Quantcast

Campers

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I used to think this way, then I waited almost an hour for a dipshit with a swastika tattoo to figure out his dump situation on my way home from a long weekend. The fuckwit was afraid to touch his damn rinse hose. It was a real struggle between my desire to get home and my desire to never speak to or help anybody with a swastika tattoo, ultimately I waited it out in the truck with the fam while making fun of him and decided the next time there was a line to dump I'd just haul it home and order a macerator.

Weirdly the truck stop dump stations rarely seem to pop up on any of the apps.
I always hit the trucks stops either before or right after morning traffic rush. never a line

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So we are in the planning phase of a roadtrip to the Grand Canyon when school lets out and are thinking we are going to boondock and camp free as much as we can to offset the gas hike. Hopefully it works out....all pending on if Sq-Earl gets a new truck or not too so I am not spending too much time planning. Hoping to hit some landmarks along the way too and perhaps grab a beer or 3 with some monkeys along the way.
IMG_8707.JPG

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So we are in the planning phase of a roadtrip to the Grand Canyon when school lets out and are thinking we are going to boondock and camp free as much as we can to offset the gas hike. Hopefully it works out....all pending on if Sq-Earl gets a new truck or not too so I am not spending too much time planning. Hoping to hit some landmarks along the way too and perhaps grab a beer or 3 with some monkeys along the way.View attachment 173743
North rim is where its at for sure, Dont bother with any of the RV parks and such around there either since they are a rip off. You will need to tow on dirt and gravel for a bit in order to get to the good spots.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
when did you do this....?

fantastic.
August of 2017. It was AMAZING! We spent almost 3 weeks on the road and hit up some mountain biking when we got to Montana (with Montana Rider and Serial Midget). Hit a bunch of national parks (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Jewel Caverns, Devil's Tower, Mammoth Site, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands, etc) and had an amazing trip with the kids.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
August of 2017. It was AMAZING! We spent almost 3 weeks on the road and hit up some mountain biking when we got to Montana (with Montana Rider and Serial Midget). Hit a bunch of national parks (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Jewel Caverns, Devil's Tower, Mammoth Site, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands, etc) and had an amazing trip with the kids.
Eh Montana sucks but I hear the cowpies are lovely in the Dakotas...
IMG_20170819_113623_copy_1170x2080.jpg

IMG_20170819_200823081_copy_2080x1170.jpg
IMG_20170822_142844_copy_2080x1170.jpg
IMG_20170822_201434623_HDR_copy_1170x2080.jpg
IMG_20170819_113543_copy_2080x1170.jpg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man, I really want to get my van set up with solar. I've been too intimidated to jump into those waters yet, though.
I talked to a guy at Renogy and did a spreadsheet with all my expected draws and put together a basic system that can be added to. Ended up with 4 100w panels and 2 200Ah agm batteries with 40A charger.

My whole truck is all 12v but I have a very nice inverter in case I need it. I got down to 48% when the wife was camping in the FIL's driveway for a week with bad weather.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I talked to a guy at Renogy and did a spreadsheet with all my expected draws and put together a basic system that can be added to. Ended up with 4 100w panels and 2 200Ah agm batteries with 40A charger.

My whole truck is all 12v but I have a very nice inverter in case I need it. I got down to 48% when the wife was camping in the FIL's driveway for a week with bad weather.
I just started going down a rabbit hole of reading/watching info on solar builds yesterday. As of yet, I don't have a real idea what I want to power, aside from a 12v fridge, the Maxxfan and some LED lighting. I don't forsee needing an inverter for anything in our case, really.

I did see that Renogy has premade kits, I'm guessing one of those would do everything I'd need it to once I figure out my actual power needs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just started going down a rabbit hole of reading/watching info on solar builds yesterday. As of yet, I don't have a real idea what I want to power, aside from a 12v fridge, the Maxxfan and some LED lighting. I don't forsee needing an inverter for anything in our case, really.

I did see that Renogy has premade kits, I'm guessing one of those would do everything I'd need it to once I figure out my actual power needs.
Mine is basically the 400w kit with Bluetooth but my Bluetooth module failed so I need a new one.

But that is basically what I have. 2 way fridge, fans, lights, CO2 detector, some USB outlets. We will likely add a microwave at some point. I added the inverter because why not. Also the inverter has a built in transfer switch, so if I'm ever in need of shore power, I'm set up for that, too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, RV peoples:

I'll be trailer-camping next week. It's going to be cold. The trailer will still be winterized.

What do I need to bring? It'll come with propane and I'll be at a site at Golden Gate Canyon SP with electrical hookups. So maybe bring a resistive electric heater?

I'll need to bring my own water so will bring a bunch of collapsible jugs of it.

What else? I've never done this before, only tent camping--although with snow forecast on Tuesday not being in a tent sounds great.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ok, RV peoples:

I'll be trailer-camping next week. It's going to be cold. The trailer will still be winterized.

What do I need to bring? It'll come with propane and I'll be at a site at Golden Gate Canyon SP with electrical hookups. So maybe bring a resistive electric heater?

I'll need to bring my own water so will bring a bunch of collapsible jugs of it.

What else? I've never done this before, only tent camping--although with snow forecast on Tuesday not being in a tent sounds great.
If your plumbing is exposed or not insulted or not in a basement of some kind keep it winterized if you know temps are going to be below freezing. As long as you have plenty of propane you dont need to use an electric heater since you have electricity to run your furnace, but would be a good idea to have one handy if need be. Even with a furnace running full bore in cold temps the 2 tanks on your rig should hold up fine. A furnace will do the job of 5 electric heaters and they usually have a decent thermostat. If you are on a 50 amp circuit you can pretty much run anything in the RV such as microwave, instapot and a kettle. Be sure a put something under your jacks before you level so they dont freeze to the ground. Electric blankets also help in the cold environments to give the furnace a rest since propane is much more expensive than electricity. If you start getting condensation crack a roof vent a smidge.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok, RV peoples:

typewriter

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ok, RV peoples:

You can borrow our water carriers if you like to avoid more plastic being purchased? I'll look how many gallons the three are, but it's what we use this time of year as I don't un-winterize until late may.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Ok, so I looked at that picture more closely. Originally I thought you had backed into that spot, which would have been insane. But then I saw that was the back of the camper facing the camera.
Still, nice job.
F97C5E8A-8419-4F71-B5D5-0A555AFD9E08.jpeg

While I did back in, It was no real feat.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Yes, but damn it would have been something if you had backed in from the other direction!
It seems I always just miss glory. Maybe next time. As we were leaving I noticed the sign that said no trailers. But signs are dumb sometimes. The place was packed with so many vans and roof top tents.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
lol

obligatory whitney pic

They just started eliminating dispersed camping out there, hence the dumb signs. Thanks to some of the nonprofits rei funds.

California Desert Protection and Recreation Act about halfway down the page

They're about to start closing a bunch of the roads through there too. Get it while the gettin still exists!

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I think sign was there because it wasn’t a through route for most trailers. I had to back track to get out. The sign looked old and was just a sticker on a fiberglass flat post ( what’s the proper name?). In any case I’m glad I got it while the gettin was good. I wish I coulda stayed another night. While it sucks they will just close stuff, there was so many fire pits and trash. Place seems like a douche, wanna be, hashtag life magnet. I only ever leave water and coffee grounds behind. I carry a trash grabber and clean places up a bit when time permits. Seems a lot of people have lost this attitude.