Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Scheduled service for Frita. Alignment, oil change, transmission service and rear diff oil change. Other than the steering box, back brakes and rear springs, she's all new underneath. Figuring the rear springs when I take her in, might add a leaf when they swap what's there.

Then I get to regut and redo, yay.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Scheduled service for Frita. Alignment, oil change, transmission service and rear diff oil change. Other than the steering box, back brakes and rear springs, she's all new underneath. Figuring the rear springs when I take her in, might add a leaf when they swap what's there.

Then I get to regut and redo, yay.
You taking her out anywhere interesting this year?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Fema Camper gets delivered tomorrow. It's on temporary wheels which get removed and replaced with precast piers. Septic gets attached with the well and catchment system. Solar later on next week. New fridge ordered. Thinking of getting an air fryer stove as soon as I figure out the Electric system. Nyseg has a grant I qualify for. Spectrum has fiber up to my neighbors as part of Rural Internet access program. 5G on my phone works too. Only recently has that been an option. Well hit water at 400 feet saving me thousands. Pressure is good enough to require a blowoff.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You taking her out anywhere interesting this year?
No, because of Indy (our 12ish year old Rottie) has a tough time getting up and down. I'm also like 2 years behind, so the goal is to get the last of the big stuff done and have only the shower left.

The shower is a pain and still not sold on the idea we NEED it, but I have most of the stuff and have room for it. Just need to build it out.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
No, because of Indy (our 12ish year old Rottie) has a tough time getting up and down. I'm also like 2 years behind, so the goal is to get the last of the big stuff done and have only the shower left.

The shower is a pain and still not sold on the idea we NEED it, but I have most of the stuff and have room for it. Just need to build it out.
my first camper was a bus with a cardboard box to shit in, the. I got a little camper and I was thinking “do we really need a toilet and a shower?” I said things like nobody’s pooping it because I don’t want to clean it out. That plan didn’t last 24hrs in the field.

A shower camping is fucking awesome. You go from let’s go home to let’s stay in like 8 minutes. Also women love it too they might even love it more. So yes you need a shower.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, SO's vary but for domestic harmony, at the very least an outdoor shower off the back (with some kind of privacy) is recommended, but something inside is even better if you have room.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah, SO's vary but for domestic harmony, at the very least an outdoor shower off the back (with some kind of privacy) is recommended, but something inside is even better if you have room.
Exactly. We have a shower, but don't use it often because we don't have a large gray water holding tank. We have an outdoor shower that we fill and set up (very rustic) and it's great! We do use the toilet and the tub is overflow storage usually for us too but we travel with 2 kids and a dog in our 18 foot camper.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My only issue with the shower is the amount of water. I was in the Navy and can take a proper shower with like 2 gallons of water. The wife, not so much.

My fresh tank is 25 gallons, my shitter tank is 18 gallons. The original plan was to install another 18 gallon for the shower. Would double for bathroom sink waste. I really don't have room for a larger fresh tank, but could add to it if there is a source. I've only filled the shitter once. :rofl:

What I want is a 10 gallon recirculating shower. Then it's a stand alone system and I'm not sweating my supply. So kinda holding out for that.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
My only issue with the shower is the amount of water. I was in the Navy and can take a proper shower with like 2 gallons of water. The wife, not so much.

My fresh tank is 25 gallons, my shitter tank is 18 gallons. The original plan was to install another 18 gallon for the shower. Would double for bathroom sink waste. I really don't have room for a larger fresh tank, but could add to it if there is a source. I've only filled the shitter once. :rofl:

What I want is a 10 gallon recirculating shower. Then it's a stand alone system and I'm not sweating my supply. So kinda holding out for that.
That's why we use the shower bag method. Husband and I are good with 2 gallon water showers...kids are NOT! A recirculating shower would be the bomb!

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Exactly. We have a shower, but don't use it often because we don't have a large gray water holding tank. We have an outdoor shower that we fill and set up (very rustic) and it's great! We do use the toilet and the tub is overflow storage usually for us too but we travel with 2 kids and a dog in our 18 foot camper.
they make a sewer cap with a hose bib on it since your presumably dumping it on the ground anyway.

need more fresh water? Water bandit for non hose bib faucets and I use a 10 gallon road shower on the truck for excess water. Could use a abs pipe or they make water transport bags and jugs. Many ways to skin a cat I guess.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
they make a sewer cap with a hose bib on it since your presumably dumping it on the ground anyway.

