Quantcast

Camera Woes

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Heres my trouble:

My Dad bought a new camera for himself a while back, its a 6 mega pixel Konica Minolta.

Anyways, ive been using it the past two days taking pics of whatnot in the city because my Dad hasnt really figured out the whole 'turn camera on deal' The problem is that it takes really blury photos if your not holding it dead still or your target isnt moving. I dont know what the problem is. The camera does this in auto mode, action mode and in manual mode. Ive tried it with a low f-stop of 2.5 and a realativly high shutter speed 1/100 but it still isnt working. And every shot needs to be pre focused if you want it to work at all. Is it just me or is this camera a steaming pile of dung? BTW, people here seem to just poop or pee on the side walk all the time in mid day. :dead:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Is it the same camera your dad took pics of us on that wallride? They are good pictures, HUGE, but the action is blurry. It's a big ass camera as well. To bad it's not working well.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
mack said:
Heres my trouble:

My Dad bought a new camera for himself a while back, its a 6 mega pixel Konica Minolta.

Anyways, ive been using it the past two days taking pics of whatnot in the city because my Dad hasnt really figured out the whole 'turn camera on deal' The problem is that it takes really blury photos if your not holding it dead still or your target isnt moving. I dont know what the problem is. The camera does this in auto mode, action mode and in manual mode. Ive tried it with a low f-stop of 2.5 and a realativly high shutter speed 1/100 but it still isnt working. And every shot needs to be pre focused if you want it to work at all. Is it just me or is this camera a steaming pile of dung? BTW, people here seem to just poop or pee on the side walk all the time in mid day. :dead:
It sounds like you have a bunch of camera shake going on.

Remember the 1 to 1 rule with your zoom. This actually is easier to apply to SLR cameras, however it will work with digital also. Lets say that camera has an 8x optical zoom. In theory thats 8 x 32mm which = 256mm of zoom. So, if you are zoomed in on something, using all of the zoom, you should be shooting at a shutter speed of at least 1/256th of a second. Dont follow?

If you are using 4x of your optical zoom (4 x 32mm), you are at 128mm. That means you must be shooting AT LEAST 1/128th of a second, to avoid blurry shots.

When I shoot sports, I always shoot at least 1/250th, and thats with a flash, which helps out freezing the subject. Without a flash, I like it to be in the 1/500th range.

1/100th of a second, is actually on the slower shutter speed side. Its not really fast at all.

When shooting sports, always use Manual mode or Tv mode. Manual mode will allow you to set both the fstop and shutter speed, however Tv mode will allow you to set just the shutter speed, and then the camera will automatically adjust the Aperature (fstop) for you. All decent digital cameras these days have this mode....just got to find it.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Agreed, 1/100th of a second is fairly low. At 2.8 none the less! Is this mid-day shooting or more dusk/night. Bump the ISO up a bit to somewhere around 400-800. It will increase shutter speeds and you may be able to go to somewhere around F4-5.6 and get a little more depth-o-field.