Quantcast

Camera People....WTF?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Alright, So I have some questions about camera stuff.

I was organizing the pictures I took today at the skate park and I ran across a type of file called CR2. There was only like 6 of them or so out of about 50. So why are these ones in this format? Is it because I shot them in manual mode? I have the basic rebel XT setup and I just started shooting raw so I am kinda confused.

Oh yea, My camera just stopped working today for about five minutes. I would turn off the power and the LCD was still up put on or off it wouldn't take any pictures. Then I took out and put the battery in and all was good. So should I be worried?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
CR2 files are RAW files. Your other files are jpegs, I assume?

Does the camera keep different settings for image quality for different shooting modes. I'd check that...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
CR2 files are RAW files. Your other files are jpegs, I assume?

Does the camera keep different settings for image quality for different shooting modes. I'd check that...
Yea, Now that I look at it, I guess with this body in the auto sport mode (Which I was shooting with today for most of the day) I don't have a choice to shoot in raw. Hmmm....

I still am worried about my camera freaking out on me now

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Don't use auto modes, it doesn't help teach you what the camera is doing. If you're shooting RAW, the goal is to have some control over the process, right? So why not take that control from the start and shoot in aperture or shutter priority? Easier than manual and you start seeing what the camera is doing.

I'm not completely suprised that auto sports mode has a built in setting for JPG. You can take a lot more frames of JPG than RAW before the camera buffer gets filled.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you'll also need a RAW utility to work on them...canon has it's own (zoombrowser) but i like Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). there are plenty of others too (bibble, rawshooter, breezebrowser, etc).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
canon has better ones, too. Canon Digital Photo Professional isn't half bad.

i use Adobe Lightroom for conversion myself...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
canon has better ones, too. Canon Digital Photo Professional isn't half bad.

i use Adobe Lightroom for conversion myself...

Still not a fan of lightroom myself. Now that I have my mac pro, aperture is actually useable. Still not a huge fan of it in general, but the galleries it makes are awesome. They have sold a lot of photos for me this year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
show me these galleries. i'm still wedded to iPhoto + BetterHTMLExport since i spent much time and sweat creating my own fancy templates, one as seen on the galleries off the front page of www.toshiclark.com , and the other as the daily junk at http://tjclark.ath.cx/

<-- off to craters of the moon natl monument now, gonna snap some pix

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
what's C1?
Capture one pro. Originally designed to work with phase one medium format digital backs.

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/ProSoftware/ProductOverview.aspx

Toshi: I can show you some galleries monday. I don't have anything online right now that I can make public. I use a super simple template that basically showcases the photos. every piece of info (IPTC, EXIF, final info) is available to show or hide for each photo depending on the client. (some design houses are pretty explicit about what they need).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Yea, Now that I look at it, I guess with this body in the auto sport mode (Which I was shooting with today for most of the day) I don't have a choice to shoot in raw. Hmmm....

I still am worried about my camera freaking out on me now

you can shoot RAW in burst mode so you dont have to use the auto settings..as or the freeze up my rebel XT has done it once but only once.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
you can shoot RAW in burst mode so you dont have to use the auto settings..as or the freeze up my rebel XT has done it once but only once.
Are you drunk again?

I shot about 300 pictures in RAW and realized that unless I'm doing something where every shot will really count it's pointless, it took for ever to adjust the levels, sharpen and convert, in the end all I was doing for 90% of the pictures was exactly what the camera's algorithms would have done. I shoot everything in JPEG, if a picture doesn't turn out as nice as I want that's too bad, I wouldn't have been able to do anything with it in film so I'm not any worse off.

I realize that some of you guys make money with your cameras so I guess it's worth the hassle of processing every photo but for the amature it seems more important to take the right picture to begin with than to try and bandaid it afterward.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The thing is we don't process every photo. I shot 2850 photos at worlds. I have processed about 25 for sales and 40 or so for my gallery.

The rest just go onto an external drive and get burned to DVDs and get databased. It makes a huge difference shooting in horrible conditions, but it sucks for touristey stuff. It only takes me about 20 seconds or so to adjust and output an image so I don't even bother switching to jpeg mode most of the time now as I usually forget to switch it back to RAW when the shots count.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Are you drunk again?

I shot about 300 pictures in RAW and realized that unless I'm doing something where every shot will really count it's pointless, it took for ever to adjust the levels, sharpen and convert, in the end all I was doing for 90% of the pictures was exactly what the camera's algorithms would have done. I shoot everything in JPEG, if a picture doesn't turn out as nice as I want that's too bad, I wouldn't have been able to do anything with it in film so I'm not any worse off.
agreed. i'll shoot RAW for gigs where the lighting is duff (and inconsistent), but for everyday stuff jpg makes more sense to me.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
assumed you found some booty via piratebay, yeaarrhh!

well, the site has the lite version for $70 and the pro for $120, so i am assuming the trial version has some limitations?

Yarg...I guess it does....

Crap, you know what? I completely forgot about that site you invited me to. Mostly cause I have no idea what I wm doing...so care to gimme a hint?