Quantcast

Campers

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey @eric strt6

if you were to buy another truck camper what would it be?

I’m shopping for one so I can haul a tool trailer and build/live full time out of.
all depends on the truck long bed vs short bed. Srw vs drw. Keep in mind that the mfg weight sticker is going to be 750 to 1000 pounds lighter than reality. Now is a good time to buy used. I like Lance as they are easy for me to work on. I got mine used from Big Country RV in Bend

If I was going to live in it I want something with at least a dinette slide out. I do like my Lance 1062 but you need a long bed dually to carry the weight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gff's got the long bed. but his is a srw 1 ton (with similar bro-wheels to your drw) iirc.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
all depends on the truck long bed vs short bed. Srw vs drw. Keep in mind that the mfg weight sticker is going to be 750 to 1000 pounds lighter than reality. Now is a good time to buy used. I like Lance as they are easy for me to work on. I got mine used from Big Country RV in Bend

If I was going to live in it I want something with at least a dinette slide out. I do like my Lance 1062 but you need a long bed dually to carry the weight.
I have 7350 lbs and a long bed to play with so most of anything will work. I was asking if there was anything new and improved out there other than what we’ve owned in the past, my search is pretty much down to a lance, arctic fox, host or eagle cap

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Interesting concept.
I recon once you got it up to ramming speed to could totally ruin some 1%er's super yacht outing!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Interesting concept.
I recon once you got it up to ramming speed to could totally ruin some 1%er's super yacht outing!

Damn, I'm disappointed that you have to tow it to the water. I totally thought it was drivable and you just drive out to sea.

Still pretty cool

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Fix one problem and discover another.

I bought a used Malone Kayak trailer. The wiring was shot (major pinches and shorts) so I replaced the wiring harness. Thats when I found out most of the bulbs were bad. Fixed that but the marker lights weren't working. That's when I noticed that none of the truck camper marker lights worked but the turn brake and reverse lights do work. Had to think about it then it dawned on me the trailer and camper marker light run off the same fuse/relay in the truck. Now I just have to track that blow fuse/relay down. I have spares for both.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Had to contact Malone trailers. The guy I bought it from never put on the. Vin and tire loading sticker or kept the certificate of origin. Luckily Malone can use the axle serial# to track the Vin#. I justhadto provide a photo of the axle serial number and a copy of the bill of sale. As soon as the stickers get here I can register and plate the trailer. I'm going to mount a Thule cargo box in the center and take the oem kayak off and replace them with j mounts. It will be nice to not store any gear in the camper or car trunk any more.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have an ARE shell coming for the new truck. Talked to the Leer distributer first and they basically said "don't buy Leer, the locks all freeze".

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

gonefirefightin

free wieners
One of the construction workers has a home built "teardrop" trailer made from a Harbor Freight trailer. Pretty creative.

View attachment 209065
This topic was in a convo the other day, a couple years ago it was huge youtube trend, peeps by the masses were running out to HF freight, buying this 1720lb capacity trailer for $600 bucks then investing thousands of dollars and thousands of pounds resulting in these things absolutely disintegrating on the highways and roads. After hitting 9 states in the RV last year you will almost certainly find someone with one of these in an rv park that is trying to patch it back together to get it back home or just junk it and buy a real RV. The wheel bearings on these trailers are a far cry from a bearing at all.

This topic was in a convo the other day, a couple years ago it was huge youtube trend, peeps by the masses were running out to HF freight, buying this 1720lb capacity trailer for $600 bucks then investing thousands of dollars and thousands of pounds resulting in these things absolutely disintegrating on the highways and roads. After hitting 9 states in the RV last year you will almost certainly find someone with one of these in an rv park that is trying to patch it back together to get it back home or just junk it and buy a real RV. The wheel bearings on these trailers are a far cry from a bearing at all.
Anything from Harbor Freight is only a crude simulacrum of what it is described as.