Quantcast

Camera questions

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Ok, I know what most of you are thinking, but I just want someone's opinion on a possible purchase. I know nothing about camera equipment, but I have a chance to buy some gear and I want to know if this is a good deal or not.
This equipment was owned by a professional photographer here in town who went through a divorce and was forced to unload some of his equipment at a pawn shop. I have known the owner of the shop for many years and actually went to school with his wife, so I know the stuff is legit.
Anyways, here's what he's got:
Canon EOS 10d body
Canon EOS Rebel body
Canon EOS 1 body
100-300 lens
24-70 lens
18-55 lens
Canon 380ex flash
a couple of memory cards, bag, several caps, and few other odds and ends.

He said I could have the whole lot for $800.00. Is this a fair price?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I'm no expert, but that deal seems pretty bananas. You sure this guy is legit?
Absolutely positive. Every item that a pawn shop takes in is checked through the Police dept. and they aren't allowed to put it up for sale until it is cleared. I have scored many deals at pawn shops over the years and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this stuff if it is a good deal.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Anyways, here's what he's got:
Canon EOS 10d body
Canon EOS Rebel body
Canon EOS 1 body
100-300 lens
24-70 lens
18-55 lens
Canon 380ex flash
a couple of memory cards, bag, several caps, and few other odds and ends.

He said I could have the whole lot for $800.00. Is this a fair price?
the best item by far in that list is the 24-70L lens...it retails for about a grand. the 18-55 is the typical kit lens and not worth much. the 10D digital body isn't bad, but it's 4 generations old now, and the 40D is a much better camera in a lot of ways. i don't know anything about the other cameras, as they are film, but 1 series are usually pro bodies, so i'm assuming it's a good one.

the 100-300 lens sounds like an older one; maybe the 100-400L replaced it?

the 380EX flash is also older; i've got the 420EX and it's kinda old at this point (but still works well, though there's no match to the 550/580 flash guns).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if it's the 1D, it's a 4MP camera, but was the top dog in the day. that said, it's ~5 years old, and other bodies are obviously better. still, i'm sure you could get excellent results out of it.

the original rebel body isn't that bad, but probably worth only $200 or so.

if you want to flog the stuff on ebay, you'd certainly make more than $800.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If it's a 1ds, it makes the package worth $800 almost all on it's own. I had a 380ex I sold for $125 in about 3 minutes online. The 24-70 is a great lens if it is the L version. Worth close to 800 on it's own.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Um if you don't buy this stuff tell me where it's at and I'll go buy it. The person selling this doesn't have a clue...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
The EOS 1 is the D model. He doesn't have a charger for it, so I can't test it, but he guarantees it to work. The other 2 are charged and seem to work perfectly.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Specs listed on that 10D here.. BTW, that alone is worth a bit more than $300 and that 24-70 lens is worth a bit too. I'd say go for it, you won't be dissatisfied.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK lets see rebel not worth much, maybe $200. 10d worth about $350 used right now, 1d worth about $800 used max.

No idea on those lenses. They are far from high end stuff though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, the 10D and rebel are both gripped, so that increases their value a bit.

i guess it all depends on what body you want to use (what sort of photography are you interested in?), and what lenses, and if you don't mind going the fleabay route to sell stuff.

you could certainly sell all of that stuff and make more than $800.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
In my experiences, honestly it's not worth it most of the time. I am the king of buying and reselling, but I never seem to make any money. :disgust:
Camera glass and strobes go for RIDICULOUS prices on ebay.

Making money on that stuff is a cakewalk if your ad is set up right and the item pics are good.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
The only reason I was considering buying this stuff was to sell and try to make a little money, but I wouldn't mind maybe keeping one to fool around with.