need more fresh water? Water bandit for non hose bib faucets and I use a 10 gallon road shower on the truck for excess water. Could use a abs pipe or they make water transport bags and jugs. Many ways to skin a cat I guess.
We have been looking at the truck road shower too....next big trip out west will likely need one since we usually boondock.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
We have been looking at the truck road shower too....next big trip out west will likely need one since we usually boondock.
it was expensive is the only downside for me. I use it to clean kids feet/shower, dishes, cleaning stuff, dog washing and water transport. You can’t drink water stored in abs pipe so the aluminum was a good choice for me.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
We camp in this when we take the SxS out. Well we’ve done it once a couple weeks ago. Strapped a queen size mattress to the wall (Murphy bed), kids slept on camping pads. The toilet goes in a shower tent outside with the sink next to it. We swam everyday and it rained so only one outdoor bathing suit road shower. But the water was warm. Everyone had fun and was comfy.
1413F4C2-7843-4A6D-B0A5-7176A80DEBCA.jpeg
F8D3F036-31FF-4E82-BC84-1B72EC9559B1.jpeg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Neighbors came up the hill and helped clean up. Very respectful of the gate. Kids are respectful and polite. I gave them permission to ride their toys on our property. I grilled them hotdogs and fed Dad a few beers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Was the water limit from being on a sub?
I need 2 gallons of water just to wash my ass.
It's standard practice. The reality is the fresh water supply on board is basically endless, but it's a tradition, I guess. Came in handy in New Orleans for the gravity showers we built. That first shower after being there 6 days was glorious. Baby wipes only do so much.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My repair bill tripled, yay. Went to take the truck in and had no brake fluid in the rear chamber. I replaced everything up front, but was hoping I could wait on the rears. Nope. So I am going to take it in at lunch and add rear brakes to the list ($1500+).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Solar guy was unprepared. We sent his mumbling bumbling ass back to town. After we unloaded our equipment out of his truck. He sat in the cab of his truck and played with his phone the entire time. He only came out to eat his lunch. He wasn't paying attention and the Dogs ate it. His Boss called and asked me where he was, and I could see he was at the end of my new driveway. Just parked there. He didn't close the gate when he finally left. What a shithead. The Jackery box still kicks ass. Currently supplying all the power needs.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
navy shower. both Ruth ( Lt, US Navy) and I are good with it. wet down shut off lather up, turn on rise, turn off, dry off. I can stretch my 38 gallons of fresh to two weeks including the toilet. Paper plates for boon docking are a must to stretch the water supply. Folks are always amazed that our truck camper has a dry bath, AC, Furnace, water heater, fridge, freezer, 2 sinks, oven , range, microwave, dinette and a full size queen bed, 2000 watt generator, 200 watts of solar,

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh damn, repair bill on the truck is $4500, holy hell. I updated the spreadsheet and including redoing the inside and getting the rest of the crap, I'm all in at $22,800 total. Still not awful and likely still cheaper than buying a Sprinter.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Seems like the place to write this since I am camping.

Colorado is weird, lakes you can use a gas engine on a boat but can not swim.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Colorado is weird, lakes you can use a gas engine on a boat but can not swim.
We have a pretty big camping area around a reservoir that’s like that. They stock it with trout, and you can drive around in a gas engines not as long as it gets hosed down before entering the water, the run-off from the hose ends up in the lake though so I don’t know what that does. If you so much as touch the water you’re in for a big ass fine and get kicked out.

WTF?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Checked on Frita today and when they were putting the transmission back together they broke something, so they are waiting on that. They replaced the u bolts, so once they can move it again, they will pull it into the shop and do the alignment and brakes. Should be done early next week..

Picking out the new flooring this weekend..

<edit> also saw they wanted $250 to install my rear shocks. That's ok, I can handle that for that price. :rofl:

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
San Diego is like that with our reservoirs. No swimming, I always figured it was the drinking water and 10k people a day would swim and piss in it. Also reservoirs can have unstable beaches because it’s not a natural lake for 1000’s of years.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Foot/foul odor smell had taken over. I pealed up the floor to address the issue. Empty void was clean as a whistle. Vapor barrier and foam board installed in the gaps. New floor installed. Smell is mostly gone. I just think I am imagining it. Most of the cigarette filth has been removed for the most part. New screens in the windows. Stove and Fridge have been scraped and related filth behind them has been removed. lazy susan and cupborards have been repaired. Recoated the roof after I fixed the rust spots with the grinder. Caulked above all the openings. Built new stairs and put pavers along the walkway. Buried the pipe from the well and the conduit from the batteries to the outdoor kitchen. My friend Max took his Kubota and built a trench from the roof out to the tree line and away from the walkway. Most excellent. I filled the trench with all the rip i had left over. I am out of money and all the other shit and that will have to wait. I cheaped out on the stone for the driveway. That required a new windshield after my neighbors Polaris shot up a stone into it. Darryl and his other brother Darryl and their Amish friend dragged the trailer and the storage container into place. Huge ass wasps' nest has formed in my gate. I have not got stung yet. But it is just a matter of time. Ring security system works well. The Crows who hang out on my gate and set it off. They seem unaffected by the wasps. Mama porcupine has setup camp in my temporary wood pile it seems. Not sure how to address that. I am assuming all the scratch marks on the generator/battery box are hers. I am thinking a trap is in good order. Just need time to devise one...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was the stove. The whole broiler part had some kind of greasy leakage. All the flooring below the stove was nasty. New stove works well. If only by virtue of not being rotten. Solar box seems to only charge to 86%. I will not be satisfied until it gets to 100% as promised. I have followed all the discharge and charge instructions. New batteries work fine.