Quantcast

Camera setting question

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am writing a detective novel, and he has to shoot at night of people inside a home.

I picture the scene as he is shooting from about 10 to 20 feet away and inside the home it is well lit.

What's the correct aperture and shutter speed for shots without a flash?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tripod or No?
need fine detail from a document i/e low noise?
If you don't know, set it to "auto".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
w/ flash is the correct answer. w/o it, you'd have to have a very fast lens and high ISO, and depending on how many people you need to get in focus and where they are relative to each, could be impossible.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If I understand correctly, I think he's asking for the purposes of writing the novel, so I think the sky is the limit here.

sanjuro, I just metered my living room at 1/50th, f/2.8 and ISO 1600. A detective popping off shots with a flash just seems so... unrefined :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
If I understand correctly, I think he's asking for the purposes of writing the novel, so I think the sky is the limit here.

sanjuro, I just metered my living room at 1/50th, f/2.8 and ISO 1600. A detective popping off shots with a flash just seems so... unrefined :p
don't you ever watch CSI? they are always using flash.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I picture the scene as he is shooting from about 10 to 20 feet away and inside the home it is well lit.
ah, just noticed that. yeah, BV's metering should be ballpark, probably even stop down a bit since you can get a lower shutter speed w/ the shorter focal length.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ah, just noticed that. yeah, BV's metering should be ballpark, probably even stop down a bit since you can get a lower shutter speed w/ the shorter focal length.
What kind of dumbass detective novels do you read, where the detectives use a flash and wide angle lenses? :crazy:

:D

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Will the book have pictures?

I like picture books.

Me and my crayons.

Good luck in writing your book man!