Quantcast

Campers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why the insistance on electric power for a camper? Of all things a shitpile of batteries could be used for, a van that may see 5-10k miles/year really seems like a waste of resources.
Yeah, rationally you are 100% right

/DEF systems enter the chat

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My series of vans have served as rolling campsites in that they're normally stocked with tents and sleeping bags (and a cot for long hauls). Every built out camper van that I have squeezed myself into has been stupidly cramped.
Could you figure out a way to at least sleep in the van as to not have to pull out a tent every night?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've told lots of folks that if you already have a bunch of camping gear, you don't really NEED that much to be vehicularly housed. In milder climates all you really need is a cot or inflatable mattress, but the list grows as you move away from perfect temps. For warmer weather (and bugs) you want a couple of screened windows/vents and at least one fan. For colder temps some kind of insulation and space heater becomes pretty important. Otherwise, although you won't have the luxury and convenience of a full build out, you can make it work with ordinary camp gear.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
One of my only regrets in life is not camping and mountain biking more. I’ve camped in many ways. But I do love my camper with a shitter and a shower. Thought I would hate having the tvs in it. But some places it’s great and a way to get the kids to chill out. When it’s a stop over or crappy place or koa when the purpose is a hotel room and not CAMPING. @Toshi you only live once and you ain’t getting younger. At least that’s what I tell myself.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm right at $18k or so on mine. The toilet was the second thing I did after our first trip out. The late night trek to the can was enough for the wife to insist that was next. I'm still on the fence with the shower. If I can do a recirculating then I will. But a regular shower can blow through my fresh water (22ish gallons).
Most RV shower head have a start/stop feature. So long as you use that, it's easy to take a shower with only a few gallons. Wet down, pause the flow to soap up, then rinse off. Wife and I could both shower and not deplete the 5 gallon hot water tank.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Most RV shower head have a start/stop feature. So long as you use that, it's easy to take a shower with only a few gallons. Wet down, pause the flow to soap up, then rinse off. Wife and I could both shower and not deplete the 5 gallon hot water tank.
I was in the Navy, I can do it with a gallon. My wife? Not so much. :rofl:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm right at $18k or so on mine. The toilet was the second thing I did after our first trip out. The late night trek to the can was enough for the wife to insist that was next. I'm still on the fence with the shower. If I can do a recirculating then I will. But a regular shower can blow through my fresh water (22ish gallons).
This is OUR full time #1 bathroom. I know, she's a keeper.

1676330332243.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Since Eric bought his rig used, are there not comparable Sprinter-ish setups on the used market for $80k? or is still a crazy post-COVID inflated market?
The fuckery is still strong from dealers for new vans, here's MB Westminster.

Merc website:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 175901.JPG

Dealer website:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 175931.JPG

Good job they have that $599 dealer fee otherwise they'd go broke!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Can you street park that thing in a downtown area of a quaint mountain village, while prowling for artisanal warm beverages?
I have in Silverton, Durango, Jackson Hole, various west slope of the sierras towns, Bend Oregon. the camper i only as wide as the dually wheels. the length is the issue when parking. As soon as I park I fold in the mirrors

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Navy shower, we use under 2 gallons: wet up, shut off, lather up. turn water back on rinse off shut off. I do dishes the same way. I might use a quart of water on a days worth of dishes.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Sometimes if I’m trying to extend my stay I put a bowl in the sink to catch water. Then throw it outside. Not of it’s super gross though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@johnbryanpeters @Jozz are your sprinters RWD or 4x4?

Found a 2019 that has a simple build out wife and I like, but it's RWD. Would definitely prefer more traction being in CO. Milesage is more than I'd like ~80k, but it's also not priced at $150k+ like most of them...
Discovered it's likely an ex-rental, so been thrashed by everyone who's rented it and maintained badly given some of the reports against their other listed vehicles.

Search continues back to looking for an AWD transit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that thing needs wheelie bars on the back

I'm sure the front end steering is totally precise and not light at all
I, too, would love to see axle weights on that rig.

On top of a station wagon masquerading as a truck.
This isn't a fair cop. It has a smooth front fascia but the Hilux is a legit body on frame midsize truck.