Quantcast

Campers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You can borrow our water carriers if you like to avoid more plastic being purchased? I'll look how many gallons the three are, but it's what we use this time of year as I don't un-winterize until late may.
Thanks, but we already bought that extra plastic several months ago.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ugly as it is, that's got time left on it. That said, I would have replaced it also.
I always have 2 on hand, 12 bucks off amazon is a no brainer.

I just dont like to see the rust development on the heater tank bung threads so I take the time to hit it with anti seize and teflon tape to prevent the rust before hooking up to the utilities. Also gives me a chance to flush the water heater.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Started replacing all the incandescents and halogens with LED bulb equivalents in order to lower my wattage consumption and calculate my usage before I jump into solar. I opted for the one sided LED arrays since I can "tune" them and bounce the light rather than have it in the face. Much better light compared to the dull orange of the lava hot incandescents.

The Dinette (work station)

0AE52669-5020-48B4-B867-30A4BF6CBE33.jpeg

I didnt feel a need to replace the sconce fixtures so just bounced the LED array off the wall.

A21E6778-F8AC-41D1-B51B-C6619B9C7B0A.jpeg

The vanity was a huge difference

447E632A-8CEF-48E6-857E-19ABDCAA093A.jpeg

Also replaced all 4 of the exterior docking lights that also double as security lights when parked, huge difference

15BBD2F4-D199-4FFB-931E-024DF228216E.jpeg

After replacing 10 incandescents at 18 watts each for a total of 180 watts I am down to 21 from 180 watts with more bulbs and fixtures on the way.

Started replacing all the incandescents and halogens with LED bulb equivalents in order to lower my wattage consumption and calculate my usage before I jump into solar. I opted for the one sided LED arrays since I can "tune" them and bounce the light rather than have it in the face. Much better light compared to the dull orange of the lava hot incandescents.

The Dinette (work station)

View attachment 174203

I didnt feel a need to replace the sconce fixtures so just bounced the LED array off the wall.

View attachment 174204

The vanity was a huge difference

View attachment 174205

Also replaced all 4 of the exterior docking lights that also double as security lights when parked, huge difference

View attachment 174206

After replacing 10 incandescents at 18 watts each for a total of 180 watts I am down to 21 from 180 watts with more bulbs and fixtures on the way.
It's amazing what LEDs do to reduce power consumption.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Another 100 watts or so down thanks to todays prime delivery. These old puck fixtures would literally get hot enough to burn yourself if you touched them. Tried a 4 pack for 17 bucks to see if they would fit, winner!

12 more puck lights on the way

8024C1B5-5C85-40D4-8AF4-56D1C77EC80B.jpeg

E6405B91-FC0A-4C0C-9B95-0E320EB853D0.jpeg

46AB2594-2189-4784-8004-6CA79B12B4A3.jpeg

Matched up to the same holes perfectly but cut back those stupid inline wire taps and actually used butt connectors.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Water heater tid bit

TLDR: Dont buy a tankless (instant) heater for your RV,

Rewind two+ weeks ago.

Some slick mobile RV tech rolled through the park and put adverts on every rig in this RV park for tankless heater and installation specials. I warned a couple of them not to do it and explained the issues with them, 4 of them went ahead with getting them.

Today,

All 4 of those tankless heaters failed in less than two weeks due to clogged exchangers from hard/mineralized water.

One guy even paid a shop $600 to paint match the exterior of his heater cover to match his coach.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
From that site:

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
getting ready to go fishing at Lake Amador this weekendView attachment 174943View attachment 174948
I keep meaning to ask how you get your kayaks up on top of the camper? I've considered adding crossbars on top of the van (which is 9' up with the pop top), but my Sea Ghost is heavy AF. Atomic Wife hates helping me carry it from the garage to the bed of the truck, so asking for help getting it up that high is a no-go.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I keep meaning to ask how you get your kayaks up on top of the camper? I've considered adding crossbars on top of the van (which is 9' up with the pop top), but my Sea Ghost is heavy AF. Atomic Wife hates helping me carry it from the garage to the bed of the truck, so asking for help getting it up that high is a no-go.

Attach a roller to the back of the van. I am hauling my kayak up 12 feet.