Quantcast

Campers

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
My Mother could not understand why in 1974 I bought a 1972 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser with a warn 8000 winch over a El Camino for my first vehicle.
eric strt6,I have almost read this whole thread and you seem tobe like me,in regards to our Truck. I have been hoping to fish or bait on the matter. Fish,keep my Truck for a Camper,Bait,sell it for nothin that is worth.

93 Ford F-250,8 foot bed,465 gas engine. Largest Ford engine made. You can watch the gas meter drop. She has Two tanks, but I have Spoken to a Die Hard Camping Couple who had my exact Truck. He had a Gas Box in the Bed. I said wow,you’re not playin. He said he had too,Gas was to far and away with his driving while camping. He ran a 5th wheel.

I don’t see many 8 foot campers on Trucks? Is my Truck to old? She is In Grand Shape,like my Bike. Tranny,engine,Shocks,Tires,Body. She is like a Ox,just strong. Mind you the old paint and stripes need love,but all is well for a Camper. I think it is a 1 Ton,but not sure. It had a upgrade,but can’t remember?The Truck came from my Wife’s Ex. I Bought the Dam Truck for my Wife’s 1st Born,for 7000 fucking dollars. Problem was he could not keep a lincense. So I was not going to put him that beast. Still have her.

I have read to purchase in N. Or S. Dakota due to Reg Tags? I am in CA,I think the highest Reg State there is.
I think that is enough overload Info for you,thank you for you’re time.
Avy

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
eric strt6,I have almost read this whole thread and you seem tobe like me,in regards to our Truck. I have been hoping to fish or bait on the matter. Fish,keep my Truck for a Camper,Bait,sell it for nothin that is worth.

93 Ford F-250,8 foot bed,465 gas engine. Largest Ford engine made. You can watch the gas meter drop. She has Two tanks, but I have Spoken to a Die Hard Camping Couple who had my exact Truck. He had a Gas Box in the Bed. I said wow,you’re not playin. He said he had too,Gas was to far and away with his driving while camping. He ran a 5th wheel.

I don’t see many 8 foot campers on Trucks? Is my Truck to old? She is In Grand Shape,like my Bike. Tranny,engine,Shocks,Tires,Body. She is like a Ox,just strong. Mind you the old paint and stripes need love,but all is well for a Camper. I think it is a 1 Ton,but not sure. It had a upgrade,but can’t remember?The Truck came from my Wife’s Ex. I Bought the Dam Truck for my Wife’s 1st Born,for 7000 fucking dollars. Problem was he could not keep a lincense. So I was not going to put him that beast. Still have her.

I have read to purchase in N. Or S. Dakota due to Reg Tags? I am in CA,I think the highest Reg State there is.
I think that is enough overload Info for you,thank you for you’re time.
Avy

8 foot beds have the most slide in camper options. Your biggest limitation is weight of the camper. You have a F250 SRW that is the issue. Tire and wheel capacity but you can up grade that and probably your leaf springs will need replacing due to age. Still you are going to need a smaller camper something without a slide or large rear overhang. Look at the weight tag on campers then tack on 800-1000 pounds because that's the real world ready to travel weight. the tag on the camper is bullshit. Look up the rear axle rating from the axle mfg for your model. that's your max load ( not your safe load just max) now go to a cat scale and weigh the rig. Take the rating of your current tires and double that to give you your current tire load capacity, subtract the weight of your rear axle on the cat scale and that's the load you can currently carry on your wheels and tires. Now you can swap wheels and tires to carry more but you axle rating is something not to exceed.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so on my last trip I lost power to the fridge. Voltage tester confirmed that I had 12v right up to the control buttons on the front panel but no voltage going back to the fridge the circuit board behind the buttons had failed failed. I ordered a new one on line (Norcold ) they shipped it overnight. Took me ten minutes to swap components and my fridge is back up and running.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
A253DB59-DFC5-4BA3-85E5-A62F7CC30724.jpeg

new shower head and adjustable bar showed up yesterday, finally have a shower taller than myself. Better pattern with less GPM even. According to my calculations, I will be able to get a minimum of 16 days of showers while Boondocking on a full freshwater tank. Previous shower head was 9 days tops.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 175282

new shower head and adjustable bar showed up yesterday, finally have a shower taller than myself. Better pattern with less GPM even. According to my calculations, I will be able to get a minimum of 16 days of showers while Boondocking on a full freshwater tank. Previous shower head was 9 days tops.
what's a 'shower?'

gonefirefightin

free wieners

Ironically the bulk of American #vanlife peeps are in the genre due to high housing costs and low income streams. It has become an over glorified term for "I live in my car" but use the gram to church it up with #scenery and #wanderlust. Yet another example of misdirection via social media accounts. Several places on the Oregon coast no longer allow overnight parking directly due to the #vanlife contingent dumping grey water, filling garbage cans with toilet cartridges and vehicles running all night because they dont have traditional climate control like an RV.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ironically the bulk of American #vanlife peeps are in the genre due to high housing costs and low income streams. It has become an over glorified term for "I live in my car" but use the gram to church it up with #scenery and #wanderlust. Yet another example of misdirection via social media accounts. Several places on the Oregon coast no longer allow overnight parking directly due to the #vanlife contingent dumping grey water, filling garbage cans with toilet cartridges and vehicles running all night because they dont have traditional climate control like an RV.
LOL

Those fuckers live in houses that cost millions of dollars.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
We have the same issue in Aotearoa — We call them ‘Freedom campers’, it’s quite a charitable name for people who visit, hire or buy a crappy ‘self contained’ camper and as per Oregon, shit all over the place whilst providing little to no economic return. They are slowly being squeezed out of a lot of places now. We don’t really have massive RVs like the US does because you literally couldn’t drive those things down 90% of the smaller roads here without damage to both. You see one or two occasionally going between dedicated RV campgrounds which are accessible by major roads.

Also running a parked vehicle overnight = Fuck right off! Unbelievable.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I am talking about the ones that buy a contractors van and half ass convert it. not RV vans
Most of those are just rich jobless kids trying to “find themselves”, the fancy vans are IT people who work remote and have already found themselves. Then there’s the homeless meth heads that live at the beach here, biggest difference is that they dump their black tank as well as their grey on the side of the road.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Most of those are just rich jobless kids trying to “find themselves”, the fancy vans are IT people who work remote and have already found themselves. Then there’s the homeless meth heads that live at the beach here, biggest difference is that they dump their black tank as well as their grey on the side of the road.
what about the rich IT people using a contractors van and with an half ass conversion? I feel excluded....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
shit all over the place whilst providing little to no economic return.
the true measure of human worth

I mean really that phrase could both describe most of the planet, and also be used to purge whichever ones you don't like the looks of

I guess I better go figure out how to provide economic worth today so my digestion is warranted. I just made some strong coffee so I better make someone some money!

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I'm really really hoping more of that sort of thing makes the rounds as a rebound from the mass marketing of the outdoors during covid madness.
Me too

This guy <= wants to buy someone else's used Ram Promaster half assed camper van as most of the camping around YNP is hard-sided preferred these days and da' bears are hangry...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FYI, Just finished around 13 quotes for RV insurance and found Good sam to be by far the cheapest with the most reasonable tiers. Cut my premium in half with a better policy of coverages.
I could not find an insurance company willing to insure a truck I built in my front yard as an RV.