pain to shoot with in some situations.

You can get a new or used film SLR camera for around $200. The Nikon D50 (nikon's entry DSLR) is $650 I think, with a lens. If I purchased a camera right now, it would be a SLR. They are more versatile / flexible than small cameras, even if they are bulky.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you really want an SLR, you can get used film stuff dirt cheap, and can produce beatiful shots with it. I took many photo courses while in school, and worked as a photographer.

I'll be honest, I didn't learn that much in class. I learned a lot in the darkroom and out shooting though. This is especially true after i got a digital SLR a few years ago and got back into it seriously.

You will learn a ton from just shooting and shooting and reading a book.

I recommend the National Geographic field guide. You can get it on alibris.com for like $3 if you look. It does a really good job covering the basics.

SLR means single lens reflex - ie: something with interchangeable lenses.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Single Lens Reflex. I think it refers to the fact that the film and the viewfinder share the same lens . . . some cameras have one lens that you look through and one lens that exposes the film.

SLRs dont do that annoying shutter lag thing :)

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Bicyclist said:
As for the classes, my camera has a delay between when you press the button and when it takes a picture, making it nearly impossible to take action shots.
It's only nearly impossible if you don't understand the tool that you're using.

With a point and shoot that has a decent amount of shutter lag (Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, 995, 5400 in my experience) you need to pre-focus in order to capture the action. See picture above.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's another thing that I hate about my current camera: you look through the view finder but the shot isn't what you're looking at.

It seems like finding a used digi SLR would be the hot ticket. I really don't want to spend $$$ developing film (although it may be nice to do it myself) and digi would allow me to experiment.

Would it be a better idea to buy an entry level camera and upgrade if I get serious or get a mid-high level camera so I won't have to upgrade for a while?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
justsomeguy said:
It's only nearly impossible if you don't understand the tool that you're using.

With a point and shoot that has a decent amount of shutter lag (Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, 995, 5400 in my experience) you need to pre-focus in order to capture the action. See picture above.
I have been pre-focusing. Even then it's a pain to catch a rider going 20 mph when there's a little lag to be accounted for.

One of my friends has a Canon SLR that takes a sequence of about 6 shots really quickly so you can capture action well. What cameras would come with that, and what's that feature called?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I think that you can do a lot with an entry level camera, especially if it is compatible with various lenses.

In my class I learned all about darkrooms and developing film etc. I feel like understanding how film cameras work is worthwhile because those basic principles still hold true.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Bicyclist said:
I have been pre-focusing. Even then it's a pain to catch a rider going 20 mph when there's a little lag to be accounted for.
Practice, practice, practice. It can be done.

One of my friends has a Canon SLR that takes a sequence of about 6 shots really quickly so you can capture action well. What cameras would come with that, and what's that feature called?[/QUOTE]

Even point and shoot cameras can do that. It's called "continuous" shooting on the Nikons.

I'm not a fan of machine gun shooting myself.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That continous thing is called burst, continous, motordrive etc depending on the particular jargon the brand likes to use. My 1dmk2 can do 8.5 frames per second for 45 frames in jpg mode, 20 in raw. I barely ever use more than 3 in a row. A 1dmk2 costs $4000usd.

I started with cheapo $50 used film SLRs. They are GREAT to learn on. Manual everything, auto nothing. Film was a killer tho, so when digi stuff became affordable i jumped on it. You can get a nice digi rebel of d50 pretty cheaply now and they are great cams to learn on as you can blast away and not have to pay for film. It's all about learning. Grab books, read online, shoot a ton.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I guess I'll stick w/ my Coolpix 3200 for mow and then jump up if I can justify it. I honestly don't really understand the thing still. There's all these pre-done settings that I don't like but I can't really change them.

Well thanks for your help guys, it sounds like practice is all it takes.